Greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time

:blush:

So Undertow was their second? I never new that!

Alice website

I love ā€˜Opiateā€™ as well. Tool were, and still are, so innovative, melodic, and damn heavy.

I saw them live at the Lollapalooza side stage, I think it was ā€˜92, before they had made it big. There were only about 50 people watching them, I sat on the grass right in front of center stage. I was trippinā€™, and I couldnā€™t believe what I was hearing, it was amazing.[/quote]

Opiate that is album fuck it rocks

Actually Tools first ā€œAlbumā€ was Undertow. Opiate is an EP.

allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ā€¦ 60tr49klkx

Alice website[/quote]

No need for the red face. Like Lo Bo To said, Opiate was indeed a 6 song EP that wasnā€™t popular until Undertow came out and elevated them up to rockstar status. Damn, ever since I read this thread iā€™ve been listening to Tool all the live long day! (Learn to Swim = great song)

Anyway, great heavy metal albums:

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (been done but I second)

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

Possessed - Seven Churches

Hail Satan!!! :fume: :smiling_imp:

oh, this thread makes me thing of all those jewels in my fatherā€™s loft so far away. Iā€™d love to hear a bit of the old Slayer, Tool and Megadeth againā€¦complete with vinyl crackles, pops and hissesā€¦you might even find me rockinā€™ to a bit of ā€œSlippery when wetā€ too :blush:

The thing about heavy metal is Iā€™d like it if it were a bit more rock and roll. AC/DC were pretty rock and roll but most heavy metal bands arenā€™t.

Deleted due to non-sensicallity.

Alice website[/quote]

No need for the red face. Like Lo Bo To said, Opiate was indeed a 6 song EP that wasnā€™t popular until Undertow came out and elevated them up to rockstar status. Damn, ever since I read this thread Iā€™ve been listening to Tool all the live long day! (Learn to Swim = great song)

Anyway, great heavy metal albums:

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (been done but I second)

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

Possessed - Seven Churches

Hail Satan!!! :fume: :smiling_imp:[/quote]

learn to swim is a great song that whole album is rockā€™n

I also was listening to Panatraā€™s cematery gates cheesy but a goodie

Tool are great but I wouldnā€™t really call them heavy metal. More like arty-alternative-weird metal or something like that :smiley:

In terms of what is commonly regarded as heavy metal, my favourite albums would have to be:

GNR - appetite for destruction
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (why has no-one mentioned this yet?)
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Led Zepplin IV is fantastic but not really heavy metal, far more bluesy/rock 'n roll.

[quote=ā€œtrapjawā€]Tool are great but I wouldnā€™t really call them heavy metal. More like arty-alternative-weird metal or something like that :smiley:

In terms of what is commonly regarded as heavy metal, my favourite albums would have to be:

GNR - appetite for destruction
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (why has no-one mentioned this yet?)
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
.[/quote]

I just burned a CD of some goood sabbath.

Iron madien NOTB was imbedded in my brain during my teens.

Rock on! :smiling_imp:

Speaking of Iron Maiden

Has anyone ever seen the video ā€œLive After Deathā€?

One of the best concerts I have ever seen.

I saw the ā€œSeventh Son of a Seventh Sonā€ concert in Toronto. My Dad took me. It was my first concert ever. :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œLo Bo Toā€]Speaking of Iron Maiden

I saw the ā€œSeventh Son of a Seventh Sonā€ concert in Toronto. My Dad took me. It was my first concert ever. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Saw IM at Donnington in '87. Maiden headlining with Kiss (Mmmm?) Dave Lee Roth, and first on the billā€¦Gā€™nā€™R. Rockin show.

I miss going to shows.

Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Anthrax- Among The Living
Iron Maiden - Killers
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Danzig- How The Gods Kill
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love

I wouldnā€™t consider early AC/DC metal.

[quote=ā€œLo Bo Toā€]Speaking of Iron Maiden

I saw the ā€œSeventh Son of a Seventh Sonā€ concert in Toronto. My Dad took me. It was my first concert ever. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Man, youā€™re luckyā€¦ Once Iron Maiden played in south Africa, but I was about 13 years old and didnā€™t really know who they were. I do remember press reports of groups of Christians (from one of those charismatic type churches) singing songs and praying outside the stadium for all of the lost souls who were going to watch the devil worshippers. :laughing:

Anyway, I donā€™t know if any of you have seen it, but the DVD Iron Maiden: The Early Years is available in Taiwan. It has some awesome footage of some of their first concerts (with their first drummer, Clive Burr), all from about 1979 - 83 (I think). Well worth a watch, if you see this one anywhere, pick it up.

Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
AC/DC, Back in Black
Ozzy Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz
Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast
Scorpions, Blackout
Motorhead, Motorhead
Metallica, Master of Puppets
Slayer, Reign in Blood
Megadeth, Peace Sells but whoā€™s Buying?
Sound Garden, Bad Motor Finger
Alice in Chains, Dirt

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yeah, AC/DCā€™s Back In Black kicked ASS!

I really donā€™t like heavy metal, but, in 1992 I was in Pittsburgh and my fatherā€™s associateā€™s wife asked me if I would do her a favor and take her teenage son to see some rock concertā€¦ she didnā€™t want to goā€¦ so, I saw this show:

Headline Artist - GUNS Nā€™ ROSES
Support - METALLICA and FAITH NO MORE
Date - 26 July 1992
Venue - Three Rivers Stadium
City/Town - Pittsburgh
State - PA
Country - USA

I only knew/recognized one songā€¦ GnR covered Dylanā€™s Knockinā€™ on Heavenā€™s Doorā€¦ I asked the kid if he knew who wrote that song and he replied, ā€œGuns n Rosesā€. :unamused:

Loudest show I ever attended.

I used to work in a group home a long time ago and all the kids thought this song was great although none of them believed me that it was written by Dylan until I showed them the credits on the insert. Then one wanted to hear the Dylan song because he could never figure out what Axl was singing. (Not sure if he figured it out from Dylanā€™s singing either though)

[quote=ā€œTigermanā€]I really donā€™t like heavy metal, but, in 1992 I was in Pittsburgh and my fatherā€™s associateā€™s wife asked me if I would do her a favor and take her teenage son to see some rock concertā€¦ she didnā€™t want to goā€¦ so, I saw this show:

Headline Artist - GUNS Nā€™ ROSES
Support - METALLICA and FAITH NO MORE
Date - 26 July 1992
Venue - Three Rivers Stadium
City/Town - Pittsburgh
State - PA
Country - USA

I only knew/recognized one songā€¦ GnR covered Dylanā€™s Knockinā€™ on Heavenā€™s Doorā€¦ I asked the kid if he knew who wrote that song and he replied, ā€œGuns n Rosesā€. :unamused:

Loudest show I ever attended.[/quote]

I went to that same tour in Seattle a few months after you. October I believe. Rather than Faith No More opening, I got to see Metallica and Motorhead. Also, James Hetfield wasnā€™ t playing guitar because he got burned by a pyrotechnic mishap early in that tour.

Speaking of Metallica. Did you know they offer free downloads of thier shows at:

livemetallica.com/

All you need is an email address, it is completely free and legal. I just downloaded a show from Birmigham UK in '96 which has quite good sound quality. Some of the recordings are a bit ropey but if youā€™re a fan the live downloads are worth a listen. Even the stuff of the Load and Reload albums sounds good live.

Enjoy.