Ha! ... So much for the global warming theory

[quote=“bob”]Ahh the great philosphical perspective on things…

In millions of years of eath’s history we have seen vast changes blah blah blah…[/quote]

Evidential.

Of course mankind has had negative impacts on the earth - but in the case of global warming, it was already happening.

However, bob has outlined the selfishness of man in his writing -

…Look, we (at least some of us) are interested in a least maintaining this earth long enough to see our grandchildren enjoy a little of the natural world that we inherited. Perhaps some of us think a few more generations down the road.”

All we are interested in is preserving things for ourselves. We are so arrogant as to persume that we inherited the earth and the earth is ours to use as we please. The earth will take the course it pleases and what we are doing to the earth now is miniscule compared to past and future events the earth has and will witness.

Interesting, but how about the peaks recorded during times of asteroid impact and major volcanic eruptions? These peaks (which you did not mention) have been found in in ice core samples and are recorded as being far above the 350ppm standard of today. Whatever happens, the earth has always re-stabilised itself.

If hoping that future generations inherit a healthy planet makes me “selfish” I’ll accept the title gladly.

Bizarre to see this line used “against” environmentalists. Usually it’s environmentalists who use it, quite rightly, when arguing against yet another freeway.

And for yet more on the grand philosophical approach, which serves mainly to highlight the vacuousness of any ethical judgement not based on simple human compassion…

Blah, blah, blah, this is how the world will go out. In a string of bullshit.

[quote]Here Comes Lunar Power
It’s not on Bush’s alternative-energy agenda yet, but moon-driven tides, ocean currents, and waves generate more oomph than wind and are more consistent than solar.

Slide Show >>
A drama is unfolding in New York City’s East River. This summer the Popsicles at a Gristedes supermarket on Roosevelt Island, midstream between Manhattan and Queens, will be kept icy by power generated just a stone’s throw from the riverbank. Anchored 30 feet down, six underwater turbines will turn day and night, driven by the tidal flows in the channel. At a fish-friendly 35 rpm, the propellers will crank out up to 200 kilowatts of clean power, or roughly half the peak needs of the supermarket.[/quote]

COOL!

businessweek.com/magazine/co … 974056.htm

You are one patient man. :notworthy:

Yeah, sod you too. You see bob, I’m just trying to find a counter argument. If you think it’s bullshit, that’s up to you. I don’t necessarilly endorse my counter argument 100%

What is right, though, is that the earth and nature has gone through far more than we could ever throw at it, which is what you seem to be disagreeing with. Even if we are causing a greenhouse effect and we don’t survive , nature will still live on, but in different forms.
Nature always strives for a blanace which is why we have wind, waves and eathquakes and will always pull through, and always has done.