Guatemala

So, old JM has an ESL job on the table for Guatemala. This would, of course, scrap my plans to return to Taiwan for the time being. However, I do like the idea of being somewhere I can actually speak the primary language. :laughing: Not to mention that it looks like a beautiful country and a bold new experience.

Well in any case, I just wanted to see if any of you guys/gals have any experience doing ESL in Guatemala, or failing that, Latin America in general. I mean, at this point I know very little other than what I can research here at home, but Iā€™d really like any personal experiences yaā€™ll can relate to me. Many thanks in advance. :notworthy:

Hola Jinete,

Wel, I spent about three months in Guatemala a few years ago and I loved it. I lived in the Lake Atitlan northwest area close to the border (Mexico).You are right about it being absolutely drop-dead, take-your-breath-away, physically beautiful. Think warm Switzerland. Think Hawaii X10. Really!

Now the downside, I didnā€™t teach ESL and donā€™t know what the market is like. Antigua (city) is saturated with Spanish language schools for Norteamericanos learning Spanish. I cannot see how ESL (unless UNI or private) could ever pay enough to give you a comfortable lifestyle to live. This is the problem in both Guate. & Mexico. Youā€™ll need a second source of income/job that is always reliable.

The people and language is Maya-Quiche (YES!) for anyone over 50 years-old. Surprised ? Indistinguishable from the Yuacatan of Mexico. Stong indigenous roots and proud of it. (AZTECA donā€™t go there, comprendes?)
Listem PM me for more info. Iā€™ll look on the 'puter to see what Iā€™ve got . Buena Suerte, Ciao

A good place to start is CIA Factbook, and it has been recently updated

Guatemala

Ethnic groups:

Mestizo (mixed Amerindian-Spanish or assimilated Amerindian - in local Spanish called Ladino), approximately 55%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian, approximately 43%, whites and others 2%

Religions:

Roman Catholic, Protestant, indigenous Mayan beliefs

Languages:

Spanish 60%, Amerindian languages 40% (23 officially recognized Amerindian languages, including Quiche, Cakchiquel, Kekchi, Mam, Garifuna, and Xinca)

Literacy:
age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 70.6%
male: 78%
female: 63.3% (2003 est.)

It is a land of social extremes. The very wealthy and the very poor. I think I will be correct in saying that your students will be from the upper classes.
I worked in the area many years ago.

[quote=ā€œJinete Mortalā€]So, old JM has an ESL job on the table for Guatemala. This would, of course, scrap my plans to return to Taiwan for the time being. However, I do like the idea of being somewhere I can actually speak the primary language. :laughing: Not to mention that it looks like a beautiful country and a bold new experience.

Well in any case, I just wanted to see if any of you guys/gals have any experience doing ESL in Guatemala, or failing that, Latin America in general. I mean, at this point I know very little other than what I can research here at home, but Iā€™d really like any personal experiences yaā€™ll can relate to me. Many thanks in advance. :notworthy:[/quote]

I was in Guatemala a few months ago. No ESL, just a vacation. It was beautiful, and I had the time of my life there. Just watch for the pickpockets - they have truly perfected their art.