Hair loss - AHHHHHHHH!

It has begun, stress, long hours, genetics, have all conspired a nasty trick on me, receeding hairline and thining hair.

I have always had a high hairline but now I can see where it’s starting to thin out, at the front, around the temples, and a little on top.

After doing a little reading I found Pregaine, Regaine, and Rogaine. Anyone know about these products, perhaps from personal experience?

Cost, and effectiveness are key.

If I were at home in NZ I wouldn’t care too much about hair loss, but in Taiwan aging doesn’t help job prospects very much. Sure, I have a school but even so I am aware of just how shallow the customers can be and they like 'em young or at least young looking.

So people DO grow to look like their avatars!

Bassman: That very same genetic make-up

Nobody in my family loses their hair, though most of us recede a bit. About ten years ago, I had a period of intense work stress, and I found myself going bald, fast. I had a bald spot on top and some serious receding in the front.

Nowadays, I’ve recovered quite a bit. I don’t have the simian-like hairline that I had when I was a kid, and I look a bit thin on top when my hair is wet, but I’m holding strong. The bald spot has filled in, and the front of my hairline has not moved back anymore. The hair on top of my head has thickened back up quite a bit.

You can try using Propecia. I did for a while, but nothing changed must, so I just cut it out and nothing changed.

The best advice is to get enough sleep, eat healthy, work out, which should help halt the hair loss a bit, and per magnolia’s suggestion, keep your hair cut very short. It’ll make what you’ve got look fuller. After that, don’t worry about it.

To a certain extent we all lose our looks over time. If you stay healthy, fit, and confident, I don’t think anyone cares much about your hairline. Think about Bruce Willis, Ed Harris, or Nick Cage. A group of baldies who have tremendous magnetism. Charisma is mostly about your attitude. Don’t buy into the physical perfection bullshit.

I love my hair and having it starting to go has always been my biggest fear.

Bassman, how does it really look though, is it when your hair gets long that other people start to notice. Some good points here about cutting your hair short, it helps.

Last time I saw you I can’t say that I noticed at all, but then I wasn’t really looking too hard.

Get some rest though, I think you need it.

Hey Bassman,

Just gettin’ old…you should be more concerned about still being able to perform your “husbandly duties”. :laughing:

Thanks ke, I will be taking a much needed vacation soon. Maybe the hair will begin a comeback then.

It’s hard to face though, when I was younger I’d always get called a Ken doll because of my perfect hair, never a strand out of place and in perfect shape. This all changed when I came to Taiwan.

I think I’ll try whatever I can get my hands on.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Hey Bassman,

Just gettin’ old…you should be more concerned about still being able to perform your “husbandly duties”. :laughing:[/quote]

When I get some time I’ll get on to that :wink:
I haven’t taken the trash out for a while :laughing:

Magnolia–are you sure your friend isn’t taking Propecia? Is there really a Regaine pill?

Unlike Tomas, I have had great results with Propecia. Propecia is $$$ though. My pharmacist taught me that Proscar (the prostrate medicine that led to Propecia) is the same as Propecia and costs a lot less. Just get a pill chopper and chop it into fourths. It is the same dosage as one Propecia pill. Check with your pharmacist and/or doctor, though.

Another tip to add to Magnolia’s fine advice–watch out for bleaches and hair dyes if you think you are losing your hair. I foolishly decided to bleach my hair once, which I am sure led to the worsening of my hair loss condition.

Make the most of the experience and shave it all off. A whole new image, and bald young men are oh so sexy. :sunglasses:

when i first got here and it was rainy season, strangers would look at me oddly because i didnt protect my hair from the rain. Huh?

they said it’s acid rain here and will contribute to hair loss?

Is this for real? (not that i’m worried, i get too much hair from my mother’s side. grows like a wild bush.)

Propeca $$$$ - How much?

Does it really cause the little man to go limp?

I have a fairly healthy appetite, maybe I will be ok. Ya think?

[quote=“Kenny McCormick”]when i first got here and it was rainy season, strangers would look at me oddly because i didnt protect my hair from the rain. Huh?

they said it’s acid rain here and will contribute to hair loss?

Is this for real? (not that I’m worried, I get too much hair from my mother’s side. grows like a wild bush.)[/quote]

This is true. I’ve read news reports here that say the rain here has the same acidic concentration as lemon juice.

[quote=“Bassman”]Propeca $$$$ - How much?

Here I’ve seen it for around NT$3,000 a month. If you buy Proscar it is about NT$2,800 for about four months. You’ll notice Proscar and Propecia are one and the same (finasteride), only different dosages. Typical rip off marketing. [/quote]

[quote=“Bassman”]
Does it really cause the little man to go limp?[/quote]

From Propecia.com:
A small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects. These men reported one or more of the following: less desire for sex; difficulty in achieving an erection; and, a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men. These side effects went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA. They also disappeared in most men who continued taking PROPECIA.

The big concern, and what my doctor told me, is to keep it away from women as it can cause birth defects if women take it. Make sure you talk to a doctor or pharmacist.

Maybe you should do a deal with Wolf Reinhold and get him to give you his beard, everyone’s a winner !

Let me expand on the eating healthy part. In Taiwan, MSG is the bane of hair loss. So tell the cook to hold the MSG.

If it’s a wig you’re after, I recommend mom’s below. As you can see, there is ample room underneath to store your money or other treasured belongings.

I have a friend who shaves his head. He tells people “I took a pre-emptive strike against my follicles” and “I left my hair before it left me.” Funny chap, that.

As for Propecia’s side effects, I experienced absolutely no side-effects of any kind, after taking the little pills for six months or so. Sort of like smoking menthols–the local guys scream and run when I pull them out, shouting “daoyang! daoyang!” (meaning it affects your manhood), but I’ve never had a problem.

What’s the name of that guy from ICRT who wears a toupe? It’s hilarious. He does a learn English through the news segment on an English news program.
He has a slow droning nasal twang to his voice and is about as charismatic as a lump of stewed taro. The wig has to be seen to be believed.
I mean. come on, if you’re going to get a wig (I don’t imagine for a minute that Bass is considering getting one), then be prepared to fork out more than 250 NT for a decent one!

Jeffery Mindesh? IF you like his exciting news broadcasts, you may enjoy his book of essays–Totally Jeffery!