Hairstylist looking for work

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are coming to Taipei in August and I want to work while he studies at Shi-da. Has anyone had experience working in a Taiwanese Salon? Although I am very marketable here in the states, I don’t really speak Chinese. Do you guys think this would be an issue working in a higher-end salon? Has anyone seen Americans or foreigners in general cutting or coloring in a salon in Taipei? Any help would be great!

Thanks!
-Kaylyn

I been here for 10 years and I have never seen a foreigner working in a Hair Salon. You will never get a work permit to work in a hair Salon & you do not want to work in a hair salon. You will have very long working hours for a low salary and only 6 days off per month.

and you don’t speak Chinese, so forget about it. You do not want to work in the service sector in Taiwan

So many debbie downers.

Believe it or not, there is a demand for English speaking hair dressers. I get a lot of friends that come here to Taipei that ask me to bring them to a stylist because they don’t speak a word of Chinese. So I sit there for an hour translating everything for them. It’s annoying. Unfortunately, this can be solved with showing the stylist a picture. =\

It is true that it would be very tough to get a work permit from a hair salon. I’ve personally never seen a foreigner work at a hair salon.

Your best bet would be to open up your own shop.

There is an Italian girl with her own beauty salon in Taipei. I don’t have the details, but you can Google the s**t out of it and find her. She might be willing to expand the service package she offers or maybe give you some advice on how to insert yourself in the job market. Good luck!

Someone on here has to know her though. Taipei is such a tiny place and there’s only so many foreigners.

It’s called “Pretty Woman Aesthetic Center”. They do have a Facebook page, so you can contact the owner through it