Gun-Law Expert Opposes Arresting Kerry in Shotgun Incident

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“cableguy”]Tigerman wrote

quote Kerry accepted a shotgun as a gift.
(2) Kerry was in West Virginia at the time.
(3) Kerry is a Massachusetts resident (although he may claim dual residency in D.C.).
(4) The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits receiving a firearm in any state except your home state, with the exception of a purchase in an adjoining state from a federally licensed firearms dealer (aka “FFL”).

(5) Kerry’s crime warrants a five-year prison sentence.[/quote]

Tigerman,
Are you suggesting that Kerry be prosecuted for accepting the gun? If no, then what is your point about this non-issue with Kerry? If you are, isn’t that a bit silly? After all, what if he didn’t know what the law was pertaining to accepting such a gift? (I am sure many American people don’t know that this particular law exists).
Aren’t you really just making a mountain out of a molehill?[/quote]
Well, first off, it was me, not Tigerman, who posted that.

Second off, yes, I am suggesting that he be prosecuted under the laws of the United States of America, which he as a Senator is supposed to follow – nay, not merely to follow, but to set, and to set an example of following.

Third off, who gives a rat’s ass that some people don’t know that this law exists? Any gun owner who has ever purchased a firearm has been made more than merely aware of it; said gun owner has been forced to wait for a minimum of five days under the Brady Act law that Kerry ramrodded through back in 1993.

Fourth off, no, I don’t think it’s a mountain out of a molehill. You’re the one who fears and loathes anyone who would dare to possess a firearm. I think you should be more afraid of that lying criminal, John “Flip-Flop” Kerry.

Wow! Your post shows why I don’t think certain people should own guns. If you can get this upset over a simple mistake, I can only imagine the damage you could inflict with your semi-automatic in hand if someone say, oh, dented your car in a fender-bender. :astonished:

Does he seem upset? I don’t think so. I think he does point out that you should learn to read more carefully, but nevermind, it happens to all of us. Even to the august Frederick P. Smith v.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“cableguy”]Tigerman wrote

quote Kerry accepted a shotgun as a gift.
(2) Kerry was in West Virginia at the time.
(3) Kerry is a Massachusetts resident (although he may claim dual residency in D.C.).
(4) The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits receiving a firearm in any state except your home state, with the exception of a purchase in an adjoining state from a federally licensed firearms dealer (aka “FFL”).

(5) Kerry’s crime warrants a five-year prison sentence.[/quote]

Tigerman,
Are you suggesting that Kerry be prosecuted for accepting the gun? If no, then what is your point about this non-issue with Kerry? If you are, isn’t that a bit silly? After all, what if he didn’t know what the law was pertaining to accepting such a gift? (I am sure many American people don’t know that this particular law exists).
Aren’t you really just making a mountain out of a molehill?[/quote]

Sorry about the mistake. Please don’t shoot me! :astonished:

I have no doubt that you would like to see him thrown in jail for as long as the law would allow. After all, why give someone a break who made an innocent mistake, especially if that mistake didn’t hurt anyone. (Quite a different situation with the “mistake” when your buddy Bush made in which many now are dead).
How did Kerry set a bad example for people to follow? If he didn’t know the law, and let’s face it, this law is being brought up only because he is running for America’s highest office against Bush, then how did he set a bad example? We all make errors, even you, Squid, like when you vote for Bush.

Oh, I thought that would kind of be important but I guess I am wrong. :unamused: I guess it matters not at all that somene doesn’t know they are breaking the law as long as they have broken it. (Thank god Squid is not a prosecutor or the jails would even be more filled than they already are).

Yea, that terrible Brady Act. A man gets shot in the head for no reason, is forced to endure hardships for the rest of his life due to the injury and fights to get a law to protect others and that is a bad idea. :astonished:

Please show me where I ever said anything like this at all. Why don’t you take your own advice and learn to read.

Please reveal how Kerry is a criminal? Where is your proof? Where did he lie? I honestly think you have mistaken Kerry for your buddy Bush, who is a lying, cowardly hypocrite.

[quote=“cableguy”]Tigerman
Very sorry, Squid did write that. :blush: [/quote]

No problem. I know that you are easily confused… :wink:

So, you figure that Kerry is above average, right? So, even if he doesn’t need to possess or carry a gun, you are not uneasy about him carrying a gun… right?

So how do we distinguish who is average and who is not?

Politicians? Wealthy people? Wealthy people who leech off their spouses? Who can carry guns even when they need not carry them without making you feel uneasy?

Tigerman wrote [quote]Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.

