"Guess Who" is a really great movie

i loved it. bernie mac is cool and family at the same time!

I have trouble placing Ashton Kutcher and “really great movie” together. Although that said, I haven’t seen Butterfly Effect yet.

I just saw “Guess WHO” and thought it was sooo dumb,corny and stupid at the same time. The direction was horrible. Kusher was decent(and I think he has what it takes) Bernie was good(but Im rooting for anyone from Chicago). It didn’t take much for the writers to just rely on sterotypical jokes and conventional plot lines to make the movie work. And the worst of it all was that girlfriend. OH MY GOD, I just wanted to shoot her as soon as she opened her mouth. That being said, rent “MR. 3000” another Bernie Mac film, which is great!!!

How hard would it have been to do a serious modern take on the original movie, getting the original couple from it to play the parents of a son who brings home the man he wants to marry?

Brilliant! :notworthy: :bravo:
Somebody get me Sidney on the phone…

I remember a while back someone posted a link to these guys that do 4 word reviews.

For instance: Matrix: Whoa! Dude! I’m Christ.

The DNS’ review of Guess Who: Guess Who? Guess What!

Well, we got that sticky Bible issue along with the lobbists in D.C. and the Christian colalition(sp!), but other than that I guess they Kutcher’s agent is pretty well connected?!? :s :smiling_imp:

Like Hollywood cares about intelligence or social commentary any more. Anyway, as good as your idea could be, I can’t see the major studios being willing to forego the massive amount of the American audience who wouldn’t want to go see a movie about “them thar ho-mo-sekshuls” nor risk the gigantic protests the movie would inevitably generate.

Hello?

Is it me you’re looking for?

Teehee, too much K-Teevee?

Like Hollywood cares about intelligence or social commentary any more. Anyway, as good as your idea could be, I can’t see the major studios being willing to forego the massive amount of the American audience who wouldn’t want to go see a movie about “them thar ho-mo-sekshuls” nor risk the gigantic protests the movie would inevitably generate.[/quote]

Hmm, this situation sounds familiar…I wonder how many people didn’t go see the original movie because of the issues it raised, issues that were just as contentious in that era?

But you’re right. Hollywood is so convinced that the road to riches lies in sequel making, there’s little chance of this happening.

Like Hollywood cares about intelligence or social commentary any more. Anyway, as good as your idea could be, I can’t see the major studios being willing to forego the massive amount of the American audience who wouldn’t want to go see a movie about “them thar ho-mo-sekshuls” nor risk the gigantic protests the movie would inevitably generate.[/quote]

Hmm, this situation sounds familiar…I wonder how many people didn’t go see the original movie because of the issues it raised, issues that were just as contentious in that era?

But you’re right. Hollywood is so convinced that the road to riches lies in sequel making, there’s little chance of this happening.[/quote]

Ohh god, Are we gonna get on that "Hollywood is the devil’ rant because they aren’t making films that aren’t progressive? It’s not always the sequel factor that determines what the studios make or don’t, it’s the budget line. Kutcher and Mac aren’t 15 million dollar players, yet they can draw in a respectable crowd that would cover all costs on a film. That’s the bottom line, folks. Also, most studios when dealing with these movie rewrites, usually go over several scenerios that would work, and also be cost effective. Lesson learned in film school(well actually it was a mantra)-If you don’t like what’s being made, then make it yourself.

Hollywood films are filled with gay characters, or rather caricatures, these days. What is stifled on screen is anyone showing any honest emotional reaction upon discovering that family members are gay. It is a serious trauma for many people which Holloywood manages to pass off as so much fluff. Likewise the ordeal faced by those who struggle to come out.

[quote=“Poagao”]Hmm, this situation sounds familiar…I wonder how many people didn’t go see the original movie because of the issues it raised, issues that were just as contentious in that era?

But you’re right. Hollywood is so convinced that the road to riches lies in sequel making, there’s little chance of this happening.[/quote]
My point was less in the sequel and more purely in the bottom line. Contentious = smaller audience = smaller box office. And I am pretty much totally convinced that Hollywood today is far more about the lowest-common-denominator and bottom line than they were before. See exhibit A: Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer still have careers.

this is too much for me guys! if i wanna think i’ll go see a french film! it was cute, funny, talked about love, family guy stuff. what can i say?

and what’s with everybody going hello kitty??