Haiti's Earthquake (01/12/2010)

According to the Corruption Perceptions Index, Haiti is up there with the 10 most corrupted countries in the world. I don’t know how they calculate this, but it’s based on something. The country has a GDP per capita of 790 USD, about 2$ per person per day. And that’s just an average which means that millions of people live on much less than that. Born on the wrong side of the tracks.

More at link.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Kiwi”]Reputable groups like the American Red Cross appear to be onto the case, preparing to move relief supplies from Panama to Haiti. Why not donate some money to the Red Cross to help out? As soon as I saw the news this morning I donated a hundred bucks - real ones, not TWD. And I’m from New Zealand, where we are second only to the Scots in general tightwaddedness.

I happened to be traveling in Haiti during the Gonaive floods in 2008. The place was a mess then and this latest disaster sounds even worse. Honestly guys, have a little heart! Sure Haiti is a basket case, and sure donations aren’t ultimately going to fix things. Sure, many of those involved in ‘aid work’ in Haiti are incompetents, ego-manics, religious nuts, and general oddballs. However, at a time like this the help is so obviously needed that asking too many questions is a very bad look. The Red Cross are reputable. They will be sending stuff into Haiti whether or not you donate, but if you donate perhaps they’ll be able to send a little more. And even if that little bit extra never makes it to Haiti, perhaps it will help someone in some other part of the world when a different fuck-up strikes the least deserving.

I remember standing on the tarmac having just landed at Port-au-Prince airport and watching US marines scampering back and forth to load helicopters taking supplies into Gonaive. I think they were marines anyway - from the USS Curacao was what I was told. Anyway, it was one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen. The weather was crap, Gonaive was drowning, Port-au-prince was a grotty looking slum where I was probably going to get mugged, but at least somebody was doing some good stuff on a grand scale. Much as I hate to say it, you have to love the Yanks at times like these. They have the resources to get help where it’s needed and they run a good operation.

So stop the cynicism and open your freaking wallets![/quote]
What the hell are you on about? Who said anything about not donating? What I said was DO NOT donate to any but reputable organizations because the Haitian government is possibly THE single most corrupt entity on the planet and any money you give it WILL DEFINITELY end up in the pockets of government officials.[/quote]

Apologies. Forget I said anything.

About the Ambassador’s plight:
taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=91919&ctNode=445

Developed countries, through the U.N. or otherwise, should have an "Immediate Response’ plan. That would be like teams that join the team because they are willing to contribute and governments that join can expect the same Immediate Response in return. Think about “Reciprocity Agreements” between cities and counties in the U.S. Basically, we are ready to go on a moment’s notice. If reporters can be on the ground in 12 hours, we should be able to have a full response from various countries around the world in no more than a few hours more. Disasters are not new. They happen all the time so why don’t we plan for them and be ready to roll when they do. I understand the logistics involved but in this case, it’s not too difficult to comprehend. Rescue teams, food, water, shelter etc. The basics. Surely the developed countries can have warehouses of medical supples, food, water, tents, blankets, mobile hospital tents along with enough people to get the job done. Hell, America didn’t even have it for Katrina. Why? Money? I doubt that’s the problem. Government regulations just slows things down. Everybody wants to be in charge. Do it and worry about the problems later.
For example, every year, America has devastating forest fires and the same in Australia at the opposite time of the year. Why hasn’t the government figured out a reciprocity agreement. Saves money for both. The same would work for all members of the agreement. I’m rambling. Must be a better way.

Bad government is part of the problem. Good government is part of the solution.

[quote=“Enigma”]Developed countries, through the U.N. or otherwise, should have an "Immediate Response’ plan.[/quote]They do. Disaster Response Teams are active in most developed countries. News agencies have reporters dispatched all over the world, unlike the DRTs. It’s natural that reporters will be on site first. I understand your point, though, and I agree that there is room for improvement. The faster the response is, the more lives are saved.

