Green Island questions,help please

Do any of you know if they arrange guided scuba tours on Green Island and/or Orchid Island?
-You know the tours where you don’t need a diver’s licence like PADI, to get down there. I had that in Kenting with some friends a couple of years ago, and it was fun.

Contact data for such guided tours?

Thanks!!

Can we fly from Tpe to Green/Orchid?

Bassman, hot pools and shopping do not go together. If you’re willing to do hot pools and scenery OR hot pools and great food, I have pix of Kuanzhuling, Wulai, Yangmingshan, Jinshan, Dongpu:
community.webshots.com/user/shimmertje and
public.fotki.com/Shimmertje/central_taiwan_03/

The only possibility is Chiben which I haven’t been to yet. It looks like there may be shopping there.

You can go shopping at Green Island, but from a female point of view there really isn’t much. All the shops sell the same thing.

It’s possible to fly from TPE to Taitung and then to Green Island. I did that the first trip there, but that was like 10 years back.

It’s also possible to do dive tours to Green Island, though I don’t think I’ll ever go. water-world.com.tw/WD/instructor.htm

On my second trip last year one of the diveshop proprietors said that it’s cheaper for people to fly to the Philippines on a dive trip than to fly to Green Island. There is now only 1 flight a day. Almost everyone takes the ferry but it can be a very wild ride if the weather’s acting up.

On my third trip to Green Island (July) the package included a free snorkel trip and everyone had to wear wetsuits. It was impossible to swim down to any degree, and extremely hot. I’d rather have done without. Saw a lot of coral but no jellyfish.

Description of trip 2 at:
worldisround.com/articles/18246/index.html

Pictures of trip 3 at:
public.fotki.com/Shimmertje/must … land_7-03/

Green Island diving more expensive than going to the Phillippines?

Not likely!

Look guys, if you want to dive Green Island on the cheap, it isn’t that hard to do…

First, there is bunk-dorm style accomadations for as little as 300NT per night! Second, don’t go with ANY tour group or dive shop! (Up north) They will charge you out the nose and you’ll only get a few dives in, mostly boat dives in sites easily accessible from shore. Get to Green Island on your own and make arrangments locally! 90% of the dive shops are within walking distance of either the airport or harbor, so do a little exploring!

There is one direct flight a week from Taipei to Green Island…If I remember correctly it’s on a Friday afternoon.

Conversely, flying From TPE-Taidong then onto Green Island is easy and convenient, but remember you lose a days diving by doing so (No flying for 24 hours after diving)…That’s why I always drive. The small island hopper flight is a non-pressurized one, which means you can hop the plane back to Taidong from Green Island in your wetsuit!

If you are prone to seasickness, don’t take the boat on a rough day…remember “The perfect storm?” If the waves don’t make you heave, the surrealistic sight of 100plus people puking in rythem will surely make you lose your lunch. On the other hand, a calm day, dolphins playing in the bow wake…

Lastly, don’t waste your money boat diving unless they are going somewhere special, like checking out the hammerheads, chicken reef or if you’re lucky, the pinnacle dive off-shore. 95% of all the dives on Green Island can be done from shore!

If you are willing to stay spartan, have your own gear and travel on your own…look to spend about 12,000NT for 5 full days diving. Can you do that in the Phillippines?

The Phillipines has some great diving, but you’re going to have to do a lot of local travel and spend odles of cash to get anywhere that rivals Green Island. Was down in Busuanga in 95 for 7 days of wreck diving. Cost? 38,000NT ! (Mind you, that was staying in a bungalow that cost 6 dollars a night)

Hi Michael,

Maybe the dive shop proprietor was trying to justify the number of clients he had?

I had the impression he meant that the cost of the flight to Green Island was actually higher than the cost of the flight to the Philippines, presumably to dive sites in the Philippines, and not that the total cost of the trip would be lower in the Philippines compared to Green Island.

Not having been on a dive trip to the Philippines, nor booked a flight there, I really wouldn’t know.

A few years back I was told that the Westin group was planning to build a resort hotel on Green Island.

Anyone heard of these plans too and if, how far is the planning?

Be sure, if you go with a dive store’s organized diving trips expect to pay big $$$$.

Some charge you as much as 16,000 NT$ for a weekend :shock: , starting from Taipei on Friday night (by night train to Taidong) or Saturday morning until Monday morning (air plain) return to Taipei. All included.

The reason…, for every 4 divers … 1 instructor goes for free. Someone has to pay for it.

Oyeah, you also had a scooter available for Sunday afternoon.

And for some reason I never made it to Green Island, actually I never found 4 people that could join me :cry: .

But actually, for this amount I could go almost one week to Puerto Galera (Philippines), all included. Well…not all, not the special services :smiley: :smiling_imp: .
Flights to Manila used to be cheap and the bus to Batangas costs only a couple of hundred pesos, local line buses were only 70-100 pesos. Boat to Puerto was also cheap. Anyway, you could leave in the morning from Taipei and arrive in Puerto late afternoon.

Bottleneck,

A Westin would totally change the feel of Green Island. I hope it doesn’t happen! I’d prefer to stay in a more local hotel if I visited again.

I don’t know about Westin’s plans, but I can tell you that the youth hostel right across from the entrance to the hot spring is still closed. It was open the 1st time I went about 10 years back, and we stayed there - it was really convenient just to pop over and soak at night, although there weren’t any lights so we had to carry torches. It was closed when I went last year.

If the Westin plans on building anything, the site of the hostel would be ideal. No construction was going on, though.

Green Island of old…Ahh

Yep, A Westin would kill the place. It’s already over the top on holidays as it is…The only escape from the crowds is with a scuba tank on your back.

