🏝 Taitung | Green Island

Visited Green Island recently.

The ferry is nice with air conditioning and comfortable. Seats are not reserved but there are two sections. I paid NT$900 for roundtrip which included VIP section. When you buy a ferry boat ticket even in advance for a certain time, you’re not guaranteed to get that time. You might buy a ticket for 9:30 a.m. and show up if they tell you the boat is full you have to wait 2 hours to the next ferry. This is because other people have priority at all times and can push you to back of line. Get in line early if possible and get on the boat.

As you’re approaching the island you see hundreds and hundreds of scooters available for rent. But then when you get off the ferry and walk up to a scooter shop, no one tries to assist you. We went to four different shops and said hello and everybody’s just in the back napping or something. Finally rented one for NT$200 for entire day.

There are a few scuba shops and some shops to borrow snorkel gear.

The island is 18 kilometers around and you can ride it in about 30 minutes. Half of the way is beautiful rocky beach and the other half looks mostly like any other place in Taiwan. Shops and houses…

They’re not really many places to swim on a sand beach I think I saw two. The best places for snorkeling are to the right after exited the harbor.

Most restaurants and shops are closed in the afternoon. So if you want to eat between lunch and dinner or have a snack, not so easy but you can go to a convenience store.

The hotels are pretty simple and it maybe ok to stay one night and enjoy the island at sunset and maybe additional rides around the island with some hiking.

Much more crowded and weekends than the quiet weekday.

It appears that most people make all their arrangements in advance for scooter, scuba, etc. instead of just arriving and finding something.

1 Like

Starting on Wednesday May 17 (Green Island Human Rights Memorial Day), there will be some temporary exhibits on Green Island about Taiwan’s White Terror period. May 17 is commemorated as the first day the KMT regime shipped political prisoners to Green Island in 1951.

Some details about the event are indicated in a Taipei Times article linked below. An excerpt:

The Ministry of Culture . . . has invited the public to visit Green Island (綠島) and see the exhibition featuring letters, handicrafts and cultural items made by former prisoners, as well as another exhibition featuring wood carvings by political prisoner Chen Wu-chen (陳武鎮).

Chen was sentenced to two years in Green Island prison because he wrote “I am against KMT rule” during an examination in 1969, which he did not erase when handing in the paper.

“My works aim to reflect the fight against injustice. Many people were locked up and many were executed. We must never forget,” Chen said.

Full article:

Guy

1 Like

Reviving this thread to link a thoughtful and moving story by a mixed-race Taiwanese American named Beia Giebel who, in 2018, had an opportunity to spend time in Taiwan through the government-sponsored OCAC Language Study Program for Compatriot Youth.

When her parents visted her, they finally had a chance to learn more about the story of her grandfather and his unjust imprisonment on Green Island. Her story is well worth reading.

Guy

6 Likes

For those going, try and get a tour ,or at least bring.your headlights at night. there are some cool things to see there. The stick insects alone are special enough to warrant a trip there :slight_smile: squid, deer etc. plus the usual, jail, snorkeling, hotspring etc must do.

I like green island a lot. but I am not there to eat either haha.

1 Like

I thought maybe I should visit the green island prison or some other attractions there.

How do I get to green island? Where would I go to take the boat, keelung?

What budget should I expect?

Check this link

3 Likes

Keelung? Sweet Jesus.

3 Likes

Link is blank

So not from Keelung then? Sorry I never gone to an outlying island before and I assumed Keelung because there’s a port there.

Taidong.

I heard people at the chingmei jail said the best time to visit green island is summer, why? I kinda want to wait until winter when ac is not needed.

During the summer, many more amenities (accommodation, food) are available on Green Island, as it fills with visitors.

Also during the summer, if you are visiting the prison (it’s totally worth a visit—every Taiwanese should see this), there is an annual art festival that shows how younger generations are responding to this difficult history. This year’s festival opens tomorrow and will be displayed until September 17:

As mentioned by @BiggusDickus , access to Green Island by ferry is from Fugang Harbor in Taitung City.

1 Like

At the risk of adding further complications, flying there is supposed to be exciting. Particularly so when windy.

By the way when I visited the chingmei detention center they mentioned the garrison command. I know someone who did his military service at the garrison command watching over military prisoners convicted of corruption and all that.

I have to wonder how much my dad know about the white terror but won’t talk about it. When I asked him about white terror he says that they were dealing with troublemakers. Considering that he was an officer at the time, and well connected politically he may have seen some shit. He only told me he had to precide over military executions and seems to have cried when talking about it.

1 Like

My mother in law also knew nothing about it. when we took her to the jail she said she thought this jail was for corrupt politicians. she refused to read the signs. Typical kmt :frowning: It did open my eyes a bit to the fact there are people here who actually dont know what happened and just swallowed the propaganda with glee. has made me worry a bit now as Itthought we were having conversations before but now it seems she has no.idea what we were talking about :woozy_face: I find it quite concerning. hopefully my wife’s mother is the tiniest of minorities… if your dad watch government murders, surely he knows. hopefully he doesnt agree with it.

Yea he really tight lipped about his military time, not sure why, maybe it’s all secret or classified and shit…

Maybe this is why my dad hates guns, he’s seen it used to murder people.

Or it was just incredibly horrible and depressed him to no end. That stuff was disgusting and sick. Amazed there isnt a jail for those committing such crimes against the people. a good reason not to be chinese anymore :slight_smile:

Green island is a cool place to see that. they dont really hide that much and.cover it up, which is great.

on the summer note, as well as being more lively people wise, it is also more lively fauna wise!

bring something for sea sick.ess if you are prone. those boats… :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m hoping for winter because I can’t stand the heat, and the jingmei prison isn’t that well equipped when it comes to ac.

Green Island during the summer takes the heat to the next level. Bring a big hat and drink plenty of water!

Guy

I will take the plane the next time. I’m sure that it’s a bit scary, but it would only be like, what, 15 minutes of scariness. The puking on the boat ride (especially going to Green Island) is something I would like to avoid. I didn’t puke, but it was a full 30 minutes of intense teeth and fist clenching to avoid grabbing one of the widely available puke bags.

1 Like

That deeply unpleasant experience does however help us to imagine what those hapless prisoners went through as they were shipped there . . .

Guy