Hallmark channel and Star World channel

I live in Taichung and was wondering if it is possible to get either of these channels from any cable service provider. I am under the impression that there is only one cable company per area, to prevent competition, correct?

Last year, I used to receive Hallmark channel (107) but then it was taken off the air and replaced by some other chinese channel, but the TV guide continues to show listings from China Times. Although it has been the same programming for for a while.
I have never been able to receive Star World unfortunately; is there anything I can do?

Hallmark
chinapost.com.tw/entertainme … llmark.asp

Star World
chinapost.com.tw/entertainme … rworld.asp

Ours is on digital cable. I don’t know if they have that in Taichung. Have to pay extra. I hardly every watch them anyway.

How much do you pay per month for digital cable? Do you have the name of the company (preferably in Pinying)? I will find out if they have it in Taichung.

I’m in Taipei City. We pay 600-800/mth for cable - sorry too lazy to go look at the receipt. I do know that the company is really localised though - they only provide services in Wenshan district. Ask your neighbours what they use, that’s what we did.

Has anyone else lost Star World recently? Our TV is mildly f%#ked, so I’m not sure if it’s the TV or not, but we get the blue screen of death whenever I try where Star World used to be. I’ve gone through the other channels, but can’t find it.

My wife pays the bills, so I don’t know. It is Yangming cable co. I think the plan was to have an all digital Taiwan, but they got bogged down on the price of the cable box. You have to buy that and it’s like 4,000NT. I think the charge is about 500 a month, but someone said that they got it for 600 a year.

[quote=“gcat”]I’m in Taipei City. We pay 600-800/mth for cable - sorry too lazy to go look at the receipt. I do know that the company is really localised though - they only provide services in Wenshan district. Ask your neighbours what they use, that’s what we did.

Has anyone else lost Star World recently? Our TV is mildly f%#ked, so I’m not sure if it’s the TV or not, but we get the blue screen of death whenever I try where Star World used to be. I’ve gone through the other channels, but can’t find it.[/quote]

try getting your tv tune to re-scan the channels - starworld may just have moved!

We also are in Wenshan district and have recently lost Star World too. My wife called to ask about it and they said Star World had just been an extra channel and wasn’t part of the contract. Bummer.

Star World’s only available on digital cable TV in Taichung City; I guess Hallmark’s the same now.

I don’t have digital cable TV, just analogue. I can’t remember how much digital is but I know it’s quite a lot – maybe around 600NT extra per month.

I’ve been told it gets taken off occasionally and then it gets put back on but sometimes different channels. I can’t find it though.
Why would they do that!!! I don’t even know whats gonna happen in the OC - I refused to watch it at home. Now they get me hooked then take it away.
Is it like drug dealers who give you a free try, then, when your hooked they have a new customer?!!

Which channel gets taken off occasionally? Hallmark?
Maybe I should scan my channels every month incase it moved.

[quote=“taffygirl”]I’ve been told it gets taken off occasionally and then it gets put back on but sometimes different channels. I can’t find it though.
Why would they do that!!! I don’t even know whats gonna happen in the OC - I refused to watch it at home. Now they get me hooked then take it away.
Is it like drug dealers who give you a free try, then, when your hooked they have a new customer?!![/quote]

Having an extra cable box for digital is a pain.
Does digital cable have a lot more English channels than regular cable?
The ones that I have are:

HBO, Cinemax, Star Movies, AXN, Disney, National Geographic, Discovery, Hollywood, Animal Planet, Travel and CNN.

I miss all the reality shows in the US; it would be nice to get those.

[quote=“greglee”]Having an extra cable box for digital is a pain.
Does digital cable have a lot more English channels than regular cable?
The ones that I have are:

HBO, Cinemax, Star Movies, AXN, Disney, National Geographic, Discovery, Hollywood, Animal Planet, Travel and CNN.

I miss all the reality shows in the US; it would be nice to get those.

[/quote]

You can have them from this service here www.taiwansatellite.tv lots of US programming on Dream TV ETC & RPN9Prime Shift Channels

We also lost Star World recently. It was the channel I watched most :frowning:

Think we’re going to have to get the digital box thingy. I had heard you could buy it instead of renting it. Anyone know anything about this? Is it different for each provider or can I just get one and plug it in wherever?

I also recently lost the Star World channel here in Tainan.
No more Simpsons. Cable company said they just didn’t renew their contract with them.
They may return it in the future – thay have no idea though.
Sucks…

I’ve still got Star World, some sports channels, Star Movies, Hollywood, AXN, HBO, CineMax, And another English movie channel. I think the digital cable is great. I was thinking about buying one of those programable dvd recorder/players so I wouldn’t have to miss the Simpsons anymore.

I certainly don’t need to watch any more tv than I do already…

Now that I’ve got Star World, I realize how much I do not miss TV. Sitcom is not appropriate for these shows, they should just call it Sit because there’s no com. Today I watched a little while I was replacing the screens in my windows. That Spongepants Squarebob guy is cute, but I don’t see what’s so good about it. Then it was the King of Queens. I like Jerry Stiller, but that show is lamer than Moesha.