Great Taiwanese

I’d have to say Bai Bing Bing

God, I hate that woman. She’s so tacky.

Great Taiwanese? Timmy at Watersheds.

Zhugeliang (the entertainer of course)

Chen Sheng

As long as we’re talking about entertainers: Chen Lei, Zhang Zhen-yue and of course, Wu Bai. I used to know Bai Bingbing when I was working in TV; we would chat now and then. But then after I left the whole kidnap/murder thing happened, and the awesome power she actually wields rather stunned me. She basically sicced the government on the three suspects after the murder (she had refused to pay the ransom). I knew her ex was a Japanese gangster, but I had no idea she was still that powerful. I suppose that’s one kind of ‘great’.

You think so, Poagao? You might have more intimate knowledge than me but I’d figure her “power” simply comes from her presence in the media. . . . also, and I am getting away from my cynical roots here, but considering the circumstances if the case I don’t think the police had to be sicced on the perpetraters. that case still rankles me, I trace the beginning of the Taiwanese cockroach “media” phenomenon to that case with their hounding of the victim’s family and their insensitivity to the confidentiality of the attempt to bring the poor girl back alive. the subcurrent of sympathy for the victim and criticism of Bai Bingbing also mystified me. How was she supposed to react to her daughter being tortured, murdered, and dumped in a ditch? and what about that south African family who was kidnapped and then among others showed sympathy to Chen? I figure if one of their own had had their finger chopped off or been killed the Christian spirit would have been right out the window.

Daltongang,

Chen did shoot the military attache’s daughter - apparently it was an accident as he let rip at the cops who were sneaking up on the house.

What about the accusations Bai Bing-bing had orchestrated the whole thing to get money out of her Yakuza ex-hubby? Or, there was hope here. her vow to quit her singing and tv career?

Truly a very weird twist in Taiwan’s post- martial law history, and as pointed out, a sorry landmark in the development of the media.

Did anyone see footage of those first big gun battles? The camera crews stormed into the buildings ahead of the cops

My money for top Taiwanese is on Lin Yi-hsiung - ex chairman of the DPP. A lot of Taiwanese say that the killing of his daughters and mother, in what is widely believed to be a KMT hit, was the turning point for the ‘tang wei’ movement. I was fortunate enough to meet and shake hands with him at Song Shan airport soon after the DPP won power. An incredibly humble man

HG

sadaharu oh

CKS or that other guy on the money.

That other guy on the money wasn’t Taiwanese.

That other guy on the money wasn’t Taiwanese.[/quote]

Neither was CKS, was he? It was a joke! Kinda like the question, or rather the topic. I mean, when the word ‘great’, as indefinable as it is, is used, it ought to imply more than just being well known in a relatively isolated community. Great Taiwanese? What about Chen Shui Bian?

The person or persons who made all my toys from when I was growing up.

Lily Tian or is it Tien. Do a search on Google. She is HOT! I think there are many great directors. Anyway, I think we need to speak Taiwanese or Mandarin really well, to judge this. But judging Lily Tian only needs your eyes. She is 100% Taiwanese not from China.

Here is one link hubba hubba… Check out the gallery.

popidols.net/go2.php//conten … dol_id=834

Does Lee Teng Hui count? Father of Taiwan democracy? I know he is hakka, but he was born and raised here. No flames please if you don’t like him.

She’s aboriginal?

[quote]Lily Tian or is it Tien. Do a search on Google. She is HOT! I think there are many great directors. Anyway, I think we need to speak Taiwanese or Mandarin really well, to judge this. But judging Lily Tian only needs your eyes. She is 100% Taiwanese not from China.

[/quote]

Hobart,
I doubt you would be saying that if you saw the tv show she used to host about a year back. She’s kind of like the Cindy Crawford of Taiwan. BTW she’s got a mustache (in between pluckings).

She’s aboriginal?[/quote]

No, I assume her family is from Taiwan for the past 300-400 years. No need to make snide political pedantic comments. Is this going to digress into a political thread now? I suppose, there is no such thing as an American, New Zealander or Australian either huh, only aboriginals all the rest are Europeans no? I will let me American friends know that the next time I talk to them.

Master Cheng Yen and the volunteers of the Tzu Chi Foundation :smiley:

That’s a great one!!! Excellent choice!

Lin Hwai-Ming, founder of the Cloud Gate Dance Theater.
:smiley:

Great Taiwanese immigrant: George Mackay :smiley: