Guantanamo film re-opens debate

This controversial docudrama shown at the Berlin festival and which won the Silver Bear for best director, is going to be aired on Channel 4 in March. Available in DVD and on line as not many distributors will want to distribute it in the US.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4715474.stm

Director of the fim openly says, he hopes the film will help to shut down Guantanamo Bay.

Wondering how will the arab world react to this docu drama after the cartoon etc

You should start another thread on this if you wish…
It is completely off topic.
Anyway, to reply to your question : no I won t attend the demonstration today.
And for your information I didn t attend Iraq anti war demonstration either. But I have my opinion on both subjects.

I hope everybody held at Gitmo is in horrible pain right now.

I hope you had a good time today at your little get-together, and warm fuzzy feelings and self-congratulatory pats on the back were had by all. Even though it will have no effect whatsoever on the current situation. :wink:

[quote=“trebuchet”]I hope everybody held at Gitmo is in horrible pain right now.

I hope you had a good time today at your little get-together, and warm fuzzy feelings and self-congratulatory pats on the back were had by all. Even though it will have no effect whatsoever on the current situation. :wink:[/quote]

[quote]The Seton Hall study found that 55 percent of the detainees are not suspected of having committed any hostile acts against the United States and that 40 percent of the detainees are not affiliated with al-Qaida. Eight percent are listed as having fought for a terrorist group, and 60 percent are merely accused of being “associated with” terrorists

There’s a hell of a lot of brown-skinned muslims in the United States. If people are put in Gimto for no reason, why aren’t they ALL there? If it is a goal of the U.S. to put all brown-skinned Muslims in camps/prisons/etc., why hasn’t it been done? It’s not like the US doesn’t have the resources to do so, if desired.

The reasons these people are in Gitmos is a little bit more than because of their religion and the color of their skin, dontcha think? I don’t think Bush is God, but cmon, he hasn’t gone THAT far.

But seriously, I really don’t care. I just don’t. If these good representatives of the religion of peace and tolerance had done something to separate themselves from suiciced bombers and terrorists, such as protest radical jihadists in public, they would not be in Gitmo. This is a fact. Let this be a lesson to the rest of them.

Saddam Hussein who is probably much worse than those prisoners is having a trial
Why is there no trial for the Guantanamo prisoners after 4 years ?

The problem Trebuchet, is that most of those detained in Guantanamo were nabbed at the tail-end of the civil war in Afghanistan. Yes, some or most maybe Taliban neanderthals, but since there are no open trials we really don’t know.

Yes, in a war, skullduggery is to be expected, but Gitmo is a striking symbol of western oppression. While probably better really not to have made such a public case of it, since they have, it would be far better still to publicly try the detainees.

HG

[quote=“trebuchet”]I hope everybody held at Gitmo is in horrible pain right now.

I hope you had a good time today at your little get-together, and warm fuzzy feelings and self-congratulatory pats on the back were had by all. Even though it will have no effect whatsoever on the current situation. :wink:[/quote]

What a stupid thing to say.Had some of the detainees been convicted maybe you’d be on to something

[quote=“NeonNoodle”][quote=“trebuchet”]I hope everybody held at Gitmo is in horrible pain right now.

I hope you had a good time today at your little get-together, and warm fuzzy feelings and self-congratulatory pats on the back were had by all. Even though it will have no effect whatsoever on the current situation. :wink:[/quote][/quote]

What a stupid thing to say./quote]

Perhaps you’re right. I should hae added that there is a slight chance your little hippie party increased the morale of the extremists, and perhaps motivated them to, say, behead more schoolgirls in Indonesia.

Oh, and I still don’t care about the detainees. If they weren’t terrorists when they entered Gitmo, after years of exposure to the hard cases in there, they are now. I doubt they’ll get a fair trial, and quite honestly I think it;s better for the world at large if they don’t.

Have you ever thought about the people you are encouraging?

Have you ever thought of the people you are encouraging asking for vengeance ?

Not asking for the release of the detainees but for the same rule to apply to everyone. Trial, conviction and jail.

Especially when those acts take place in democracies.

ok, vengeance will still be asked after a trial, but at least we (the Western World) will have acted according to our great values and not like any totalitarian country we usually fight.

[quote=“SHARLEE”]Have you ever thought of the people you are encouraging asking for vengeance ?

Not asking for the release of the detainees but for the same rule to apply to everyone. Trial, conviction and jail.

Especially when those acts take place in democracies.

ok, vengeance will still be asked after a trial, but at least we (the Western World) will have acted according to our great values and not like any totalitarian country we usually fight.[/quote]

Vengeance? Why do you think I care about vengeance? The pain comment? Ah, I just said that because it pisses me off when people do things that are good for terrorists/suicide bomber/ Al Qaeda morale… Honestly, vengeance the furthest thing from my mind. I care about preventing terrorist attacks in the future, and preventing the extremists from achieving their goal of a world ruled by Sharia law.

Umm, by becoming an extremist? Bully for you, big boy!

The point you seem to be missing is there are others that feel much like you, the difference is that in fighting fascists we don’t want to turn into, well, fascists. Yes, by all means, let’s do them in, but do it accordance with what we stand for. Lets take the moral highground, we don’t need to behead them on the box, we can incarcerate their sorry arses for an eternity, but only after a proper open trial. It’s the lack of a trial those that oppose us are playing on, our overt hypocricy. While we do this they can, rightly, and are, claiming we have double standards.

HG

If preventing further terrorist attacks is their goal, then torturing and abusing prisoners is the equivalent of shooting themselves in the feet.

This, in the eyes of the Muslim world, reinforces the stereotype held by Muslim extremists that Americans are “barbarians” or “evil” and simply provides them with further provocation to commit acts of terrorism against the US. Not only this, the prisoners, unless they are kept there for the remainder of their lives, will no doubt leave the prison very bitter, and full of a burning hatred and desire for revenge against their captors and torturers, which will in turn fuel more militant extremism and groups willing to use violence and whatever other means they deem necessary to exact revenge and destroy this (from their now very warped perspective based on experiences in this prison) “corrupt and evil” civilisation and wipe it from the face of the earth.

It provides extremist sympathisers with further incentives to incite violence, further means to justify their “jihad”.

Yeah, torturing prisoners makes a lot of sense. :unamused:

Yeah, I understand all that Huang. :unamused: I’m not in charge of Gitmo, ya know.

And Trapjaw, well, yeah, I know that too. My point on this thread is that hippie love-ins in Taiwan won’t have any effect. Neither will arguing on Forumosa. Why do I bother?

But I do hope an earthquake swallows the whole place up soon.