Gulu's House

My wife and I were at Gulu’s House yesterday. We’d driven past it several times, but we were on foot yesterday and took a look at the menu. We went back later for supper and were quite impressed. The restaurant is very cozy and tasteful inside. We ordered their $850-for-two combo, which included a wide choice of appetizers, soup, main course, dessert, and drink (no service charge). Special highlights were the French Onion Soup, Chicken Leg with Ratatouille, and Crème Brûlée. Highly recommended. It’s located at 48 Jing Ming Road, a smallish street near the Tempus Hotel (formerly Landis Hotel), Papa Mia, and Franco Papa.

For some reason, I can’t link to the article in Compass Magazine, so you’ll have to do a Google Search. Also, Google Maps’ street view for Taichung hasn’t been updated since the restaurant moved to its new location.

My wife and I stopped by here for lunch on Saturday based on your recommendation. We were both impressed with the quality and quantity of food included in the $850 for 2 people deal.

We started with the duck salad and clams in garlic butter. I had the onion soup and my wife tried the mushroom soup. The onion soup was as good as any I have ever had and the mushroom soup was okay with the addition of some black pepper. For our main courses my wife had the chicken ratatouille and I had the pork with mustard sauce, both were very good. My wife ordered the creme brulee for desert so I decided to try the chocolate pudding. Both were very good, the pudding was not as sweet as I was fearing. The only let down was the house red wine, but for $110 I can’t really complain too loudly.

Overall it was a nice way to spend a couple of hours on a lazy Saturday afternoon. We will come back to try the shepherds pie next time.