Gyms near DINGXI mrt station?

This area is devoid of small neighborhood parks. And I want to get into better shape. So, I’m looking for a gym.

Only requirements: some free weights, open floor space, & decent lighting (preferably not fluorescent tubes)

I’ve wandered around the area quite a lot and have notice no gyms whatsoever. So, any help is extremely appreciated!!!

You could try Formosa Fitness. It’s only one MRT station away. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … &start=120

You can take the subway to the gym near CKS memorial station.

easy, lucky sod:

take any bus over the bridge into Taipei. Get off at the first stop. Walk under 5 minutes and smile as you go into Formosa Fitness. Total travel time including waiting for a bus, under 10 minutes.

Alternatively, take the MRT to NanShiJiao and go hiking.

“take a bus” “take the subway …” There are no gyms here? I’ve come to realize this area is rotting and filled with old people and separated from the river by very long stretches of concrete wall, and I will absolutely not live here after February, but is there really no gym here?

Obviously I can use public transit to get to a place where there is a gym, but that’s not the point of my question. There seems to be almost nothing in this area of much value, so I can us public transit to escape this place for whatever given purpose. But I would value this area at least a little if I could find a small gym, with some young people who exercise there. Half thanks for the replies, but they’re missing the point of my post.

:s
I’m not sure I should bother replying, but will. Formosa Fitness is less than 1km away (excluding river) and is the best gym in Taipei. You are blessed. From your MRT to NanshiJiao is 5 minutes or so, and you’re close to great hiking. Probably if you ask the locals you could find a small gym, so get off this website and look around. Plus you have immediate access to the riverside paths for riding or walking.

BTW, you should stay in Dingxi area. Priced under $150, I can name the best beef noodle shop I’ve found in Taipei (and have visited over 20), the best pasta shop (well there’s another in Daji), the best Korean shop, the best SA pie shop, the best traditional cakes shop, the best TW style ice cream shop, the most popular Thai papaya salad stand, and the best chicken and sesame oil noodle shop. I often travel up there from Chungho to eat at the above restaurants. Plus this, although I’ve yet to visit: facebook.com/#!/thehammertw

Why bother coming to TW if you’re going to complain about life here, even when given reasonable alternatives? Open your eyes beyond the shit, and find things you like.

I’m not sure I should bother replying, but will. Formosa Fitness is less than 1km away (excluding river) and is the best gym in Taipei. You are blessed. From your MRT to NanshiJiao is 5 minutes or so, and you’re close to great hiking. Probably if you ask the locals you could find a small gym, so get off this website and look around. Plus you have immediate access to the riverside paths for riding or walking.

BTW, you should stay in Dingxi area. Priced under $150, I can name the best beef noodle shop I’ve found in Taipei (and have visited over 20), the best pasta shop (well there’s another in Daji), the best Korean shop, the best SA pie shop, the best traditional cakes shop, the best TW style ice cream shop, the most popular Thai papaya salad stand, and the best chicken and sesame oil noodle shop. I often travel up there from Zhonghe to eat at the above restaurants. Plus this, although I’ve yet to visit: facebook.com/#!/thehammertw

Why bother coming to TW if you’re going to complain about life here, even when given reasonable alternatives? Open your eyes beyond the shit, and find things you like.[/quote]
I could easily add to your list. There is a load of good prepared food here, no doubt. I’ve also yet to visit the Hammer, but the owner is from the US. California, I think, but I could be mistaken. The menu is somewhat diverse and not cheap (which could be a good sign that you’re getting a fair portion with good quality - I’m not sure)

About walking and hiking and such, there is a reason I want free weights and floor space. I am probably in better physical condition than 95% of the users here. I go hiking, I go running, I go climbing, etc. I went hiking (south of Zhonghe) and climbing on the day I made the original post. I want a gym for specific purposes. Mostly, some weight training, floor exercises, skipping rope, and being among other younger people.

Last, I don’t really understand your final statements. First, I am not complaining. I don’t enjoy living in the Dingxi area and will leave this area soon. That is not a complaint, it’s a simple personal expression and statement of a plan. Second, if I thought the Dingxi area represented Taiwan as a whole, of course I would never have come to Taiwan. But it doesn’t, and I never thought that way. You don’t know very much about my life, so before you interpret more than is reasonable from my statements here, try to acknowledge that.

ok, my last.

[quote=“gentletree”]I could easily add to your list. [/quote]…but you don’t. You just say some generic stuff. I’ve been here years and I am genuine in saying that those I mentioned are quality shops. I’m not just a neophyte, and I did wish you well by posting that. I didn’t post names because I guessed (rightly) it wouldn’t be appreciated.