I recall the 60’s TV news stories about the SAC teams ready on standby and would go within a minute.
I don’t even suggest that, but it shouldn’t take more than 48 hours to get necessities on the ground. Can’t land at the airport? Hell, air drop small individual “care pacs” from aircraft. each C130 could carry at least a hundred thousand care packages and they are dropped independantly so - no fighting
Hell, there has to be a better way. This shit doesn’t work and the U.S. should recognize it and develop a better way. I’m (obviously) not a genious but I understand when people that survived a disaster are in need, they need basics: food, water, medical supplies, tents, blankets and the knowledge that somebody gives a shit and more is coming. The packs should be on pallets and ready to load in a half hour. They’re in flight time and on the ground being used, an hour later.
Why don’t we do it better. If the U.S. can’t help their own, maybe we should reduce our expectations for other countries. Obama has stood up to the task and done the right thing. But, I feel, things have slowed down, not because of him, but because of beuracracy that gets in the way, much as it did in Katrina.
Don’t tell me it’s a difficult situation. The U.S. has the resources, the money and the desire to help. If they arn’t there in 48 hours, something is really “F’d Up”.
Maybe the best solution is as the Haitians have come to expect, DIY. Sad.

Taiwan is sending a rescue team (probably there already) with sniffer dogs and all that. Same kind of team that worked during 921. Let hope they find survivors and dig them out. Its a horrible tragedy in Haiti, a lot of suffering. Lets hope they get the injured treated and the dead buried and are able to care for the survivors.

Rescue teams and logistic teams are needed there to provide rescue, treatment and food and water to the survivors.

Wonder if they find that missing girl (who was earlier reported to have died), the daughter of the engineer. NO age or other info given.

Things are very desperate there now:
dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … y-aid.html

Here’s the full Roberston quote: Prick? I think he’s a loon.

[quote]They were under the heel of the French, you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said ‘We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.’ True story. And so the devil said, ‘Ok it’s a deal.’ And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another," Robertson said.
[/quote]

Natural disaster seem to bring out the public dumbass in a lot of people.
Here is Danny Glovers contribution to stupidity:

Says Glover: “When we see what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I’m sayin’?”

Hey Glover…Shut Up and act.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Natural disaster seem to bring out the public dumbass in a lot of people.
[/quote]
Indeed.

“Yes, I think in the Haiti earthquake, ladies and gentlemen – in the words of Rahm Emanuel, we have another crisis simply too good to waste. This will play right into Obama’s hands – humanitarian, compassionate. They’ll use this to burnish their – shall we say – credibility with the black community, in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community, in this country. It’s made-to-order for 'em. That’s why he couldn’t wait to get out there. Could not wait to get out there.” - Rush Limbaugh

:raspberry:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Natural disaster seem to bring out the public dumbass in a lot of people.
Here is Danny Glovers contribution to stupidity:

Says Glover: “When we see what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I’m sayin’?”

Hey Glover…Shut Up and act.[/quote]

At least he isn’t a person who influences other people’s worldviews to any meaningful extent.

God bless the Haitians (sp?)

Gave my contribution today to the Red Cross.
Mr. Robertson, you are so confused that I wont even try to straighten you out. You have good intentions but so badly alligned with reality.
Haitians need help yesterday and if the U.S. can’t get there in 24 hours, I, as an American, am very angry with my leaders. So many have died and all I hear is that “We are coming”. Right. I have heard that story too many times. President Obama?, " Tell them to move NOW!" If some one is slow, leave them. Get our forces “on the ground” NOW
I expect it and the world is watching. Take control and get the job done.

Anybody who is watching the news can figure out a direct respose. The military is so used to a military action and they should be, But, drastic situations require novel solutions. Fly over and drop the supplis! Seems so easy but regs won’t allow such a solution.

As I type this many people die because the goernments of the world deliver “half-way”. I am patrirotic to my country but this ability to do sooooo much LATER is not conducive to helping in disasters. Air drop in small parcels and the give massively.
“Momma, Please don’t let me die”
“Sorry my dear, they are coming”

Some useful links:
Charity Navigator
BBB: Charities Providing Haiti Earthquake Relief
American Institute of Philanthropy (AIP): top-rated list of charities

You might want to avoid Wyclef Jean’s Charity.

For any artists, photographers etc who wish to donate work to a global fundraiser auction, check out facebook.com/140hours

BBC has a special about this quake called Haiti’s Killer Quake: Why it happened.

Interesting if you’re into geology and all that.