Grief-no we are not moving the living room down stairs

So I’m dealing with a new issue that has been burning for awhile. My FiL and MiL want us to move the living room from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor. I honestly don’t because I’d really like to have some privacy and get stared at enough as it is. Wifey who takes most of the heat over this situation would like it on the 1st floor, but is getting a firm no from me. Of course, I have to keep saying no even after I explain it again and again. :unamused:

How do I solve this problem without it leading to a divorce and/or killing her mother? :ponder:

[quote=“Okami”]So I’m dealing with a new issue that has been burning for awhile. My FiL and MiL want us to move the living room from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor. I honestly don’t because I’d really like to have some privacy and get stared at enough as it is. Wifey who takes most of the heat over this situation would like it on the 1st floor, but is getting a firm no from me. Of course, I have to keep saying no even after I explain it again and again. :unamused:

How do I solve this problem without it leading to a divorce and/or killing her mother? :ponder:[/quote]

Why do they want it on the first floor? I could imagine it being because they don’t like having to walk up stairs at their age just to sit with their families, right?

If they live on the first floor and you live on the second, shouldn’t you have two living rooms? One on each floor?

park your car there, or rent it as storage space for temple carts.

Sounds simple, who owns the house / pays the rent? If the answer is ‘not you’ then you’ve got yourself a personal detriment vs expended political capital to stand firm equation. If the answer is ‘not the in-laws’ then why should you pay any heed whatsoever to their leanings in interior design / layout? :idunno:

Move it to the 1st floor and insist everyone must sit around in there underwear. No exceptions.
Or be the Alpha male. No means no.

Put on your pants and foot down. Nuff said. Man up!

How about a white lie saying you need that space for a future office/classroom/home business? they will like the prospect of future $$$. How long in the future depends on you.

Hey, you can sit there in your LR with the roll shutter open and have a view on the street … everybody does that, it’s like living on the street almost … :smiley: true Taiwanese, you’re almost there!

That’s what people do … live in their store … they just go up to the bedroom to sleep …

Pull some pics of first floor livng rooms after a typhoon. Good enough reason to stay on 2d floor.

My solution would be to move out!!!

Divorce! :whistle:

[quote=“Okami”]So I’m dealing with a new issue that has been burning for awhile. My FiL and MiL want us to move the living room from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor. I honestly don’t because I’d really like to have some privacy and get stared at enough as it is. Wifey who takes most of the heat over this situation would like it on the 1st floor, but is getting a firm no from me. Of course, I have to keep saying no even after I explain it again and again. :unamused:

How do I solve this problem without it leading to a divorce and/or killing her mother? :ponder:[/quote]

1. Who owns the house?
  2. If you don’t own the house, who brings home the money to pay the mortgage?
  3. If you rent, who pays the rent?

If the answer to the above three questions is you, then you can tell them you will be fine for them to move the living room if they decide to take over the payments. Or if they start paying you rent.

1. If you want to be a little less of confrontational, you can move the living room to the first floor and have the second floor all to yourself as your own personal space. You could buy yourself some of your favorite furniture or even a pool table and some darts and a mini beverage bar and a small fridge to chill your drinks. Plus this way you don’t have to hang out with your in-laws. And you can buy yourself a 70-inch LED SmartTV and make it your very own private theater. And don’t forget the leather La-z-Boy recliner and the 7.1 surround sound THX certified home theater system. Yup that should do it. :slight_smile:

and charge an entry fee.

I am guestimating that the only reason why you are living with the inlaws is for financial reasons. They own the house, you don’t pay for shit. So, they want the living room on the first floor, fine, let them have it. They stay down there, watch TV all hours of the day and night, you guys stay up on the second floor, do what you want. Don’t most Taiwanese families living with the inlaws already split the living arrangements already??You say hi to them when you come in, and go up to your pad, suck it up, you will barely see them.
THE TV WILL DRAW THEM IN. It always does.

In laws don’t live with us nor come over at all. Which I’m very grateful for. :pray:

It’s their place, was rotting down, they fixed it up and we moved down here and pay no rent which allows my wife to be a stay-at-home mom. I talked with the wife today and got an answer I should of expected when i tried to bend a little. I said we can out the living room downstairs, but I want curtains. She said they are hard to wash and no one will look in anyway.

So as it stands, this is going to be escalated. :cry:

[quote=“Okami”]In laws don’t live with us nor come over at all. Which I’m very grateful for. :pray:

It’s their place, was rotting down, they fixed it up and we moved down here and pay no rent which allows my wife to be a stay-at-home mom. I talked with the wife today and got an answer I should of expected when i tried to bend a little. I said we can out the living room downstairs, but I want curtains. She said they are hard to wash and no one will look in anyway.

So as it stands, this is going to be escalated. :cry:[/quote]

So they don’t live with you but want to dictate your living arrangements?

You said you’re getting stared at…do you mean through your own window? And your wife won’t get curtains because they are hard to wash? Tell her to grow up and send them to a dry cleaner like everyone else does!!! She sounds pretty unreasonable, no offense.

+1 on the sounding unreasonable, it’s not like you need to wash the curtains daily. I’m guessing it’s one of those glass sliding doors directly onto the street affairs, if it is I would totally see your logic in not wanting to move the living area down there. Why exactly do the inlaws feel they have a vote in where you have your living room, and more to the point what “argument” do they and your missus put forward for the move, there must be something to it in their estimation?

It’s because anyone can just walk in … no waiting, no need for invitation … :smiley:

[quote=“Okami”]In laws don’t live with us nor come over at all. Which I’m very grateful for. :pray:
It’s their place, was rotting down, they fixed it up and we moved down here and pay no rent which allows my wife to be a stay-at-home mom. I talked with the wife today and got an answer I should of expected when i tried to bend a little. I said we can out the living room downstairs, but I want curtains. She said they are hard to wash and no one will look in anyway. So as it stands, this is going to be escalated. :cry:[/quote]OKI -
Here this is for your testicles…