Guilty of self-censoring writing about China?

I’ve come a long way and nothing to be proud of.
Formerly, a staunch patriot who would embrace his Taiwanese drinking buddies and swear to defend the island to the last drop,
And now, writing textbooks with a cowardly eye on anything that might cause offense in the Central Kingdom. Where I would actually like to place an article about the Boxer Rebellion I end up placing a puff piece on Chinese culture. Beggars can’t be choosers I guess.

Anyone else been selling out?

Anything for 30 pieces of silver

I’ve been posting a bit of stuff about Tibetans lately on my site and if doesn’t seem to be causing offense, at least to Chinese companies that I sometimes shoot stuff for.

Every bloody day, several times. I don’t really care though, as I never bought in in the first place.

I’m afraid that with all these Saffers and Canadian backpacker types about, the going rate for selling out has gone down to 20 pieces of silver. :wink:

So, how many people are reading your site? :smiley:

So, how many people are reading your site? :smiley:[/quote]

Somewhere around 1000-1500 per week.

AJ, doesn’t sound like you’re selling out, but self-censoring.

I had my moment of temptation a while ago when I realized I was changing “country” to “island” without being asked to, or being given any sign that the former would not be acceptable. Fuck it. I wrote and continue to write country and no one has ever said a thing.

I believe Taiwanese should have the right to self-determination and I refuse to write anything to the contrary. And frankly, no one cares. Last June I was travelling with 6 Chinese authors and was able to argue amicably about Taiwan with all of them. Some even said they’ve had similar argument when travelling abroad and meeting die-hard TI supporters.

If Ma Ying Jeou can say publically that Taiwan is an independent sovereign nation why on Earth do you think you can’t say it as well?

So quit being a pussy. It’s not like you are arguing in favor of NAMBLA.

So, how many people are reading your site? :smiley:[/quote]

Somewhere around 1000-1500 per week.[/quote]

Holy barnyard animals! That’s a fine number. Certainly pays to post pics of scantily-clad wimmins.
So, you don’t self-censor? Or you tone it done so it’s not obviously subversive but a knowing eye can read between the lines?

I try not to self-censor, although for me, it’s the photos that are important, not any writing that goes with them. I can probably “get away” with more through images than I could with words.

I did use phrases the other day like “fled Tibet”, “seeking the ability to live lives as free human beings, something that wasn’t possible in Chinese controlled Tibet” and “when the Chinese had also invaded Tibet.”

craigfergusonimages.com/2009 … arjeeling/

Sorry for the link spam.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]AJ, doesn’t sound like you’re selling out, but self-censoring.

I had my moment of temptation a while ago when I realized I was changing “country” to “island” without being asked to, or being given any sign that the former would not be acceptable. Fuck it. I wrote and continue to write country and no one has ever said a thing.

I believe Taiwanese should have the right to self-determination and I refuse to write anything to the contrary. And frankly, no one cares. Last June I was travelling with 6 Chinese authors and was able to argue amicably about Taiwan with all of them. Some even said they’ve had similar argument when travelling abroad and meeting die-hard TI supporters.

If Ma Ying Jeou can say publicly that Taiwan is an independent sovereign nation why on Earth do you think you can’t say it as well?

So quit being a pussy. It’s not like you are arguing in favor of NAMBLA.[/quote]

Good man.
Actually, most of my self-censorship is not the standard cross-strait nonsense. The stuff I censor tends to be of an imperialist nature. The writing makes a lot sense while I’m sitting here pissed and fantasizing that it’s the late 19th century, but in the cold hard sober light of day articles like “The Myth that Opium Weakened China,” “Rickshaw Races,” and “Ten Tips for Controlling House Coolies” don’t seem quite right somehow.
But you’re right. I should stop being a pussy. Time for some Dutch Courage.

What’s NAMBLA - one of these free-trade agreement things?

Yeah, something like free trade:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer … ssociation

I’m afraid that with all these Saffers and Canadian backpacker types about, the going rate for selling out has gone down to 20 pieces of silver. :wink:[/quote]

yeah, as oppose to the high price Kiwis, :roflmao: a couple of raw lamb shanks wrapped in wool and five minutes alone to pleasure yourself is all it would take to get you lot to bend.

now go back to your little corner Frodo and continue to allow the Convicts to have their way with you.

Chinese printers. Everest is in China, apparently. Who knew? Thought ‘fuck that’ and wrote summin else.

Not sure what your point is. Everest is on the border between China and Nepal. That’s not really in dispute.

I’m afraid that with all these Saffers and Canadian backpacker types about, the going rate for selling out has gone down to 20 pieces of silver. :wink:[/quote]

yeah, as oppose to the high price Kiwis, :roflmao: a couple of raw lamb shanks wrapped in wool and five minutes alone to pleasure yourself is all it would take to get you lot to bend.[/quote]
Deuce, where are you getting your inside info? Have you lived in New Zealand, or perhaps your woman is from there?

I prefer to think of it as bonding with my ANZAC brothers.

Not sure what your point is. Everest is on the border between China and Nepal. That’s not really in dispute.[/quote]
It’s in British India, and if anyone dare say otherwise, I’m going to open a tin of spank bottom.

SPA nk botto M

SPAM.

Bully for you!