Yeah, we used to stay at the hostel as well. It’s such a prime location with a yet undecided future. Could you imagine that primo campground across the road from a 5-star hotel? Shudder…

Some other things back in the days were not so convenient though. Boat diving was illegal so you had to load your gear in the harbor, get back on the truck, drive down to the beach, don your wetsuit, fins and snorkel and make about a 200 yard swim out to the boat!

The hot spring back then was truly choice though…No buildings, no concrete, nothing to advertise their presence and best of all NO PEOPLE

very interesting Ancient history of The Island on this website:http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/griggs/minami

Also alot of links to other related information of The Island:www.angelfire.com/cantina/griggs

Just back from a four-day 12/25-12/28 stay on Green Island.

Updates:

The hot spring and sauna are both closed for repairs. How long? Not certain. You might want to call and ask if you will be traveling there soon.

The campground is also undergoing serious renovation. There is no water, electricity, management, or visitors. Camping is still allowed (no one asked us to leave) but be prepared to bring everything you need (water, lights, etc.) from town.

The skin diving was great, even in winter. The water is a balmy 22 degrees year round, according to one dive shop owner, due to the oceanic current that passes the island. Surprisingly, the air temperature was colder than Taipei–in the high teens and low twenties–with a fierce wind that made the warm water even more attractive. The sea on the northern and eastern coasts was rough, but the water on the southern and eastern shores was calm enough to make getting in and out of the water no problem.

We dove off of Big White Beach, and the nearby bridge, as well as (spelling?) Shihji, which is just south of the harbor. All locations had lots of reef fish, very few divers, and beautiful coral. The mushroom coral mentioned in an above post was amazing, and obviously damaged by something (the submarine?)

Hotels were empty and offering low prices, most restaurants and nearly all shops were closed, and the views were extraordinary.

Winter in Green Island–a great escape.

is march a good time to go there?
because some friends plan to do so and i’ll join :slight_smile:

Now I’m in Taiwan for an internship. In july my girl will come over for a visit. Is Green island a good suggestion in July? We both cannot speak Mandarin or Taiwanese. We have no diving experience.

But maybe snorkeling is a good idea? The campingground sounds good!

Oh, do we have to reserve a place on the boat and campingground now already?

[quote=“Hendrik”]Now I’m in Taiwan for an internship. In July my girl will come over for a visit. Is Green island a good suggestion in July? We both cannot speak Mandarin or Taiwanese. We have no diving experience.

But maybe snorkeling is a good idea? The campingground sounds good!

Oh, do we have to reserve a place on the boat and campingground now already?[/quote]

You’ll get roasted in July. Still the cool sea breezes help. But aslo expect the the round-the-island coastal road to be bumper to bumper with Taiwanese daytrippers.

Snorkelling’s good.

My boss decided to be a nice guy and gave me Monday off.Tuesday is a holiday,so I have 4 days to do some traveling.I need info about Green Island.I live in Taoyuan city and is thinking of taking the train to Taidong.Jump on a ferry and go to Green Island.I dont have alot of money,so I want to stay in a campsite.So heres some questions.

1.How much is the train ticket.
2. How much is the ticket for the ferry.
3. Whats the traveltime from Taoyuan to Taidong and from Taidong to Green Island.
4.Can I rent a tent or must I take my own.
5.Are 4 days to long on Green Island.If yes,where can I go thats not expensive,but nice.
6.Where can I rent a scooter and how much will it cost.

Thanks for your help.
Rassie

rassie…

Been a lot of info on Green Island here, but since you are a fellow Taoyuan denizen I’ll give what I can…

1. Train ticket…Sorry don’t ride trains, but will take between 5-7hours. Prepare for it to be packed.

2. About 750NT or so return

3. By car…6 hours. By motorcycle…7 hours. By train…5-7 hours. Taidong/Green Island by ferry will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour 20 depending on sea conditions

4. No camping gear for rent…Take your own. (well worth it, it’s a sweet campground!)

5. Hell no, you won’t want to leave…Especially if you are into snorkeling/Scuba diving. Some great hikes too.

6. Right at the Harbor…350-450NT per day depending on season.

7. If it’s rough on the boat ride over, stay away from all the other passengers, even if you have to hide in the head! They’ll be puking all the way across!

I envy you…Have a great trip!

Also,

You have to figure out how to get from the Taidong train station to the harbor (Fukang) which is a few kilometers north of the city.

Have fun!

We took the overnight train. Leaves about 23:30. Gets to Taidong at about 7 or so, then a taxi (NT$150) to the harbor. Get your ticket for the ferry which leaves about 8 or 8:30. Rent a scooter (NT$400 a day) as the campsite is a few clicks (to the right) from the harbor on Green Island.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the info.Ill be on the 23.30 train tomorrow night.Two more questions.Are there more than one campsite.Which one is the best and what time do the ferries start coming back to Taiwan from Green Island.
Thanks alot.

The ferries should be running throughout the day for the weekend and the holiday…But double-check once you get to the harbor to confirm the return schedule.

As to the campsite, I believe it was recently rennovated so should be better than before. Even on holidays it’s not that crowded so you’ll have a good choice of settings to chose from…I like to be back from the road a bit, but it’s up to you.

It’s about a 4.5Km scooter ride from the harbor to your right…Only one road so you can’t really get lost. You’ll pass through a few tunnels and the last one opens up into a small cove beach. Past that, the campground is on your right. The nice thing about the campground is that you have access to both the hot springs and the beach with just a short walk in either direction…Nice :slight_smile:

Have fun.