H1N1 in Taiwan

Here’s a good selection:

C-String might work just as well:

Interesting, nice to see some logic on the other side of the debate. If the masks help, even a little bit, then I’m all for it.

Keeping fingers out of eyes also helps. I always tell students not to put their fingers in, on, or around their eyes. Fingers are some great germ spreaders and the eyes are an easy entrance into the body.

Another common item that can spread nasties is money. The term ‘dirty money’ is true in more than one way. I’m not sure how long the virus can live on money, but washing hands after dealing with money is always a good idea. I wish vendors/restaurants understood this, they often have no awareness of handling both food and money with their hands.

Anyways, the dreaded H1N1 is still not even close to reaching the numbers of infections and deaths from the standard, no name, seasonal flu. It just has a much better marketing, hype and scare campaign.

We’re supposed to take our temperatures at home twice per day and write them down, presumably for someone to look at. No one is bothering. If necessary, I’ll fill the form out after the fact.

We got a handout entitled “The Notice of Preventing N1H1 (The new influenza) for the School Staffs”. I don’t know if it’s an official document (I’m guessing not since on one page there’s a recycled word search). Anyway, on one page it says:

“Maintain personal health: Keep a balanced diet and maintain adequate exercise.”

Yeah right. How many people in Taiwan maintain adequate exercise, and do deep-fried chicken scrota at a street stall count as a balanced diet?

They start taking temperature readings in the mornings at the company but not when we are leaving. I ride bike to work as much as possible (61km total) and everyone look at me like crazy going all that distance on bicycle. It takes the same time as car and a little slower than scooter.

The headline in the China Post, ANOTHER CHILD GONE, is about the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. Whoever is in charge of that paper should have his or her head stuck in a blender.

100% concur…fucking idiots. :fume:

My friend here has two little kids and a baby and she is not very sure about taking them be vaccinated. According to her, the vaccine contains mercury, so she is going to wait a while to see if it is really safe before taking her kids for vaccination.

…plus we all know what happened in the States when they tested the vaccine 20 years ago -meaning more died from the vaccine than of the flu…

I’ll take the normal flu shot and that’s about it.

Back home, they are still in the testing phase -clinical trials- of the vaccine development, with hundreds of volunteers as lab rats. From what I see and hear in the local press, the aftereffects are “minimal”, just the usual: muscle pains, headaches, etc. so far.

The WHO still warns that vaccination should be monitored closely, as clinical trials have been sped up or suspended.

[quote]Meanwhile, China official Xinhua News Agency said a woman initially reported to be country’s first swine flu death was :ohreally: actually accidentally electrocuted :ohreally: while taking a shower in a hospital[/quote] (China Post July 3)

:ponder: Well, I better shut up…

United Daily news 08/25

[quote]Experts weighed in on the issue of the influenza A (H1N1) virus’s growing resistance to Tamiflu after the Department of Health’s Centers for Disease Control reported two more such flu fatalities Aug. 24, including a patient who was treated with the antiviral drug.
CDC officials are probing whether the death of the patient who was administered Tamiflu was the result of the flu virus’s possible resistance to the drug.[/quote]

Nothing reported further…

Vaccination is an evil cult. A perfectly healthy child or adult has no need of being vaccinated for H1N1. Why lower one’s immune system needlessly? Far better to have exposure to any flu-like ‘disease’ to build up one’s natural immunity.
Farg the media fear-mongering frenzy!

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote]Meanwhile, China official Xinhua News Agency said a woman initially reported to be country’s first swine flu death was :ohreally: actually accidentally electrocuted :ohreally: while taking a shower in a hospital[/quote] (China Post July 3)

:ponder: Well, I better shut up…

United Daily news 08/25

[quote]Experts weighed in on the issue of the influenza A (H1N1) virus’s growing resistance to Tamiflu after the Department of Health’s Centers for Disease Control reported two more such flu fatalities Aug. 24, including a patient who was treated with the antiviral drug.
CDC officials are probing whether the death of the patient who was administered Tamiflu was the result of the flu virus’s possible resistance to the drug.[/quote]

Nothing reported further…[/quote]

But, but, China just approved their vaccine -Sinovac- for mass use. :eh:

And according to the news, the WHO congratulated them for such promptness.

Did WHO approve the drug made in China? I hope we (living here in Asia) don’t end up being the guinea pigs for the test trials.

Friday noon sore throats , slight pain in legs & muscles. Went home and tayed in bed all afternoon. Slight fever.
Saturday morning- feel like a wreck even after 12 hrs of deep sleep - dizzy, sore throat became less, slight dry caughing - & slight fever in the afternoon.
Stayed in bed almost all day - went out for a diner in Sogo - got the ice cold chills as never before.
Now sitting in front of PC doing some symptons research.

I am sure it has nothing to do with H1N1, but probably 75% of the population is now directly thinking the worst.
Well, if it does not improve , i’ll get a check-up tomorrow.
If something wrong, you’ll see me on TV :whistle:

Ceevee369, those are some serious flu symptoms you’re describing. Get your sorry butt to the doctor!

[quote=“ceevee369”]Friday noon sore throats , slight pain in legs & muscles. Went home and tayed in bed all afternoon. Slight fever.
Saturday morning- feel like a wreck even after 12 hrs of deep sleep - dizzy, sore throat became less, slight dry caughing - & slight fever in the afternoon.
Stayed in bed almost all day - went out for a diner in Sogo - got the ice cold chills as never before.
Now sitting in front of PC doing some symptons research.

I am sure it has nothing to do with H1N1, but probably 75% of the population is now directly thinking the worst.
Well, if it does not improve , I’ll get a check-up tomorrow.
If something wrong, you’ll see me on TV :whistle:[/quote]

Hope you feel better soon.

hope u not got the swineflu ceevee. get ur self to a doc and get that thing handled…good luck… man that swine flu thingy can be pretty scary i guess cuz its similar to the spanish flu

Guess I’ll need to go for a check this afternoon in Taida hospital. Fever went to 38.3 last night and does not drop.
Just scared they gonna keep me - just in case - even if confirmed it is a simple flue

[quote=“ceevee369”]Guess I’ll need to go for a check this afternoon in Tai-Da hospital. Fever went to 38.3 last night and does not drop.
Just scared they gonna keep me - just in case - even if confirmed it is a simple flue[/quote]

If they keep you, you’ll be surrounded by pretty nurses, so it won’t be all bad. :wink:
Hope you’re well soon, mate!

The pretty ones are always the worst at taking blood though. They have to stab you like 4 times to get it.

61km one way during rush hour?!
Your lungs must be nicely covered of exhaust fumes by now, surely you can’t get infected by the lungs :slight_smile:
Personally I always arrive late so I don’t really know if they check at my company. :sunglasses:
I got like three mails last week from our human resources with several warnings on H1N1.
I got a SMS from some government hospital thing on it yesterday.
Usually it says “wash your hands, don’t put your hands in your mouth or eyes.”
Looks like we’re getting closer to another SARS-alike “hype”.

About the number of cases reported Japan has the highest… why? Cause they check more :slight_smile:

Oh, and yes, the masks are worth nothing as you can get infected by the eyes.
Only if you are “infected” it could be a benefit (to others) I think…
So time to wear protective glasses too.

Time to go to school