Grizzly Man

Interesting movie. I just watched it last week at my parents’ house. It’s a documentary by Werner Herzog on Timothy Treadwell, a young guy who fell so in love with Grizzly Bears that he lived among them for 10 years in Alaska, talking to them, swimming with them, petting them on the nose, and otherwise treating them as his buddies, until one of them finally tore him (and his girlfriend who was terrified of them) to pieces.

My parents were a little disappointed with the movie, because it is mostly footage of Treadwell and he’s sort of a phoney, big-mouthed, southern california, failed hollywood type and they felt he was shamelessly overhyping himself, or something like that. But that didn’t bother me at all. I saw it as an interesting character study of a real-life guy who gradually falls completely out of touch with reality. Obviously he totally lost it. Grizzlies are massive, powerful, wild beasts and if they feel like killing you there’s not a damn thing you can do to stop them, particularly if you approach to just a few feet away with nothing to protect you but a camera. While his phoney hollywood acting may be a little annoying, it’s not completely an act; it’s part of who he was and is therefore as real as anything else in the movie.

Of course the Grizzly footage is fantastic. Beautiful beasts filmed up close like no one else has ever filmed them before. And the foxes are awesome too. Several wild foxes befriend Treadwell, run around him like pet dogs, and sit still and allow him to pet them. That was great.

But the movie is more about Treadwell, this crazy guy who practically believes he too is a Grizzly, than it is about the animals. And I found him to be very interesting. He must have said at least 2 dozen times in the footage they showed, “I would die for these bears, I would die for them, I would die for them.” I liked the line by the one guy who said, “I believe he only got away with it for so long without getting eaten, because the bears felt there must be something wrong with him, he must be mentally retarded or something, so they let him be.”

Other interesting issues:

Did Herzog wrongly take advantage of the solemn, actual moment of Treadwell being torn to shreds for crass commercial purposes? Treadwell had the cap on his video camera at the time so there’s no footage, but the camera did capture the screams of both Treadwell then his girl getting eaten. Herzog doesn’t play the tape in the movie, but he describes it a few times and he shows himself listening to it and then going, “yuck, turn it off,” or words to that effect. I don’t think it was too tacky what he did; after all, he needed to make clear Treadwell’s horrible fate.

Did Treadwell do more harm or good for the Grizzlies he was trying to help? He gave lots of talks and spread the word about these beautiful creatures, but one guy felt he did harm by getting them accustomed to getting too close to humans. I feel he did more good than harm, but I definitely feel he was crazy.

Anyone else see the movie?

Well, jane Goodall did the apes good by living with them. but she is a scientist.

Was this guy interested in sharing his experience and learning or just “living with the bears?”

BTW, being eaten by a bear is probably in the top five ways I do NOT want to leave this lifetime.

Few people, if any, have ever been eaten by chimps. Grizzlies are massive and one cannot outrun, outclimb, outswim or outfight a Grizzly. This guy would camp out among them and walk right up to them and pet them like an old dog.

He spoke to classes of kids and other groups and put together films to try to educate people about how beautiful they are and how they should be protected. But it was more than that. He was totally in love with them and really lost touch of the fact that he was human and they are wild beasts; he really believed he was one of them.

Agreed. Even just the description of what the tape sounded like was horrible.

[quote]Few people, if any, have ever been eaten by chimps. Grizzlies are massive and one cannot outrun, outclimb, outswim or outfight a Grizzly. This guy would camp out among them and walk right up to them and pet them like an old dog.
[/quote]

Well, I mentioned her as she did the animals a lot of good.

I think this guy would have a negligible impact on people’s opinions of grizzlies. Most of us I hope know better than to appraoch ANY kind of bear, much less a 12 foot grizzly. The guy being killed doesn’t change my mind about them. They are dangerous fargin animals. But I also don’t hate them for killing this guy.

Ever see the Russian guy who “lives” with wolves? Yet another crazy fucker. He’ll bite them when they jump on him to remind them that he’s alpha mal! WTF!

Here’s a few clips from the movie.

Grizzlies are very beautiful animals…they are also large carnivores.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but walking up to a large carnivore in the wild and petting it doesn’t seem very smart.

Kinda like that guy who went swimming cageless with the Great Whites.

This is why God invented common sense…so we wouldn’t do dumbass stuff like that.

[quote]http://"Quincy, do you remember when you stood over me? You were so hungry, and you should have eaten me, but you didn’t. Thanks for not eating me, Quincy," Dmytryk recalled him saying to the bear in the clip. “If Quincy had eaten me, good, 'cause he’s a nice bear.” [/quote] :unamused:

Two all. Bummer.

[quote]It is also possible that he inadvertently endangered the very animals he loved by habituating them to people, thus increasing the likelihood of dangerous encounters in the future. quote]

Sounds like an eejit. Pity no one recalls the girlfriend, apparently she was scared of the bears.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

Sounds like an eejit. Pity no one recalls the girlfriend, apparently she was scared of the bears.