1. I could have hiked you into the ground last year. Search my threads. Now, I’m carrying a small injury and am off my best/
  2. FF has all that, and he’s a friendly and professional guy. But if you need something else, do a search for gyms, there are a number of threads.

You’ve just started two other threads complaining about something. My whole post followed your statement that you would give everyone half-thanks. For me that’s a little inconsiderate-we all gave our time to help, even if you didn’t appreciate our thoughts.

Dingxi is a spot close to other better areas, and some people like it for the convenience. Of course it’s not perfect-it’s a thoroughfare type of place, but since you’re there (now) I encourage you to enjoy it more.

Further, I don’t think I’ve ever started a thread complaining about the environment here (despite it being poor in many respects). So, that’s why I encouraged you to buck up. That was meant out of goodwill, not judgement. Obviously that sentiment was misplaced, and I’ll take your advice and won’t do it again.

Yes, there is a gym in walking distance 15 minutes+ or a quick bus ride from Dingxi MRT.… get on bus 262 ( across the street from MRT by the 85 cafe) the bus will make a quick left 1 block after the MRT and get off when you see the Mr. Brown’s Coffee it’s huge, on the corner on left side looking out the window on the left side. About three stops down.

Or get off at the Elementary school bus stop… which is next stop. If you hear duhu road. You waited too long… you will just have to walk further back up the street you just came down.

zhongzheng rd.

Get off the bus… cross the street to the other side.

Walk like you are going back up the road you just came down… unfortunately I do not know the name of the cross street the gym is on… its a blue and white sign with an image of a body builder silhouette and it says gym in english. At every street corner you come across - walking back the way you just came on the bus… look across the street corner to the other side… you are about to cross and down the sidewalk eye level . If you dont see it… go down another block and do it again.
It’s not that far off the corner of every street… and it sounds difficult but it is not. I think the corner was a scooter repair shop. ( typical though)

Let Me warn you, I joined… and then I rarely went: Its a basement gym… and when I was there. I forgot to bother to look for mirrors on the walls. And This place had only a few. The gym was packed with people… they sold the hell out of memberships and the place is small. there are people who know what they are doing… and then there are completely clueless dangerous idiots running around swinging weights in a maniac fashion because you are a foreigner and they want to show how badly they can out lift you. Or the dude doing wrist curls in the 1 squat deck, the guy benching 10Kilos for 5000 reps… etc. I gave up after all that. There are some girls too up in there.

The staff was friendly, it was decently clean. You get access to three other gyms around town which is good. I didnt like it. I go to the one by CKS memorial hall and it costs only $50nt for an hour.

[quote=“gentletree”]This area is devoid of small neighborhood parks. And I want to get into better shape. So, I’m looking for a gym.

Only requirements: some free weights, open floor space, & decent lighting (preferably not fluorescent tubes)

I’ve wandered around the area quite a lot and have notice no gyms whatsoever. So, any help is extremely appreciated!!![/quote]

Dont knwo what you are talking about… there is a really nice park by the library. Get on 262… get off at duhu road… ( soon as you hear “Elementary school” on the bus… its the next stop.) walk the same direction the bus is going… till you hit the corner… turn right… walk a few blocks up slight hill… direct in front is the center of the park. Its crowded on the weekends. Great waffle store near by. Also there is night time running at allot of the tracks at the schools.

Have you ever spent time in Taipei City? You usually don’t need to take a bus to get to a small park. I’m talking, small park. There is nothing like that in Yonghe. I admit, I have found one small public area close to exit 1 of the station. But the entrance appeared to have been closed off with tape some time ago, and the tape had fallen down. I once sat on a bench there and read a book …

This evening I visited the riverside area. It is okay there for sure, but the walk is more of an adventure in pedestrian risk-taking than a pleasant experience.

I know of the park south of Dingxi. And I know of the (much closer to my home) park to the southwest (仁愛公園路外停車場). I like that park as well. But I would sure like to have some flat public space for skipping rope NEAR where I live. I usually don’t mind walking, but walking through this area is not enjoyable.

Still, I was looking for a gym … not a park.

This is really not that hard, OP. You’re making a huge deal out of a three second Google Translate & Maps search.

“gym” = 健身房

出力館健身中心 (Chu Li Guan Fitness Center)
永和路一段93號
No 93, Section 1, Yonghe Rd.

1 month: 2,000
3 month: 4,000
1 year: 8,000

sites.google.com/site/powerlifting7/contact-us

[quote=“greves”]This is really not that hard, OP. You’re making a huge deal out of a three second Google Translate & Maps search.

