Hair Loss - due to surgery or hereditary baldness?

Hello all,

Previously I’ve always had a head full of thick hair. My dad, however, is completely bald. About 2-3 months ago, i underwent a surgical procedure that knocked my out for a couple weeks. Simply procedure but lots of bleeding and trauma (tonsillectomy).

Just recently, I’ve noticed (as well as my stylist) significant hair loss around the top of the head. Although my hairline has not receded, I am afraid that I am going bald since I am 30 years old, prime age for balding. I had always thought I would be safe from my dads gene until now. The surprising thing is that it happend so fast, all within a month or so.

Now, I read that it is possible to lose hair 2-3 months after a surgery, if that’s the case, then the hair will just grow back and you’re fine. However, I am also suspecting hereditary baldness as well.

Which one do you guys think it is? Is there anyway to find out other than just keep waiting to see if it grows back? If it is hereditary baldness, what can i do to prevent it or improve it? I heard rogain/propercia have serious side effects, so I don’t really want to try those.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I once went through a spat where my hair fell out at an accelerated rate. I went to a dermatologist at a local hospital and he gave me a blood test, to measure for inconsistencies. He also did a scalp inspection, and his result was that I was suffering normal male pattern baldness. Since that spat of loss however, my head seems to have maintained the same amount of hair. I have compared my situation to others in my family, and it seems I am most like those on my mother’s side. I am not bald, but I now have a higher fringe line. I was worried at the time as I was still in my twenties and thought it unnatural, but now I’m in my thirties, I’m not particularly bothered. I look my age and that’s fine.
I was worried enough at the time to find out information regarding hair replacement, and it seems to boil down to either an operation in which the roots and hair from the side and back of the head are transplanted onto the top, where they will always remain and keep growing, or taking pills, which stimulate the rejuvenation of hair follicles and roots.

After a brief bit of research and thinking as well as trying the pills, I decided to give them up. This also had something to do with me being older and easier to accept, but if I do ever need to do anything about it and after visiting a clinic which specializes in root transplants, it seems that is the best way to go.
Root transplants have improved significantly over the years, and there are no obvious signs of a root transplant any more. Previously they left clumps of hair which were obvious, but now they use a different method. It’s worth looking into if you are concerned about your appearance.
Edit: They also had a system call QHR or something similar which through a blunt looking bulbous electrode, stimulates hair growth without the need for surgery.

Visit: drweng.com.tw/
This doctor was recommended by a few people I asked about this and is from Chung Shan hospital, near Ren Ai traffic circle.

No 12, lane 112, sec 4, Ren Ai road, Taipei

They offered me a brochure and a video disk to explain the procedure and results.

cool thanks…did you have personal experience with any of the methods?

and to others, anyone ever had surgery, lost hair, and then have hair grow back after a few months?

I haven’t received treatment in any way other than taking pills for about a year before giving them up. The pills didn’t make much difference as far as I noticed, so I decided not to bother. I reckon the transplant is the only sure fired way of your hair staying on your head if you need it that way.
You may try asking your friends how they think you look though. I think many people don’t realise how indifferent they are in the way of their hair to others. Some people actually look better. I’m thinking of a Scotsman who lives on a hill in HsinDian to be not too specific :wink:
My dad has had a bald head for as long as I can remember. I may object to him ever having a hair transplant if he ever wanted one.
I think the initial shock of loosing hair at an accelerated rate is a stress and it was for me, but as the first doctor I saw described, I would be more likely to loose even more if I maintained a stressed attitude towards it. Stress and high testosterone are key in the reasons for hair loss, so trying not to care too much about your hair may indeed help to restore some of it.
Experiment with a different haircut, to try and make the most out of your situation. If I’ve seen any really ugly men it must be the ones that have either grown the combover, or those that simply kept with the same haircut they had before their hair fell out. Try trimming it short, pr perhaps grow some facial hair to highlight the face. Go to Eddie at readyeddiego.com/ for some advice if you are in Taipei.
Whatever you do though, don’t freak out. It’s difficult advice to take I know, but you are worth a lot more than your hair alone, and it doesn’t make you who you are as long as you don’t let it decrease your sense of confidence.
And if you didn’t already know, women don’t care about your hair if it makes any difference. They only care that you make the most of presenting yourself as well as confidence. Bald or hairy, it makes no difference.
I even manage getting modeling jobs with my receding hairline, and there are plenty of bald models in the world too.

thanks for the encouragement…

Doesn’t baldness come from Mom, not Dad?

What’s wrong with hair loss?

Root Detachment Syndrome, I guess.

Yeah, baldness is x-linked, so you got it from your mom’s side.

Why not head down to the local watson’s and pick up some minoxidil? Though I’ve never tried it, it seems to get good results with the bodybuilding (read: steroid using) people who have to deal with androgen imbalances and systemic stress (kindof like your surgery). I’d sure try that before transplants.

[quote=“sulavaca”]You may try asking your friends how they think you look though. I think many people don’t realise how indifferent they are in the way of their hair to others. Some people actually look better.[/quote]My baldness certainly doesn’t bother me. I rarely think about it. In a way it would be nicer to have more hair just so I could have a choice of hairstyle. But there’s no way I’d actually spend money on it.

The plus side is that I use less shampoo; the downside is that I need to use more suncream.

I used to lose my hair. I’d put it somewhere and then go to get it only to have forgotten where it was that I put it.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“sulavaca”]You may try asking your friends how they think you look though. I think many people don’t realise how indifferent they are in the way of their hair to others. Some people actually look better.[/quote]My baldness certainly doesn’t bother me. I rarely think about it. In a way it would be nicer to have more hair just so I could have a choice of hairstyle. But there’s no way I’d actually spend money on it.

The plus side is that I use less shampoo; the downside is that I need to use more suncream.[/quote]
Get thee to crabtree&evelyn and pick up some male product joe. I know for a fact they will apply some for effect during the sales pitch. Hot babe rubbing lotion into your skull sound good?

Black shoe polish does the trick … oops, that’s only good when you are Taiwanese and have black hair … seriously, I have seen people use this to cover up thinning hair on the head …

[quote=“Surly”]Get thee to crabtree&evelyn and pick up some male product joe.[/quote]What does it do? If it can get me a full head of hair for a couple of thousand NT all told, I’ll consider it. Otherwise I’ll stick to my daily polishing routine. :wink:

I doubt it would do that for you. But it would certainly protect the dome from the sun and possibly cut down on the glare. And hello, hot girl rubbing lotion on your head.

I doubt it would do that for you. But it would certainly protect the dome from the sun and possibly cut down on the glare.[/quote]The glare for others from my shiny bonce, you mean? I guess there is that. Could be a traffic hazard or something.

[quote=“Surly”]And hello, hot girl rubbing lotion on your head.[/quote]I’m an Englishman, don’t you know.

I might try this male product stuff though. Is that what it’s actually called? Or has it got an official name like “scalp lotion” or something?

Right. Well you could pay her if you like.

I’ve heard of women rubbing male product into their faces – the protein’s supposed to be good for the skin or something.

It makes the boobs grow, too.

Male pattern baldness is inherited from your mother. If, as a parent, you want to know what the hair style of your youngun is, simply look at your child’s maternal grandfather. Very similar. And Damned beutiful, if I might add.