Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

They seem to have missed the pre~existing conditions category totally. I think they just want those ones to die unless politically connected of course.

1 Like

Despite the hard green Turtonites and arriviste English teachers promoting independence agendas (reminds me of Lenin calling foreigners useful idiots), the politics of Taiwan are not green or blue – they are shart brown for the worker, vulnerable and/or proletariat. :laughing:

Barely a difference when it comes to systemic changes.

4 Likes

Yup same old s…t running the show. Argue in public for the news , then get drunk and eat together afterwards.Maybe when the situation has calmed down we might really find out who the vaccines went to. Front line workers yeah sure ha ha ha (sorry off topic throw it in temporary).

2 Likes

Sounds like France and École nationale d’administration cronyism/clientelism. And outsiders wonder why people in the hinterlands in France are gravitating to the far left and right.

Except in Taiwan it is a fuck lot less erudite.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not a buxiban established by a company? If so, the buxiban is a kind of subsidiary of the company (but is not a subsidiary company).

If the full legal name of the business entity ends in 有限公司, it’s officially a company. If it contains 公司 but ends with 補習班, it’s officially a buxiban. The really annoying thing is that they don’t necessarily use their full legal name except when they’re forced to (like when they go to court).

There should also be a buxiban lookup tool somewhere in the local education department’s website, where the current status of the registration can be verified.

Their legal name ends with buxiban. I can’t follow the twists and turns to know whether this is good or bad for me by now.

It’s bad as far as labor insurance is concerned, unless they are (i.e. were) already a labor insurance unit, in which case it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Nice rant from a GVO teacher.

2 Likes

It’s more than a rant though, it’s actually a hard and horrible reality. How are these people supposed to survive ? They have been effectively abandoned to their own devices. And yet they aren’t permitted to work elsewhere .

The buxiban industry is the pits and Taiwan society discriminates heavily against foreign residents.

3 Likes

I see it as a lament not a rant.

I believe the ESL space in Taiwan will suffer the same fate as the hospitality industry will in the USA. Treat them kindly they will stay.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s a fucked up situation. I was a little surprised Taiwan News published it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hear from the pricks at GVO. And hopefully the Ministry of Labor gives GVO a little visit regarding that labor insurance.

2 Likes

Three of my buxiban teacher chums have been contacted, without solicitation, regarding teaching jobs starting in August/September. It’s going to be a seller’s market.

6 Likes

He didn’t mention his stimmy checks.

Only if he is American.

The labor insurance in the article, I wonder if they might confuse it with the employment insuranse.

2 Likes

He may mean they don’t pay labour insurance contribution if they are part timers, less than 16 hours per week, something like that ?

But it seems buxobans don’t even need to pay labour insurance depending on what type of business they are registered as right…

Does labor insurance give any benefits in this situation?

Not unless he was paying labour insurance and officially laid off possibly …

The government did announce covid subsidies for those schools (who would supposedly give it to teachers) who were paying labour insurance and had at least 50% reduction in income , didn’t they ?

1 Like

They should be full-time monthly paid employees on APRC to be counted, aren’t they?

This guy doesn’t have APRC. And yes they seem need APRC for the covid subsidy. Which is astonishingly mean.

But the school may also have needed to be contributing labour insurance . I read above that some didn’t do this…Don’t ask me how !

Years ago I worked part time for a school , they didn’t pay my NHI or Lao bao because I was part time.