Grizzly Man

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]Too bad Treadwell didn’t know kung-fu.

download.pocketmovies.net/movies … 04x240.mpg[/quote]

HOly fucking hsit comrade

That is without doubt the funniest thing I have ever seen!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

classic post candidate

John West salmon ad? I caught a salmon from that very spot long long ago. It’s on the river Dee, not too far from Balmoral.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]Too bad Treadwell didn’t know kung-fu.

classic post candidate[/quote]

Uh, all I get is two seconds of video of a bear crossing a stream.

If Herzog’s movie is half as interesting as an interview he did with Terry Gross on NPR, then I gotta see that movie.

One thing about Treadwell that I haven’t seen discussed here is that, according to Herzog, Treadwell was a very ill alcoholic and was rarely sober.

Side note, I know of at least two men who survived grizzly attacks. One guy curled up into a fetal position, played dead and basically - noiselessly - sacrificed his scalp and his shoulder in order to live.

Second guy killed the grizzly by stabbing it repeatedly with a broadblade hunting arrow. No shit.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]Too bad Treadwell didn’t know kung-fu.

classic post candidate[/quote]

Uh, all I get is two seconds of video of a bear crossing a stream.[/quote]

Try again. It’s worth the effort.

Got it.

Was that a question? Yes, I got it. Pretty darn funny.

Tim was a handsome young lad and athletic too so nobody was suprised when he won an athletic scholarship. That fell through when he hurt his back so Tim tried his hand at acting and was even considered for the bartender role in “Cheers” and only lost out to Woody Harrelson because Woody had a larger penis. Tim then found his way to drugs and alcohol and eventually to Alaska where he found salvation, companionship and a purpose in life in freaking Grizzly freaking bears whom he had the major freaking cahoones to live with for twelve freaking summers. He filmed this adventure and then wim wembers or some fancy European film maker or other found the footage and fashioned it into quite a stunning document actually. The ending, which comes at the beginning, is not nearly so silly in tone nor in substance as this post but rather “serious” as Tim would put it.

In any event “Grizzlyman” certainly comes with the little b bob seal of approval. Available at blockbuster now.

dood, there’s a whole thread on grizzlyman. Do a search.

Great documentary, but that guy was a suicidal loon IMO.

Wiwy?

Actually you were right. I should have just tagged this on to the old thread. The “news” is that people who haven’t seen it and want to can now if they want. It’s at blockbuster now.

Good call, bob. I have wanted to see this film for a while.

I agree the guy was a loon. I’ve been up to Alaska and seen grizzlies pretty close up (had a sow charge my truck once) and there is no way anyone with a lick of sense would have done the things he did. Not even Matthew Lien on his most one-with-the-wilderness day.

Not a lick. That guy was completely bonkers. I have been close enough to a grizzly to touch the evil bastard. Most horrifying thing I have ever seen.

Great film though. The guy who spliced it together did a wonderful job of what is essentially an outrageously beautifully filmed chronicle of a decent into maddness.

Awesome stuff.

Now that I’ve seen the film, I haven’t changed my mind a jot since the last thread about him in February.
Other than that, I second little b’s opinion. It was some wonderful filmmaking and even more wonderful editing.
And making friends with those foxes? Goddamn!

I watched this last week. The guy is a complete idiot. Must have been on drugs the whole time. What a looser.

Tim was a seriously ill individual, narcissistic, hostile, paranoid, suicidal, perhaps homicidal. He was deeply insecure and shamed to the core and it was this shame that drove him to create out of himself a gentle superman persona. I wouldn’t be suprised if he was in fact out there torturing baby foxes when the camera wasn’t running. He did however manage to survive twelve summers in grizzly territory, and he did capture it on film and for that he avoids the “loser” label IMHO. He also proved that given a preference, grizzlies would generally rather eat salmon, berries and grass than a human being, probably because humans just don’t smell like anything they have eaten before. His insanity led him to try and prove it was reasonably safe for human beings to approach bears. He was wrong and he proved it. Somewhere in the depths of his tormemted soul I suspect that was exactly what he was after.

Seems crazy to me. Everyone knows Grizzlies are massive, deadly, wild beasts and if you play with them enough they will kill you.

[/quote]
People don’t know. I am always horrified when I see the Asian tourists in Banff and Jasper going to fucking close to bears - because they’re sooooo cute.

“Going at it close to bears” or “going to it close to bears” – the second one is less frequently seen. Either way, neither one needs the additional “fucking.”

“Going at it close to bears” or “going to it close to bears” – the second one is less frequently seen. Either way, neither one needs the additional “fucking.”[/quote]
“going too close to bears”
Sorry.

“Going at it close to bears” or “going to it close to bears” – the second one is less frequently seen. Either way, neither one needs the additional “fucking.”[/quote]

I’ve had that problem too. Indeed while camping sometimes the line of women awaiting the satisfatction only I can provide becomes such that it is neccessary to delay gratification for weeks at a time. The bears are alright with it till the cheering starts and buckets of pent up love start flowing, but then they can get a little aggressive, like monkees actually, but larger and more frightening in aspect. It’s a hell of a scene as I imagine you can imagine.

I can imagine. You sure wouldn’t want one of THOSE babies cupping your nutsack, specially if you were on the job at the time.