Are you suggesting that Kerry’s transgression of the law be condoned and or overlooked?[/quote]

Yes, I do believe that Kerry, if he didn’t know what the law was, should not be held responsible.

While ignorance of the law may be no excuse for breaking the law, I do believe that ignorance could be a reason for a person not being punished. Let me give you a hypothetical situation and you tell me what you think.

If I received a package in the mail containing stolen merchandise but I had no way of knowing that the package contained stolen goods, even though it is a crime to receive stolen goods, do you really think I should be prosecuted for this “crime?” I say no because I had no way of knowing the package had stolen goods. Why do you believe,if you do, that I should be held responsible?

What if the person who handed him the gun (or someone who arranged for him to receive it) knew that it would cause problems that could possibly get him disqualified from the presidential race?

:ponder: . o O (Hmmm…)

[quote=“ImaniOU”]What if the person who handed him the gun (or someone who arranged for him to receive it) knew that it would cause problems that could possibly get him disqualified from the presidential race?

:ponder: . o O (Hmmm…)[/quote]

Excellent point!!! However, we know that the Republicans would never stoop to something so low down and dirty simply to win an election :unamused:

It is not a crime to receive stolen goods in the manner you indicate above. However, it would be a crime for you to keep them.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]What if the person who handed him the gun (or someone who arranged for him to receive it) knew that it would cause problems that could possibly get him disqualified from the presidential race?

What if that were so? So what?

Kerry is a senator. That means he is involved in the drafting, deliberation, and passage of laws… including gun laws. Kerry has been a senator for 20 years. I think it fairly safe to assume that he should be aware of the laws… and if he isn’t, he should have been smart enough to inquire about the same.

[quote=“The Magnificent Tigerman”][quote=“ImaniOU”]What if the person who handed him the gun (or someone who arranged for him to receive it) knew that it would cause problems that could possibly get him disqualified from the presidential race?

What if that were so? So what?

Kerry is a senator. That means he is involved in the drafting, deliberation, and passage of laws… including gun laws. Kerry has been a senator for 20 years. I think it fairly safe to assume that he should be aware of the laws… and if he isn’t, he should have been smart enough to inquire about the same.[/quote]

Tigerman,

Apparently because Kerry is an elected official, in your book that means that he should be aware of all the laws about everything. You can’t seriously believe that is possible, do you?
What does the amount of time he has been in office have to do with anything? If he accepted a gift, and then it was discovered that he should not have accepted the gift, why can’t that be considered a simple error on his part? Why does it have to be such a grave error that would suggest he is a criminal?

Let me ask you this. If Bush had done the same thing as Kerry, accepting such a gift, would you honestly be pointing out that Bush had committed a crime or would you simply ignore the error and even say he had just made a mistake?

I bet that you would be pointing out that Bush had committed a crime.

Right?

I bet that you would be pointing out that Bush had committed a crime.

Right?[/quote]

Good attempt to dodge the question, tigerman, but how about answering it if you don’t mind? After all, many of you Republicans claim that I often don’t answer questions fully enough for your satisfaction and you wouldn’t want the mob to gang up on you and accuse you of doing the same, would you? (Of course, no Republicans on this site would ever do that to one of their own so you are safe. However, would you mind answering my question directly and honestly?).

If Bush broke the law I would be pissed at him… and I would expect him to be responsible for the consequences of the same. So yes, I guess I would point out his offense.

And I’ve said as much with respect to his military service record. But, nobody has been able to show that Bush did break any law. But, we all now know that Kerry broke the law.

What is Kerry’s stance on gun control?

Now admit that if Bush broke the law in the manner you identified that you would be all over the story.

If Bush broke the law I would be pissed at him… and I would expect him to be responsible for the consequences of the same. So yes, I guess I would point out his offense.

And I’ve said as much with respect to his military service record. But, nobody has been able to show that Bush did break any law. But, we all now know that Kerry broke the law.

What is Kerry’s stance on gun control?

Now admit that if Bush broke the law in the manner you identified that you would be all over the story.[/quote]

Tigerman,

I will admit that I am biased against Bush so I would probably, no I would definately jump all over the story with pleasure.

From the get go this thread has been about: Legal experts have determined that Kerry was within the boundaries of the law. There’s no big news story from AP or Reuters because there’s no big story here.

The actual reason that the so called “expert” says that Kerry should not be arrested is that in fact Kerry did nothing illegal. Doesn’t it seem ridiculous that a story with the title “Expert Says Kerry Should Not Be Arrested” makes everyone want to leap at his throat. What are they saying, “If he’s not arrested it must be because he has done something wrong”?