Guitar repair and shop services

To be fair that second picture (almost) works. Better lightning needed though.

1 Like

His brother is a jazz celebrity.

Jokes aside, apparently he plays guitar to crowds bigger than my audience (my neighbours): https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2020/12/11/2003748512

Can you spare a clean wall?

4 Likes

I think there’s a stack of tires beside the clean wall. Remember the tire stack?

1 Like

I believe he’s a hired musician… you know ones that gets hired to play for pop acts and people like that. Very few musicians get there… and you have to be very good to be, considering guitar players are a dime a dozen. I just helped him setup a tom anderson that has one of those newer floyd rose. Gave him some advise on locking tuners (you pull the string taut, then lock it, cut it, and tune to pitch, the whole point of it is to not have windings). Mainly he only has two springs on the tremolo cavity and of course thing goes out of tune. I helped him add a third one. These tremolos are a balancing act and anytime you change anything, you have to adjust it over and over again until it stabilizes.

1 Like

I think we have a winner. Just move the stack of tyres and I think the guitar resting against a plastic Christmas tree might work.

3 Likes

He’s Jolin Tsai’s guitarist of choice. Pretty much the go to session guitarist in Taiwan for most rock acts. I’ve seen him play, he is very good.

4 Likes

He tells me that he doesn’t get that much work, says most his work is in China. Seems the music business in Taiwan is really small.

2 Likes

Can you make his hat with the death skulls?

Saw this and remembered this forum.

There’s a FB group about launching a Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign from Taiwan

I like the customizable playing cards concept. That has real potential.

I would need a printing press to make playing cards…

Wood pens have been popular in the past. You have a lathe now, right? You could turn some Typhoon pens that can use standard refills made by other companies. You could probably make 100 pens with just one log from a lumberyard.

I just need to figure out where to get refills and hardware in commercial quantity, but I can turn wood pens out of scrap stock.

how about some tops

You were doing a lot better with taking attractive photos before - suggest retaking these. Nobody needs to see an unmade bed and your electricity bill, and it detracts from what you’re selling.

1 Like

Looks nice but you gotta get some decent pictures up, with some closeups of the details or something.

I know this is just a quick pic to show it’s done, but that looks like a undergrad bedroom with a guitar in it.

1 Like

This custom guitar shop has a nice FB page:

Note:

• Well-lit photos of their guitars against a black curtain. Includes full guitar front &back, and close-ups of headstock, bridge, and pickups.
  • All posts are in both Chinese and English.
  • Price list in their online store
  • Ability to book appointments online for guitar setup etc.
  • They sell “experience days” where customers can design and build parts of a guitar, e.g. pickguard.

I know @Taiwan_Luthiers is leaving the business, but thought I post for prosperity.

Also has anyone been to this shop?

1 Like

I’ve done what I can but I’m not attracting taiwanese customers at all. They appear to have much bigger budgets and have better businessmen behind it. I’m just a one man operation.

However tentatively until further notice I’ll still take on repair work. But I don’t think building is worth the huge investment it requires.

I can have experience days, but even then it was attracting no one.

Understand. However, I just saw it and wanted to post it as an example of a business that really goes all-out to make their guitars look desirable. I don’t think it takes a “bigger budget” to take photos of a guitar in front of a black curtain rather than a messy bed.

I get the impression that you think your guitars should sell themselves, but it’s sadly not that simple. Customers aren’t aware of the effort that goes into building, they just care about the final result.

Could you add Chinese to all parts of your FB page? I feel like posting in English only might put off Taiwanese clients who are looking for repairs.

This part would be difficult for a 1-man operation. The above shop probably offers these experiences to give staff something to do during downtime.

1 Like