Guardian Unlimited Operation Clark County

Hilarious, though, that the Republicons Abroad take the Guardian so seriously that they have decided to spend their time trying to get Guardian commentary pushed out of the Taipei Times. Nothing better to do?

I guess doing the “elephant walk” at each meeting was getting boring for them.

So prove it. Where’s this link from Flicka? I am waiting.

It’s up above, chimpy. But since you can’t read or operate a computer other than to type, here is Flicka’s post:

[quote=“flicka”]So I am working late and I get this anonymous message with an attachment from Republicans Abroad Taiwan. I then got another one from a friend, so this must be making the rounds. It took me a while to figure out what they meant by “start pushing the Guardian off the editorial pages”. Do Democrats also sit around and plot this way?

October 21, 2004
Let us meet this coming Monday, October 24, at the American Club, in the Chicago Room, to discuss, in particular, the following:

1. The November 3 AmCham election party (with media)
  2. A possible celebration for that evening.
  3. Further media contacts and developments, i.e., to start pushing the Guardian off the editorial pages of the Taipei Times, the Taiwan News, etc.
    Looking forward to seeing you and welcoming you to our meeting next
    Monday, and with kind regards,

Sincerely yours,

E. F. Einhorn
Chairman[/quote]

what’s the big deal? the guardian is one of the most biased papers in the english-speaking world. republicans want to develop media contacts to present opinions that are not so left-leaning.

i’m sure if your cable company offered only fox news but not the bcc or cnn, you’d try to get them to carry the other stations.

i guess they should be using their time more productively. like going onto internet message boards in order to launch personal attacks against others?

They probably do both, flipper.

However, I think it’s hilarious that instead of submitting well-drafted articulate opinion articles for the Taipei Times, they feel it is necessary to “push” out other points of view. Guess the Republicans, as usual, can’t hack it in the marketplace of ideas.

I actually thought the whole thing was cute, viz.:

GUARDIAN (to American voter): Excuse me sir/madam, don’t you think you should rather be voting for that candidate? No, not that one, that one.

AMERICAN VOTER: @!!!XX &&//%%, you ^*# #@!&&!!! :taz: And another thing, ravle, shnavle, bleepety bleep bleep! And in closing, bleeeeeeep! :fume:

GUARDIAN (to its readership): And these are the responses we received: . . . .

Very British. Very American. Very British. I got a kick out of it.

You IP guys oughtta stop and smell the roses once in a while. . . . :laughing:

[quote=“fred smith”]BB:
I think that the Iranian government knows full well that it would rather have K-K-Ke-ke-Kerry in office.
[/quote]

[quote]“We haven’t seen anything good from Democrats,” Rowhani told state-run television in remarks that, for the first time in recent decades, saw Iran openly supporting one U.S. presidential candidate over another.

Though Iran generally does not publicly wade into U.S. presidential politics, it has a history of preferring Republicans over Democrats, who tend to press human rights issues.[/quote]

Iran doesn’t like the way Democrats pressed human rights issues.

I think Fred Smith should know by this type of reporting that Iran would rather support Bush.

no need to keep bringing up already discredited biased news articles:

[quote=“Flipper (as posted in biased media thread)”]more ap anti-Bush bias:

indcjournal.com/archives/001173.php
[/quote]

the ap conveniently forgot to include this quote:

“It makes no difference for us which of the two parties wins the elections,” Iran’s top national security official Hassan Rowhani said in an interview on state television.

afp aticle on the same subject:

Mullah Rowhani: Kerry or Bush, makes no difference to Iran

the ap cuts out the money quote just to slant the whole article.

And now The Guardian thinks the assassination of President Bush is in order…

[quote]

Dumb show

Charlie Brooker
Saturday October 23, 2004
The Guardian

On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod’s law dictates he’ll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr - where are you now that we need you?[/quote]

guardian.co.uk/theguide/colu … 48,00.html

[quote=“Flipper”]
“It makes no difference for us which of the two parties wins the elections,” Iran’s top national security official Hassan Rowhani said in an interview on state television.

the ap cuts out the money quote just to slant the whole article.[/quote]

I disagree - if a person says it makes no difference which candidate wins, and then they say they haven’t seen anything good from the Democrats, they have really expressed a preference for the Republicans, by omission. Thus the money quote is the one dissing Democrats.

But who gives a damn about Iran? Far tackier was Putin’s endorsement of Bush. He is cornering the generalissimo vote, isn’t he?

I guess this is very British too:

[quote=“Charlie Brooker, The Guardian”]Throughout the debate, John Kerry, for his part, looks and sounds a bit like a haunted tree. But at least he’s not a lying, sniggering, drink-driving, selfish, reckless, ignorant, dangerous, backward, drooling, twitching, blinking, mouse-faced little cheat. And besides, in a fight between a tree and a bush, I know who I’d favour.

On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod’s law dictates he’ll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr - where are you now that we need you?[/quote]

Edit: damn! Stalin beat me to it!

Fascinating thread!

I don’t know if this “Fred Smith” character is real or just a tool for the operators of this site to generate argument, but what a great idea.

If the latter is true, you’ve created a great caricature of a dumb, angry American.
But I must protest, much of the world already believes that all Americans are like that, why perpetrate the stereotype?

the iranians have been bagging on bush for 4 years. they say that the democrats also suck. then they say that it makes no difference who wins.

of course, in your partisan mind, that means they support the republicans. :help:

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]
Edit: damn! Stalin beat me to it![/quote]

Historical inevitability.

:bravo: :laughing: :bravo: :laughing:

guardian.co.uk/arts/portrait … 66,00.html

[quote=“Flipper”][quote=“jplowman”]
I disagree - if a person says it makes no difference which candidate wins, and then they say they haven’t seen anything good from the Democrats, they have really expressed a preference for the Republicans, by omission. Thus the money quote is the one dissing Democrats.
[/quote]

the iranians have been bagging on Bush for 4 years. they say that the democrats also suck. then they say that it makes no difference who wins.

of course, in your partisan mind, that means they support the republicans. :help:[/quote]
All the ones that I know do. Of course, we don’t support the mullahs. :smiley:

Looks like The Guardian really screwed the pooch!

election.sos.state.oh.us/results … px?race=PP

:bravo: :laughing: :bravo: :laughing:

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]I guess this is very British too:

I hope not, MaPoSquid. In any case, when I clicked your link today, I got this:

[quote]The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer.

“Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind.”

The article has now been removed from the Guardian Unlimited website. [/quote]

I’d like to personally thank the Guardian for its efforts to help the Republicans win in Ohio. Each little bit helped but perhaps nothing was as effective as the condescending letter-writing campaign. Thank you Guardian!

slate.msn.com/id/2109217/

:laughing:

[quote]Katz also said he knew all along that the letter-writing project could backfire. So, did it? Almost certainly, yes. In 2000, Al Gore won Clark County by 324 votes. And since Ralph Nader received 1,347 votes, we can assume Gore’s margin would have been larger without Nader on the ballot. On Tuesday George Bush won Clark County by 1,620 votes.

The most significant stat here is how Clark County compares to the other 15 Ohio counties won by Gore in 2000. Kerry won every Gore county in Ohio except Clark. He even increased Gore’s winning margin in 12 of the 16. Nowhere among the Gore counties did more votes move from the blue to the red column than in Clark. The Guardian’s Katz was quoted as saying it would be “self-aggrandizing” to claim Operation Clark County affected the election. Don’t be so modest, Ian. [/quote]