Gun Rights

Not necessarily true, in Germany there is no speed limit on freeways and the death rate in general is low, even much lower compared to countries which impose limits (say around the 110km/h mark). Of course comparing to Asian countries is a bit flawed but I hope you catch my meaning.
It’s not the free speed limit which causes the death, it’s drivers not observing the safety distance and the speed driven in situations which require drivers to be more cautious and adapt their speed accordingly - and very often that requires driving at a much slower speed, even far below e.g. a limit 110km/h.
Just picture heavy rain, snow, fog, ice etc. - in some cases even 50km/h on a freeway can be too much.

Speed doesn’t kill - but speeding does.

[quote=“Rascal”]It’s not the free speed limit which causes the death, it’s drivers not observing the safety distance and the speed driven in situations which require drivers to be more cautious and adapt their speed accordingly - and very often that requires driving at a much slower speed, even far below e.g. a limit 110km/h…
Speed doesn’t kill - but speeding does.[/quote]

Great! So you agree that the US is correct in retaining the 2nd Amendment, right?

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the 2nd amendment?

(And I assume it’s longer than one sentence, so please highlight the part you are referring to clearly)

[quote=“Rascal”]Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the 2nd amendment?

(And I assume it’s longer than one sentence, so please highlight the part you are referring to clearly)[/quote]

Don’t assume anything, Rascal :wink:

As you stated, cars don’t kill… well, neither do guns… right?

I come from a place, where millitary assualt rifles can be found in nearly 5% of all homes. (Home defense militia)

Nearly no gun-related murders, as people have to be put thru the educational paces before they get the rifle.

However the principle is very much like the spirit of the second amendment, which was meant to make sure that all pater familias would have a weapon, so they could bash the poms.

I don’t really think the intention was to enable a person without any training in how to handle a gun to run around with one is his belt.

Crime and gun usage is not necessarily a question of education or training Mr. He. Sure maybe it is for a seven year old, but in general, people do not need to be “taught” that guns are dangerous or that crime is “wrong.” But since you have brought in the matter of education and training, I would say that IQ and crime are strongly correlated. But then this leads to the whole debate that MUST NOT BE DISCUSSED.

I didn’t say anything like that (the issue was speed/speeding, not using a car in general) and thus don’t see why you brought it up - but the comparision to guns is heavily flawed, guns are made for killing people, cars are not.

You stated:

Right. And its not the gun/bullet that causes death… its the gunner’s careless or inappropriate use of the gun/bullet that causes death. Do you agree with that? If no, why?

Did I read it right recently…?

Sweden, with its much vaunted ‘social-market’ system, has a higher rate of murders per head of population than the US?

OK. I know the two countries are not directly comparable because of different urban population densities as such… but still, surprised me. Someone please tell me I got the stats wrong…

Maybe it is little to do with gun ownership …

[quote=“imyourbiggestfan”]Did I read it right recently…?

Sweden, with its much vaunted ‘social-market’ system, has a higher rate of murders per head of population than the US?

OK. I know the two countries are not directly comparable because of different urban population densities as such… but still, surprised me. Someone please tell me I got the stats wrong…

Maybe it is little to do with gun ownership …[/quote]

Some of my Swedish friends point gun crimes to the growing immigrant population with its problems of assimilation, ‘ghettos’/insular communities/drug business. apparently, there are lots of muslims and vietnamese there. My friend says Malmo is a good example of the lack of melting pot and racial problems.

I’m not certain at all that strict or lax gun control has much influence on the amount of violent crime a nation has.

The US, per my understanding, has a higher non-gun murder rate than the total murder rates of many European countries. However, Taiwan, the Philippines, and Mexico, again, per my knowledge, have non-gun murder rates that exceed the total murder rate in the US.

:!: [color=red]Firstly I wish to state that I didn’t open this thread. Obviously the moderator has taken the liberty on my behalf without my consent or approval. I expect that this will not happen again.[/color]

I furthermore wish to point out that I didn’t involve myself into the part of the discussion which was about speed limits, I just stated facts to correct a statement made, it was not an opinion.
As such I have not taken any position for or against anything there (here, wherever …).
Of course the phrase “Speed doesn’t kill - speeding does” was my ‘invention’, so don’t flame me for that.

Now to the question:

No it’s not right as I explained: Guns are made for killing people, car’s aren’t. That both can be the cause of death just relates in a wider sense, but guns have nothing to do with speed limits. Not to mention that the actual topic was something entirely different.
If you wish to turn this into a new topic please do so, but do it under you own name next time. :x

Yes I do agree with that statement as it is put here (if we also include ‘intentionally use’ and neglect that technically the bullet does cause death *), i.e the statement is not related to anything else, it’s out of context of the earlier discussion and looked at independently. Now care to explain what merit this ‘literal diversion’ and my answer to your question has?

*) If you meant that with ‘inappropiate use’ then it’s fine, no need to discuss semantics but I just want to be sure you don’t trick me here. Once the cat got burned it will be more cautious next time … (or however you translate that) :wink:

It alone might not be the only measure, but it could help to reduce the figures further (in the US).

Comparing the US to the countries might be flawed since other factors (which perhaps are more prominent in those countries than in the US) are the reason.
Compare the gun-related murders in the US to European countries and things might look different.

Rascal, I own five guns, none of which were designed or made for “killing people.”

Ok Sandman, what guns would that be?

So if ppl want to kill, they use whatever they can get.

However, the training we use in Denmark is 9 months in the army and forced storage of the machine guns in a safe way, so noone but the owner can access it when it’s able to shoot. (They get a box for the thing which keeps the bullet in the chamber), and they are only allowed to assemble and transport it, when there’s an A. War B. They go to practice.

Pure 2nd amendment spirit.

I find it reasonable to compare murder rated and compositions in the US with the ones in Europe, not Mexico. Unless you americans prefer to be compared with Mexico in other respects :slight_smile:

Rascal, relax. I merely split the posts from the other thread started by MT and thus you end up as being credited with starting the thread. Its not a big deal.

[quote=“Rascal”]I furthermore wish to point out that I didn’t involve myself into the part of the discussion which was about speed limits, I just stated facts to correct a statement made, it was not an opinion.
As such I have not taken any position for or against anything there (here, wherever …).
Of course the phrase “Speed doesn’t kill - speeding does” was my ‘invention’, so don’t flame me for that.[/quote]

That’s cool. And I thought your statement was interesting and it made me think of gun control arguments… so i commented… this is a discussion board.

I’m not trying to trick you… promise … :wink:

OK, Rascal… this is no flame.

You stated:

So, how about this:

Guns don’t kill - gunning does

Same thing, right?

OK… Speed doesn’t kill… so we allow it to exist.

So, because guns don’t kill, we allow them also to exist, right? Or do you think guns should be banned? If guns should be banned, should very low speed limits be enacted in Germany and strictly enforced?

Same as in your country Rascal, most, if not all, guns sold to the law-abiding public are sporting guns.
I have two 12-bore shotguns, an 8-bore shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .300 rifle. THe only illegal thing about them is that the .22 has a suppressor.

Like cars, they’re neither designed nor sold for killing people.