Guanyin shan (across the river from Tamshui)

Has anybody been up this mountain? If so would they recommend it?

Where could I buy a map of this area?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve been up there. Before he moved to Australia, Limey used to lead hikes up there. He knew the trails very well. It’s definitely worth a hike on a nice day. The views are supposedly spectacular (we were in the fog the time I went).

Great hiking maps of various regions of Taipei City and County are available at outdoor stores like Ting San Iou.

Thanks Chris.

I will be in Taiwan between November and January so I should get the chance of a clear day.

I have the ‘Taipei Day Trips’ book whch describes the walk but I would feel safer if I had a decent map so I will check out the hiking store.

[quote=“Little Pig”]Thanks Chris.

I will be in Taiwan between November and January so I should get the chance of a clear day.

I have the ‘Taipei Day Trips’ book whch describes the walk but I would feel safer if I had a decent map so I will check out the hiking store.[/quote]

Actually the TDT books are safer than the maps unless you are fairly familiar with the trails and area already as sometimes the trails and all the branches don’t exactly correspond to the map info.

But Guanyinshan is not a big mountain and you won’t get lost (for long). Head down and you will hit a road sooner or later. If you are going out to explore then leave early. Otherwise stick to main trails.

The views are wonderful from up there on a clear day.