Haiti's Earthquake (01/12/2010)

Horrendous destruction in Haiti. Three earthquakes, one 7, two aftershocks of almost 6.

No communications, no resources, even UN personnel missing.

Say a prayer. :cry:

And only about 15km from the capital of Port-au-Prince - and it’s the poorest country in the western hemisphere, with the infrastructure least prepared to handle it.

Not that any country is exactly prepared to handle a 7.0 quake right beside its major city.

[quote]Experts said the quake’s epicenter was very shallow at a depth of only 6.2 miles, which was likely to have magnified the destruction.

Dale Grant, a U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist in Golden, Colorado, told Reuters there had been no quakes this large in Haiti for more than 200 years.

“There were two major quakes there in 1751 and 1770 but, since then, there has not been a quake of this magnitude,” Grant said.

[/quote]
From Reuters.

As we say in Spanish, eramos muchos y pario la suegra. Thinsg were dire before and now…

CNN’s airing pretty horrific footage of utter mayhem on the streets of Port-au-Prince… Thousands feared dead, countless buildings collapsed including at least one major hospital and the national palace… Let’s hope massive humanitarian support can reach Haiti as fast as the journalists seem to be able to… Peace, strength and courage to the people and animals caught up in this disaster… :frowning:

Hopefully people will remember to give even more generously than usual this time, despite the distance, because the people of Haiti really don’t have the resources to help themselves.

Nor will they even if you do donate generously. This is the same Haiti that had food rotting on its docks because Haitian customs wouldn’t inspect containers?

:doh: So what’s the solution?

Do NOT donate until there are internationally recognized charity groups on the ground. DO NOT donate to any but those groups. The government WILL take your donations and keep it for themselves.

wolton.net/quake.html

A very cool prog for earthquake information. Quick dl and its 3D cool.

Prayers for the Haitians… :pray:

Sounds like VERY good advice.

For a country that has been around for 200 years and not have the basic outline of putting in running water and sewage lines, there is not much you can do.

Haiti is a shithole, it always will be a shithole, till the day people start realizing that the govt is the problem and not the solution.

Follow Sandman’s advice.

Some 30 pictures at link. Major disaster.

vancouversun.com/news/Earthq … story.html

I second that.

ROC embassy gone. Ambassador hurt. Dunno about the rest. :frowning:

Additional EQ information and updates on disaster response:

US agencies coordinating Haiti rescue efforts

Reputable groups like the American Red Cross appear to be onto the case, preparing to move relief supplies from Panama to Haiti. Why not donate some money to the Red Cross to help out? As soon as I saw the news this morning I donated a hundred bucks - real ones, not TWD. And I’m from New Zealand, where we are second only to the Scots in general tightwaddedness.

I happened to be traveling in Haiti during the Gonaive floods in 2008. The place was a mess then and this latest disaster sounds even worse. Honestly guys, have a little heart! Sure Haiti is a basket case, and sure donations aren’t ultimately going to fix things. Sure, many of those involved in ‘aid work’ in Haiti are incompetents, ego-manics, religious nuts, and general oddballs. However, at a time like this the help is so obviously needed that asking too many questions is a very bad look. The Red Cross are reputable. They will be sending stuff into Haiti whether or not you donate, but if you donate perhaps they’ll be able to send a little more. And even if that little bit extra never makes it to Haiti, perhaps it will help someone in some other part of the world when a different fuck-up strikes the least deserving.

I remember standing on the tarmac having just landed at Port-au-Prince airport and watching US marines scampering back and forth to load helicopters taking supplies into Gonaive. I think they were marines anyway - from the USS Curacao was what I was told. Anyway, it was one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen. The weather was crap, Gonaive was drowning, Port-au-prince was a grotty looking slum where I was probably going to get mugged, but at least somebody was doing some good stuff on a grand scale. Much as I hate to say it, you have to love the Yanks at times like these. They have the resources to get help where it’s needed and they run a good operation.

So stop the cynicism and open your freaking wallets!

No, one can do both at the same time. :stuck_out_tongue: Here’s the Red Cross donation link, by the way.

The ROC has an embassy there?

Used to. It toppled over. Took six hours to dig out the ambassador.

Talking about religious nuts, I start looking for news about the quake, and the first quako that comes out is Pat Robertson. “They made a dela with the devel. Repent!” Worse part is how many people listen to him and won’t help because of those words. :fume:

Yes, those people are unlucky. The ambassador was saying something along the lines of “we know the US will be there for us, as it was when we got hit by 4 hurricane sin 3 weeks…” Gosh. :astonished:

The difference between Dominican Republic -which is gorgeous, but also plagued with these development illnesses as corruption and such- and Haiti is abysmal. Yes, it is a mess, but it is so because of historical factors, one after the other, plus natural disasters as these earthquakes.

The last piece of news I saw about Haiti before this tragedy was that the poorest peopel were eating mud cakes -yes, out of real mud- because they have nothing to put in their bellies…

Pat Robertson: what a bigoted prick.

he should go voer there and help dig people out with his own hands. Instead, he won’t touch them because they “made a deal with the devil” just like the people of New Orleans were paid for years of abortion with the gift of Hurricane Katrina…

[quote=“Kiwi”]Reputable groups like the American Red Cross appear to be onto the case, preparing to move relief supplies from Panama to Haiti. Why not donate some money to the Red Cross to help out? As soon as I saw the news this morning I donated a hundred bucks - real ones, not TWD. And I’m from New Zealand, where we are second only to the Scots in general tightwaddedness.

I happened to be traveling in Haiti during the Gonaive floods in 2008. The place was a mess then and this latest disaster sounds even worse. Honestly guys, have a little heart! Sure Haiti is a basket case, and sure donations aren’t ultimately going to fix things. Sure, many of those involved in ‘aid work’ in Haiti are incompetents, ego-manics, religious nuts, and general oddballs. However, at a time like this the help is so obviously needed that asking too many questions is a very bad look. The Red Cross are reputable. They will be sending stuff into Haiti whether or not you donate, but if you donate perhaps they’ll be able to send a little more. And even if that little bit extra never makes it to Haiti, perhaps it will help someone in some other part of the world when a different fuck-up strikes the least deserving.

I remember standing on the tarmac having just landed at Port-au-Prince airport and watching US marines scampering back and forth to load helicopters taking supplies into Gonaive. I think they were marines anyway - from the USS Curacao was what I was told. Anyway, it was one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen. The weather was crap, Gonaive was drowning, Port-au-prince was a grotty looking slum where I was probably going to get mugged, but at least somebody was doing some good stuff on a grand scale. Much as I hate to say it, you have to love the Yanks at times like these. They have the resources to get help where it’s needed and they run a good operation.

So stop the cynicism and open your freaking wallets![/quote]
What the hell are you on about? Who said anything about not donating? What I said was DO NOT donate to any but reputable organizations because the Haitian government is possibly THE single most corrupt entity on the planet and any money you give it WILL DEFINITELY end up in the pockets of government officials.