GuangHua ... charges +$$ for using a credit card?

That’s wild: PCHome is same price and free next-day shipping (although they are about +25% marked up compared to Amazon … which now offers FREE international shipping to TW if you spend $65 total in your cart btw). If I’m shopping for parts, should I just BROWSE at GuangHua, then BUY on pchome || Amazon? O_O

It was substantial too, like +5%. $2000 PC would be +$100 just to use a card; enough fee to double up m.2 drive space.

Is there a trick to get the fee waived? Potentially spending a lot didn’t do the trick. It’s not like I have that kind of cash in my pocket (ATM would surely reject; and even though Taiwan feels safe, I still wouldn’t want to flash a big wad of cash in public).

That’s because most these businesses are compulsive tax evaders. They charge massive amount for credit card because it has to go on a fapiao which means it’s taxed. They have the same surcharge for requiring fapiao for tax writeoffs and stuff.

But I know for a fact they make a “profit” of about 50nt on any core PC components, that means GPU, CPU, Hard drive, motherboard, and RAM. I don’t know how true their reporting is but guys make so little profit on them that they’re practically a loss leader to get you to buy peripherals, which have much higher profit margins (as high as 600%).

1 Like

Unless you need something urgently and can’t wait, give any and all computers in Taiwan a hard pass.

As you said, Amazon offers free shipping and great prices, especially around holidays. PCs from the US tend to have much better specs too.

Just buy from Amazon and wait a week for free delivery. Well worth it.

Only catch is warranty.

2 Likes

Can’t you get caught out on customs duties etc. for expensive items like a desktop computer, or is Amazon quite good at calculating those in advance these days?

If anything they tend to overestimate it and will issue you a refund later.

1 Like

And it’s still competitive, even with those fees?

My last laptop bought from Amazon was $19.20 shipping and $33.80 duties and taxes, in USD for a 700 odd dollar laptop. The same spec on PChome was hundreds USD more, it was well worth importing. Not sure what duties apply to desktops though.

1 Like

Absolutely. Taiwan gimps you on ram and hard drives in both laptops and desktops from what I’ve seen, yet still charges way more than Amazon even with the nerfs.

1 Like

A 3080 costs like 1600 dollars or more on Amazon.

Heck even a 1050ti is costing more than 300 US on amazon.

Not sure how much you are saving at all.

I do not get it? Just pay cash?

In my experience, the bigger stores all give fapiao now, but they still charge the credit card surcharge.

Yea I have no idea. The big chains (like the 3C place) will not charge you fees for using credit card. But I guess the smaller stores make so little profit that they have to charge for credit card…

There’s no import taxes on laptops, just the brokerage fee to the courier for processing the import.

It’s the 5% VAT. Cash no tax, CC tax. Has been forever, like 20 years.

Do you need prime to get free Amazon shipping to Taiwan?

That depends. Sometimes it’s only Amazon stored and sold items. Third party stores are more difficult or don’t ship at all.

Then you lose on points or cash back, harder to track business expenses, lose the easy accounting (QBO), lose on warranties/protections backed by credit card, then you don’t have to carry and whip out 70k ntd cash for a fully new PC.

Even then, would your bank let you withdraw 70k from 1 atm at once? Doubtful. At 20k limit, you’ll also awkwardly and time consuming be withdrawing 4 sessions worth. You’ll likely have to tell your bank your card isn’t stolen if they block your debit card.

All kinds of reasons.

I’m not saying this exactly applies to this situation but

I recently used a credit card in Taipei electronics market area. It’s a US based card. On checkout the card machine gave an option to select local currency or US dollars. I think if you do not select local currency then there is a fee like this note at the bottom about a 4% currency conversion fee.

If given a choice, always use international credit card in local currency and let your bank manage the exchange rate.

Damn, who gives you 26.4550 NT$ to 1 US$?