Guitarist: Boss Microcube is the STUFF!

no lie. i love my microcube. i have it next to my sofa so i can watch TV and practice(kind of like a zen state…it helps). it has an “I POD input” (1/8 inch) and another input (1/4 inch) in the back. they are stereo in, summed to mono. it has a headphone/rec out which is REALLY clean but defeats the speaker.i’m gonna mod it so it doesn’t.
the amp models and even the acoustic modeler are good.i use the jazz model mostly.
the chorus is spot on for modern jazz, the phase works perfectly for my version of “just the way you are” and the reverb and delay are great.
best of all, it can be powered by 6 batteries for a long time (haven’t tried that yet) so you can play in shi men ding. i’m worried about it not being loud enough though.
i’m gonna make a serious mod by adding a ring tip sleeve insert. does anyone know how to do this?

They really are the stuff, aren’t they. I never noticed an i-pod input on mine though. The only stupid thing is that naff tuner thingy – that space could have been used for something better.
Anything up to the “JC120” setting won’t give you enough volume for outside in a busy area, but the “Blackface” is still pretty clean and a good bit louder. You can of course use the “Marshall Stack” or “rectifier” settings and you’ll be plenty loud, but much too dirty for jazz.
I’ve used mine outside with a couple of acoustics, a fiddle, banjo, mandolin, etc., even a couple of hand drums, and it seems to cut through just fine.
The batteries – you haven’t tried the battery option? Man, its fanstastic – Roland claims you can get 20 hours out of one set and they’re not far wrong. Replace the carrying strap with an old guitar strap, sling it over your other shoulder and you’re all set.
One amp, one git, one cable. Doesn’t get any more portable than that.
For the money (about NT$5,000, right?) one of the best bits of kit I’ve ever bought.
Bombproof, too – I dropped mine from waist height onto concrete and it didn’t miss a beat.

Sounds great!

Every single reviewer gave is 5 stars (out of 5) here: http://www.music123.com/Boss-MicroCube-Guitar-Amplifier-i126107.music?t=4#tab

So who sells them?

Its a Roland product, so they should be readily available here. I got mine purely as an impulse buy in a little mom & pop music store in Hsintien, but really, these things are so good that I’ll bet just about any music store here will have at least heard of them and could order one for you.

I’ll keep an eye out. I’m not in a hurry. All I need is a little reverb and I don’t plan to be busking. Thanks for the info. With the recommendations of Sandman and rantheman, they should start selling like hots cakes around here.

sand,
5000 was a little steep. i got mine for 3400!!! you’re right about the volume. i actually want to use it in pubs with a house mic to it. it makes it easy on everyone since i have a drum machine plugged into the back. i’m gonna use it at the living room soon hopefully.
have any of you seen MADPLAYER? it’s supposed to be pretty cool for making tracks. i told my new friend M here in chu shan he should get one to play sax to. it looks pretty simple to use.

[quote=“rantheman”]sand,
5000 was a little steep. I got mine for 3400!!! you’re right about the volume. I actually want to use it in pubs with a house mic to it. it makes it easy on everyone since I have a drum machine plugged into the back. I’m gonna use it at the living room soon hopefully.
have any of you seen MADPLAYER? it’s supposed to be pretty cool for making tracks. I told my new friend M here in chu shan he should get one to play sax to. it looks pretty simple to use.[/quote]
Then you’re nothing but a dirty bastard :wink:. Actually, I know 5k was high, but hell, I’ll always try to support the little guy, so whatever… plus, it was the kind of thing “I just gotta have it. NOW” kind of deal.
What’s MADPLAYER? Sounds interesting, but “making tracks” makes me think of recording, which makes me think of nasty little rooms smelling of sweaty feet and endless sitting around getting bored. I just want to BLOW, baby!
I’d use something a bit bigger for the Living Room, though, if I were you. Or talk to Corbett about it beforehand (www.3q2u.com is his blog if you want to get in touch, although he also posts here but I can’t remember what’s his username.)

MADPLAYER confuses me a little. it has a midi function thru USB that works with its software. i has sounds and loops. you have six “lanes” (i guess tracks) where you can turn the loops on and off in the track then save the final result as a really small file. it sounds really excellent. just look on the website. they have some sound samples. it looks like a little computer game.

I got one of those microcubes today. It is really cool. I didn’t even try it out in the shop. (Galaxy. 4200NT) I took it home and started on some finger picking stuff pretty slow and mellow, but I know then not all that glitters is gold, so I started strumming. It made me wonder, I clicked it over to the stacks and my head was humming and it won’t go, It just kept building and I was rocking out. My fans were jumping up and down. “Turn it down daddy!” But it was to late. I was already chuffing on the wacka wacka part. And as I wound on down the road, my shadow was taller than my soul. And then I was spent. Thanks for the advice. I like it. I like it a lot.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Glad you like it Richard. Have fun! Don’t worry about the pesky fans – set your phaser to stun and really let 'em have it!