HG[/quote]

Agreed. I have little sympathy for him, but am very sorry about what happened to his girlfriend.

He was a dumb, self-obsessed, grandstanding prick. End of story. I feel sorry for the girlfriend too, but she couldn’t have been the sharpest knife in the drawer either, I’m thinking. I read about him shortly after it happened and heard the killing tapes on Outside Online and I seem to recall that the Rangers were very, very much more than simply “concerned” about the bears. They were actually fucking livid with the schmuck and tried several times to have him arrested, etc., because they KNEW what the eventual and inevitable outcome was going to be and absolutely wanted no part in killing grizzlies that were just doing their grizzly things. Fucking halfwit Treadwell, of course, knew better and so he ended up killing those bears just as surely as if he had shot them himself.
What a fucking showboating loser. He’s probably better off dead. The remaining grizzlies are for sure better off that he’s dead. :fume:

[quote=“sandman”]He was a dumb, self-obsessed, grandstanding prick. End of story. I feel sorry for the girlfriend too, but she couldn’t have been the sharpest knife in the drawer either, I’m thinking. I read about him shortly after it happened and heard the killing tapes on Outside Online and I seem to recall that the Rangers were very, very much more than simply “concerned” about the bears. They were actually fucking livid with the schmuck and tried several times to have him arrested, etc., because they KNEW what the eventual and inevitable outcome was going to be and absolutely wanted no part in killing grizzlies that were just doing their grizzly things. Fucking halfwit Treadwell, of course, knew better and so he ended up killing those bears just as surely as if he had shot them himself.
What a fucking showboating loser. He’s probably better off dead. The remaining grizzlies are for sure better off that he’s dead. :fume:[/quote]

That’s one way of looking at it. But I don’t see it that way. I feel he was seriously mentally ill. After splitting with his family and failing in hollywood he moved to the wilds of Alaska, grew more and more in love with the animals and disgusted with humans, became so deluded that he anthropomorthized and eventually came to believe that he and the Grizzlies were pals, could communicate and had a special bond. In short, he lost touch with reality. He was living in a fantasy world. It’s not that he was showing off; he was literally crazy.

Is it right to hate mentally ill people who do crazy stuff? Usually not. Usually one sighs and acknowledges that they can’t help whatever crazy acts they do, because they are nuts. Why should it be different in this case?

Maybe that close call with death via opiates had something to do with it.

In that case he should have been sectioned for his own safety. That way, there would still be two not-dead innocent bears around.
Of course I don’t hate him for being nuts. I sure do hate what he did though, and the fact that he was allowed to do it. In fact come to think of it, are you so sure he was really crazy? Surely if he was, then the authorities would have had an excuse to get him away and allow the bears to live in safety?

I think this guy, Treadwell, was one of the top finalists in that years Darwin Awrds.

I’m waiting for that Australian Crockadile guy to get his head bit off.

Seems crazy to me. Everyone knows Grizzlies are massive, deadly, wild beasts and if you play with them enough they will kill you.

If a guy regularly walks through heavy traffic blindfolded, or plays russian roullette with a loaded gun, or something equally deadly for 10 years, most people would feel he is mentally ill, wouldn’t they? If he’s not suicidal, then at least he’s ignoring (or oblivious to) a completely obvious and extremely high risk of death – which seems like a sign of mental illness to me.

Maybe the authorities could have gotten a legal right to lock him up and force medication on him. I don’t know. That would have been a very interesting legal case, but I’m guessing they couldn’t have had him committed, because it usually takes a lot to overcome a person’s rights in that way.

Yeah, that guy deserves to be eaten. Putting your head is a large carnivore’s mouth is even worse than going up and just petting one.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”] Everyone knows Grizzlies are massive, deadly, wild beasts and if you play with them enough they will kill you.
[/quote]

No, unfortunately most people don’t. I spent three summers up in the Yukon and repeatedly had to warn people not to walk to the local dump looking for bears, not to get out of the bus or car when they saw a bear on the side of the road, and so on. I remember one bus ride down to Whitehouse when we saw a bear. The old tourists wanted to take pictures. They got out and the bear went up a bluff. A few keen folks were intent on heading up the road and cutting him off as he came out of the trees. Fortunately, the road went uphill and they were lazy bastards.

One bus driver I knew refused to let people leave the bus when they saw a bear. If people put up a fight he told them flatly that “Grizzly bears like to eat their prey alive. If they catch you they will knock you to the ground, put a paw on the back of your neck, and start to feed.” Not many people wanted to step off the bus after that. :slight_smile:

Having only ever seen them in zoos I’m afraid I’d probably be guilty of running up to a bear screeching hao ke ai if it wasn;t for the steely insistence of North American friends that this would be very unwise. :blush:

Yes! Steve Irwin’s head in a croc tummy . . but I have the feeling he might actually do some good . . . for something?? :s

HG

Is the resemblence a coincidence?

break.com/superbowl/budlight1.html

Too bad Treadwell didn’t know kung-fu.

download.pocketmovies.net/movies … 04x240.mpg