Hair straightening process

Any ladies out there, specially black women in taiwan who have tried that Japanese straightening process? I am wondering what results you have had with it and if it’s safe for black hair…thanks

Hmmm, let me try to give you a good answer:

I’m an 1/2 Indian; 1/8 Black; 3/8 Everything Else under the sun, so I have curly hair that frizzes like crazy, especially in the summer! It’s curly hair, but not ‘black’ hair.

I got it done in the middle of November (mostly out of desperation) and I have loved it! It’s not completely straight, so I have a tiny bit of wave, but 98% of the frizz is gone and I can wear it without that stupid ‘helmet head’ from driving a scooter. It feels very silky and I don’t have to tie my hair back anymore into a braid, ponytail, etc.

Also, one of my friends went ahead with it, and she has ‘black’ hair. She has had it for about 3 weeks now and she loves it! It looks really great and very straight.

Go to:

verticalsinhair.com/index.html

for more information. This was pretty comprehensive for me. Also, read the notes on the website if you have used lye in your hair!

I paid about $3000NT in NeiHu.

Hope this helps!

Id.

My sister has had this done in Korea. We are half black and half white, and the result was amazing in her hair. Basically, her hair is now the same texture as any asian persons (bone straight). She is also more prone to breakage, as is the case with any chemical hair process. She has to get her roots redone every 2 or 3 months, or it starts to look a bit funny, so keep that extra cost and image in mind.

I too have been interested in this “Japan Straight” process. My only worry is that if I don’t like it, I’m stuck with it until my natural hair grows out again (imagine afro roots, and straight ends on the same head!). Anyone know where this is available in Taichung?

Since your post, have you had this process done?

Interesting. I broke down and did a chemical relaxer in my hair back in December after spending a year and a half of only natural growth from where I cut my braids out (myself…no mirror…just grabbed anything that felt straight and snipped it off). I am getting to a point where I need to do a touch-up, but I was not enthusiastic about using a chemical in the first place, let alone heat. Is this available in Taipei? Any contact numbers? My natural hair isn’t frizzy, but it can certainly use all the help it can get for a silky texture.

Thanks Id for information and website. Do you have the name of this treatment in CHinese? What is the name and address of the saloon in NeiHu?

Your going to get your hair done at a saloon? :slight_smile:

Well, guess what I did today? I was gandering thru the threads this AM, wondering what to make of the day and after finding this little treasure, I decided to have my hair straightened. You see, this quote: “Any ladies out there, specially black women in Taiwan” kinda irked me…I am as Caucasian as it gets (Gaelic/Norman blood) but have the damdest curly hair. Now that it’s getting long, I am starting to resemble a young George Washington (at least that’s what ‘the dubious news source’ calls me) and I am as much a “lady” as Loretta is.

I enjoy a good saloon as much as a good salon. So I headed to XiMenDing this aft and had it done (At the latter TMTM).

As someone else quoted: “Bone-straight”.

It is a wild feeling ladies. 40+ years of brillo-hair and now the locals confuse me for one of their own.

And my head doesn’t smell all chemicalish nor is it brittle and breakable. Quite the contrary, soft and supple, or so says the DNS.

So I look forward to a whole new kind of “helmet head” Monday morn. At least it won’t be the wings of yore no more.

Get to it girls: See Simon at 臺北市成都路54號2 樓 (Sun Young Salon, XiMenDing, Chen Doo Road, #54, 2nd Floor. number is 2382-0588.

I paid 1600 for the process and 300 for the hair protection treatment.

The Metrosexual Gumper

Don’t know why it irked ya Gumper. But FYI, black women’s hair is structured differently from Caucasian hair, and will respond differently to chemical treatments. I am sure this why the poster placed it that way. From what I hear, this type of straightening won’t work on African american hair because it may not be strong enough to straighten it…

It most certainly is. No offense, Gumper, but I doubt your hair grows as flat as mine does and comes out as tiny spirals with a diameter of only a few millimeters across. It takes a special kind of straightener to deal with those conditions.

I did a chemical touch-up and am not impressed. Especially with the breakage. What if I did a touch-up with the Japanese treatment? Could it work on my roots?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]It most certainly is. No offense, Gumper, but I doubt your hair grows as flat as mine does and comes out as tiny spirals with a diameter of only a few millimeters across. It takes a special kind of straightener to deal with those conditions.

I did a chemical touch-up and am not impressed. Especially with the breakage. What if I did a touch-up with the Japanese treatment? Could it work on my roots?[/quote]
if you did the roots you would have to do them every two months, and it’s not guarenteed that the japanese stuff will do the job…As for the breakage, try the deep conditions here with a heat cap, once a week. It’s helped me

Ladies, I sincerely apologize. Please try to remember that when reading my posts, you need a sarcasm meter. I think Richardm has an old one. Maybe I’ll borrow it. Please read my last post as my ham-fisted, macho-ier than Jethro, completely yangish way of barging into the girls club.

I am totally sure you’s hair and mine hair can’t compete.

But for the first time in my life, I have straight hair. It’s farkin’ hilarious to see myself shave. Who is that rock star in the mirror?

I was just sharing. Isn’t that what really makes us metro?

Here are the results:

Before:

After:

Holy shit, Gumper! I think I saw that first picture on Cops. Is that a police cruiser you’re lying on?