Guitar strings

Does anyone know where I can buy classical guitar strings downtown.
I’ve tried the music shop above the TLI on Hshing Yi road but they only have accustic strings.

Try Apa (?) on the east corner of Jinshan S. Rd and Hoping E. Rd.

Galaxy, further up Jinshan S. Rd. about one block south of Zhongxiao E. Rd. definitely has them, as does the little music store in the basement of the Kuanghua Market on Bade Rd.

Many thanks sandman.
went to Galaxy on Saturday ( they had a great choice too) and am now happily plucking away again.

Looking for 12 gauge (or 11 will do)…

Flat wound even (asking for too much)…

will take round wound if that’s all there is.

I went to some music stores by the Train station in Taipei and they only carry 9s and 10s. Music store close by was the same.

Any music stores in Taipei that carry a broad range of strings…and everything musical in general?

Thanks for any help.

I like to play on heavy strings, but they’re difficult to find here – 9s are by far the most popular – don’t ask me why. :noway:

However, I recently managed to find some sets of 13s (acoustic) in Galaxy on Jinshan S. Road (about a block south of Chunghsiao East Rd. – after trailing round many, many stores. :fume:
For electric it’s even more difficult and I usually end up mixing and matching strings from different sets to get what I want. Gibson have some “signature” strings and the BB King ones are OK (10-56) as long as you resign yourself to the fact that you’ll have to get a heavier top string from somewhere else – I usually replace the top e with a b string from a lighter set. Expensive and wasteful, but what can you do?
Flatwound? I have bought some here in the past, but can’t remember where.
Tony’s Music off Heping East Road is also a good bet.

You should go to juststrings.com and order some. Order a bunch of strings to make shipping worth the cost.

Great site! Finally a place where I can get Irish-style bouzouki strings.
Many thanks!
And Tomastik and Pyramids! In a .14 gauge! My bending fingers are going to be crying! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Great! Thanks for that site! I knew there must be a site out there that ships internationally.

9’s are popular because of the style of music Taiwanese people play. They are mostly into speed/thrash metal. It’s hard to fly over the neck with 11’s or 12’s on it. SRV played with 12’s and he had awful problems with his fingers.

Is Galaxy still there?

Is Galaxy still there?[/quote]

Absolutely.

Danke! :slight_smile:

I was there in, like, October, I think.
They’ve been around forever, I doubt they’re goin anywhere.
Although, they are on the 'nother side of the road from what they was in the mid-90s, they used to be on the west side, quite a bit closer to Hsin Yi. Now they’re on the east side, where Snadman says.

Shouldn’t this be in Food?
Oh, no, OK, never mind.

I was there in, like, October, I think.
They’ve been around forever, I doubt they’re goin anywhere.
Although, they are on the 'nother side of the road from what they was in the mid-90s, they used to be on the west side, quite a bit closer to Hsin Yi. Now they’re on the east side, where Snadman says.

Shouldn’t this be in Food?
Oh, no, OK, never mind.[/quote]
Ha! Fuckin’ new guy! :wink: I remember buying my first horn here off that Galaxy bloke when he still had his hole in the wall in that row of shops used to back onto the railtracks on Chunghwa Rd. It cost eleven shillings and sixpence ha’penny, which would be around NT$50,000 in today’s money.

Well, FWIW, I checked out classical strings at ATB (Tony’s) off Heping E. Rd., the Guanghua electronics market 5F store on Civic Blvd., Player (Jinhua Street just off Roosevelt), Tunhuang Music Co. (just north of NE corner Jianguo & Nanjing), and Galaxy (golden ants) at Jinshan Rd. #37, as well as at SBM (Stringsbymail.com).

The Guanghua store had an ok selection but was grossly overpriced, charging 50% or more above other stores.

ATB (Tony’s) has decent prices (and the best in town on Hannabach 815 MT, Savarez 500CR, 520R and 540R AFAIK) but a smallish selection.

Player had good prices (the lowest on d’Addario ProArte in town AFAIK at $250), but a small selection.

Tun Huang had a pitiful selection and are beat on prices too.

Galaxy had a so-so selection, but fair to good prices; their d’Addario EJ27 at $150 was the best in Taibei AFAIK.

Overall, if you are ordering from Stringsbymail and order about 5 sets, the cost will be slightly higher than the decently priced stores in town, but you get a HUMONGOUS selection and a lot more information plus great service, and if you happen to be visiting a relative in the States or have one visiting you, shipping to them will be your cheapest option every time. :2cents:

I have a set of acoustic 11s that I will never use (they fuck my hands up). If anyone wants to pick them up for free (I’m in Taipei) drop me a PM.

(More info: I’m near Xihu during the day, Xingtiangong on weekends/evenings).

Hi, I’m moving to Taiwan (Beitou area) and I’m curious if I should stock up on guitar/bass strings in the U.S. before I go. I have an acoustic guitar on which I’ve always used D’Addario J16 Phosphor Bronze. My electric semi-hollow is strung with similar gauge nickel-wound strings, and I have an M.V. Pedulla 5-string bass.

Are strings readily available in Beitou or Taipei? I’m thinking there must be plenty of musicians in the city who need strings. I’m also guessing that Beitou will be a bit harder on my strings than the dry area where I live now, so they may corrode faster. What’s the going price for a set of strings?

Let me know! Thanks!

[quote=“loaker”]Hi, I’m moving to Taiwan (Beitou area) and I’m curious if I should stock up on guitar/bass strings in the U.S. before I go. I have an acoustic guitar on which I’ve always used D’Addario J16 Phosphor Bronze. My electric semi-hollow is strung with similar gauge nickel-wound strings, and I have an M.V. Pedulla 5-string bass.

Are strings readily available in Beitou or Taipei? I’m thinking there must be plenty of musicians in the city who need strings. I’m also guessing that Beitou will be a bit harder on my strings than the dry area where I live now, so they may corrode faster. What’s the going price for a set of strings?

Let me know! Thanks![/quote]

Martin phosphor bronze go for about NTD200 downtown. If you’re living in Beitou bring string wipes…Beitou has hellishly corrosive air. We’re talking over-night tarnishing from the sulphur vapors.

D’Addario Phosphor Bronze are getting harder and harder to find in Taiwan as they appear to be pushing the coated strings instead. I say stock up on your favourite strings before you come.

Thanks to all for the quick replies! Sounds like I’d better stock up. I can see how the coated strings might fare better in Beitou’s corrosive air, but they never sound “new,” even when I first put them on. I’ll probably keep the instruments in their cases more, just in hopes of reducing the exposure. And I’ll put my stock of strings in air-tight bags, too, probably! Again, thanks for the info. Any suggestions on music stores in Beitou? How about your favorites in Taipei?