“gym” = 健身房

永和路一段93號

sites.google.com/site/powerlifting7/contact-us[/quote]
Actually… I made a fuss only because the information people were giving in first response and then demanded giving required using public transit or walking to get to some other area. If someone before had actually mentioned a gym near Dingxi station, I would have judged there must be a gym nearby, and I should check it out.

Nice to know that I could in fact have been more independent than I’d realized …

In the meantime, maybe I will forget the last several places I (independently) found in Taiwan google maps that no longer or never in fact actually existed.

[quote=“greves”]This is really not that hard, OP. You’re making a huge deal out of a three second Google Translate & Maps search.

“gym” = 健身房

永和路一段93號

sites.google.com/site/powerlifting7/contact-us[/quote]
I can verify that this place does exist. I work about 100 meters from it. However, I’ve not visited the gym before, and it does look a little small from the outside. It’s worth a look if you’re interested, though.

[quote=“scomargo”]
I can verify that this place does exist. I work about 100 meters from it. However, I’ve not visited the gym before, and it does look a little small from the outside. It’s worth a look if you’re interested, though.[/quote]
Cool, thanks. I’ll check the place out and see if they offer a day or hour pass.

Thanks to CfImages and Kea for recommending us!

[quote=“gentletree”]This area is devoid of small neighborhood parks. And I want to get into better shape. So, I’m looking for a gym.

I’ve wandered around the area quite a lot and have notice no gyms whatsoever. So, any help is extremely appreciated!!![/quote]

If that’s what you’re looking for, you should at least stop by and check us out. We really are just across the bridge from you and we pull people from as far away as LinKou, TienMu, NeiHu and Keelung. I’m not kidding. Our day pass is NT300 if anyone wants to try it out. We have three power racks, dumbbells up to 110lbs. prowler weight sleds, the biggest trap bar in Taiwan, and a whole bunch of other stuff you won’t find anywhere else in Taiwan. I imported most of it.

As for parks, as downtownAndrew mentioned, the riverside park is pretty nice. I used to live near Dinxi Station when i first arrived in Taiwan now 13 years ago and I got in killer shape running and jumping rope along the riverside. Back then I did my lifting at the gym in Youth Park before it went upscale. The gym downtownAndrew mentioned is Taipei Gym, YungHo branch BTW.

There’s also a bad gym in the Sogo next to the Museum of World Religions on like the 7th floor or something. For lifting they’re not so good but they do have a smith machine and a set of dumbbells. I used to do circuit training there by riding the bike for 1:00 then doing dumbells squats etc. for 30:00 while I watched old people spit in the pool. Thanks for brining back the memories.

[quote=“gentletree”][quote=“scomargo”]
I can verify that this place does exist. I work about 100 meters from it. However, I’ve not visited the gym before, and it does look a little small from the outside. It’s worth a look if you’re interested, though.[/quote]
Cool, thanks. I’ll check the place out and see if they offer a day or hour pass.[/quote]

I will save you some time - do NOT go there. The graphic they are using is not at all what the place looks like. It’s up a flight of stairs that will get you excited from posters of internationally known monster size pro weight lifting athletes.

The “gym” place is virtually the size of a stinky closet. The gym photo is deceptive because of the mirror image. It really is a row of about 5 standard machines, a pile of free weights, two bench presses.I think they did have a squat deck but it was behind a pile of cardboard boxes. There is a excellent dance studio on the second floor though.

It was dirty, the person working there was non-responsive and really did not want to help a foreigner. When I feigned interest when he gave me a ridiculous annual price for such a shithole. Unless you are really desperate for a place and it MUST be in Dingxi. I think you should consider just doing bodyweight workouts till your living situation improves.

Next time do some more research into where you will be living. :roflmao:

[quote=“downtownandrew”]
Next time do some more research into where you will be living. :roflmao:[/quote]
Yeah … Enjoy your downtown, Andrew, don’t you?

In moving here I trusted the recommendation of a cute young product designer I’d known who grew up in Yonghe. And I thought to myself, ‘It’s just across the river from Guting area’ . . . The second consideration seemed valid, but in reality, actually getting to the bridge from the address is incredibly noisy, dangerous chaos if you dare to walk or ride a bike.

Moving in a month, deal closed.

I’ll check out FF sometime soon.

lack of parks? You haven’t seen the other big park with the library? just exit out of Yongan Market (MRT). turn right, turn right again… walk directly towards the library… behind and all around there is the park.
Btw, that park does have body weight gym equipment outside in full working order. People are there 24/7 with lights at night too.

World Gym is open right across the street from Dingxi Station… loud top40 shit music, and all. Enjoy I guess.