H7N9, here and now

UDN reports that as of Wednesday night, Taiwan has a confirmed case of H7N9 “avian” flu. The 53-year-old patient came back from Jiangsu Province and says he had no contact with poultry, and for some reason tells us he has hepatitis B and high blood-pressure, which seems kind of irrelevant. He’s been back since 4/9 and has had contact with over 100 people before and after entering the hospital. (That includes “intimate contact” with 3 people… way to go?)

His symptoms include fever, night sweats, and exhaustion. They did not say what hospital he is in.

Health authorities kindly remind you to wash your hands thoroughly and don those face masks, stay away from birds and poultry (including traditional markets with live poultry), and don’t eat raw bird meat or eggs.

Report in Chinese
udn.com/NEWS/NATIONAL/NATS3/7853064.shtml

Very brief RTI report in English
english.rti.org.tw/newsinfo.aspx … 27644BA27F

Stay healthy and remember: Don’t panic.

Eh. If a disease does not have “face eating” or “d**k maiming” in its name it’s not worth being scared of.

That’s ummm debatable. H7N9 looks pretty nasty in fact. Influenza shouldn’t be taken too lightly.

So far there is no need to panic, it doesn’t seem easily transmissible between humans. It’s also going into summer now so that should help.

they dont’ know where exaclty is it from, no cure for it, once u get it it’s a death sentence! doesn’t sound good

1. is true
  2. is not completely true, for the preliminary gene sequencing shows vulnerability to Tamiflu at least.
  3. Not true. Though mortality is high (21%) it is far away from a death sentence, especially for young adults.

As of now there is no evidence of human to human transmission. Don’t panic, wash your hand before putting them in your mouth/nose and avoid poultry markets. That’s all.

It is relevant because it helps painting a picture of the infected so far and, God forbid, if this guy does not make it, it might be because of his age, previous health condition and so on.

I’m keeping an eye on this but I’m not overly concerned yet. It is too early to say whether it is going to be a real problem or not.

I’m betting that he did, in fact, have carnal knowledge of at least three chickens. He just calls them ‘people’ because he knows that admitting to intimate relationships with poultry makes one unpopular at work.

Eh. If a disease does not have “face eating” or “d**k maiming” in its name it’s not worth being scared of.[/quote]

Where’s your sense of Italian fatalism?

I think I’m washing my hands after almost every class now. We have also had several students miss a week of school recently with normal colds though.

Eh. If a disease does not have “face eating” or “d**k maiming” in its name it’s not worth being scared of.[/quote]

Where’s your sense of Italian fatalism?[/quote]

Since when does fatalism mean “being scared”? :slight_smile:

If it’s going to hit hard, it’s going to hit hard. There are useful things one can do, but panicking it’s not among them. I actually say this being a little hypocondriac myself.

I agree. Realistically, there’s not much you can do except take basic precautions. As someone mentioned back there, there seems to be little if any evidence of human-to-human transmission, so it’s unlikely to evolve into a major epidemic … unless, of course, the virus mutates enough to make human-to-human transmission more likely (cue scary music).

One good thing that’s come out of this whole sorry mess is that officials are (belatedly) looking at the disgraceful conditions in which meat animals are kept.

Look on the bright side…with any luck they’ll ban Mainland tourists…so I can shop in 101 without having to mix with the peasants :sunglasses:

“I did not have sexual relations with that chicken.”

Wife said there is a fatality already. Young kid aged around 4 it seems. Odd enough I can’t find any link. Invented by the media?
Or should I keep the other half away either from the Booz or they neighbors … :ponder:

[quote=“ceevee369”]Wife said there is a fatality already. Young kid aged around 4 it seems. Odd enough I can’t find any link. Invented by the media?
Or should I keep the other half away either from the Booz or they neighbors … :ponder:[/quote]

Can’t find any confirmation. Where did she hear it from??

forbes.com/sites/russellflan … -flu-case/

But it doesn’t appear he died, just contracted it.

Possible she confused it with the above, but the TW media does seems to " know" ( read : speculate / dramatize) that the guy in the hospital is going downhill.

Prediction that prices of masks will go uphill when stocks are low?

[quote=“ceevee369”]Possible she confused it with the above, but the TW media does seems to " know" ( read : speculate / dramatize) that the guy in the hospital is going downhill.

Prediction that prices of masks will go uphill when stocks are low?[/quote]

Additional prediction that they’ll start having a score box for deaths and reported cases on the front pages just to scare everyone silly.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“ceevee369”]Possible she confused it with the above, but the TW media does seems to " know" ( read : speculate / dramatize) that the guy in the hospital is going downhill.

Prediction that prices of masks will go uphill when stocks are low?[/quote]

Additional prediction that they’ll start having a score box for deaths and reported cases on the front pages just to scare everyone silly.[/quote]
Scary stuff if it mutates. Bear your Avatar looks like it’s too late for you…he he.