Guanciale

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but is such a thing obtainable anywhere from Taipei?

Also looking for real dairy half-and-half … for the last two years.

I’ve launched myself in the epic quest for Guanciale in Taipei last year, with no success. ; (

Please let me know if you find this fabled item.

The absolute cheek of that poster!

[quote=“Novaspes”]I’ve launched myself in the epic quest for Guanciale in Taipei last year, with no success. ; (

Please let me know if you find this fabled item.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I figured. Well, I’m happy someone knows what I’m talking about and has tried to look for it. I probably won’t launch into any kind of epic quest myself though. Sounds exhausting.

Foolish idealism, please.

The `1/2 and 1/2 is no problem. Just go to any supermarket and buy the whole whipping cream (without sugar - be careful) and mix it to proportions you desire. I just use Baileys and Kalula 1/2 and 1/2 with my coffee and 7-11 in next door. No sweat and no problem. They also know me so well that delivery with a 50 NT tip is expedient and coffee is still dripping.

On a side note, and pardon my obvious ignorance and being uncouth, what the hell is “Guanciale”? I know I am befuddled. By rank and call: Guanciale, caller ID, turkey hot dogs, call waiting, taxi delivery service, 2 tele lines, fax with memory and extra storage trays that hold 4 reams of paper, email and with group capability, Androids invading the earth, LINE, and now some new kind of techno coffee (sorry, mentioned earlier)? I want my old black plastic dial telephone back )(dink, dink, dink, dink Well there’s a 3) with a roll of stamps. I want my own food back like the 4-10 dive in, Dick’s in Seattle, etc., along with my freedom to complain about the government without them eavesdropping which is undoubtably happening as I post this. Ya know, I never did listen at my parent’s or roommates door because what they were doing was none of my damned business. F. all this government intrusion on my emails and posts. HEY! gov’t; ya listening? Get off your ass and your computer and and win the war without trodding on my privacy
OK. Rant over and sorry about getting so off topic. News today just has my blood a little warm. Sorry. I still want my black tele back!
EDIT: Sorry. WAY! off topic and I have asked mods to temp it or delete it. I am just to hot over today’s news and shouldn’t have gone so off track. Again, my apologies for the post.

[quote=“2Enigma”]
On a side note, and pardon my obvious ignorance and being uncouth, what the hell is “Guanciale”? [/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanciale

There is a traditional market in Taipei on Roosevelt Road near ChianKai Shek Memorial MRT station.
They have some stands that sell their self produced salty bacon.
They call it in Chinese Spanish style.
That’s about what comes closest to it I have seen so far.
I made some spaghetti Carbonara with it already.
You could eventually ask them to follow the original recipe.

[quote=“2Enigma”]
EDIT: Sorry. WAY! off topic and I have asked mods to temp it or delete it. I am just to hot over today’s news and shouldn’t have gone so off track. Again, my apologies for the post.[/quote]

What news?

[quote=“2Enigma”]The `1/2 and 1/2 is no problem. Just go to any supermarket and buy the whole whipping cream (without sugar - be careful) and mix it to proportions you desire.

EDIT: Sorry. WAY! off topic and I have asked mods to temp it or delete it. I am just to hot over today’s news and shouldn’t have gone so off track. Again, my apologies for the post.[/quote]

Actually the other day I found that some of the coffee creamer packets sold at Dinghao (頂好) markets are actual dairy. Haven’t tried them yet though.

I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about staying on topic in these Internet forums. That’s not how human conversations work. You go from what one person think is important to what’s actually more important, and from there to somewhere else. If the conversation has strayed from the original topic there probably wasn’t much to be said on it to begin with. So, no worries, really.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]There is a traditional market in Taipei on Roosevelt Road near ChianKai Shek Memorial MRT station.
They have some stands that sell their self produced salty bacon.
They call it in Chinese Spanish style.
That’s about what comes closest to it I have seen so far.
I made some spaghetti Carbonara with it already.
You could eventually ask them to follow the original recipe.[/quote]

Thanks! I will check it out.

It’s probably all about SEO.
If your threads go off topic, visitors coming through search engines will bounce back cause they did not find the answer they were looking for.

I have found a shop that sells it here’s the link they were the nicest please go support them[Link] (http://www.meatstore.com.tw/index.php?id_lang=1) the address is at the bottom of the site.

Checked “gusto market of taste”?