Ham radio operators in Taiwan?

A friend of a friend is coming to Taiwan early next year and is a ham radio operator. He’s interested in meeting fellow operators in Taiwan prior to his visit. Are any of you ham radio operators or can anyone direct me to a club or webpage?

Thanks!

Hello there,

My girlfriends Dad is president or something of the Chinese Taipei Amateur Radio League (CTARL). They’re an active Ham Radio group on Taiwan. Don’t know much about them but their website is :

www.ctarl.org.tw

I know they’ve just got a new English section to their website as they have a big conference mid-february next year. I know that some of them have resonably good english so they should be able to help if you or your friend emails them.

Steve

Unless they made any changes recently, your friend will be able to get a sort term license instantly. This will be an operator’s license only.

As in the United States, an amateur radio lic. has two parts. I station lic. and an operator’s lic. With your "short term lic. you can use a Taiwanese Hams station with them at the controls but you cannot own your own equipment.

Why the trouble… There is no reciprical treaty between the US and Taiwan.

I found that out the hardway when I moved to the country where there are no hams. My father sent me a rig that got turn back at customs. I could only look at the box and watch it go back to the states.

Good news though… I believe that any foreign resedent can take the test and get a ham radio ticket. But the test is in Chinese.

If there are any foreigners or Taiwanese hams who’d like to open a southern Taiwan study group, please drop me a line.

Note, this information is two years old. I got frustrated and moved on to other things. Please let us know what the new rules may be.

I got my amateur license in 2000. The test was very easy. I check it again, and there is still no English test right now. I took this test because I know radio communication in my army service and I kinda like it. I even practice MORSE code for a while but forgot all anyway. However, I don’t know how to buy a MACHINE. But I guess I may try to contact any expert and try it again.

Does anyone know where I can find a ham radio or two for use as props in our movie? Thanks.

Since there was nobody else in Taiwan to talk to, Chen connected with people around the world, using Morse code at first via his station BV2A, and gaining voice communication capabilities in 1974 through BV2B. Chen was strictly forbidden to speak with anyone in China or the Soviet Union, but he enjoyed much popularity as the world’s only BV (Taiwan’s country code) station operator — so much so that US senator and fellow ham enthusiast Barry Goldwater specifically requested to tour Chen’s two stations when he visited Taiwan in 1986.

Great story on a miniscule segment of Taiwan’s history.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting that link. He must have had a fascinating life!

Taiwan has more than 25,000 operators of ham radio according to this podcast.

1 Like

I have my General ham radio license and plan to use my rig in Taiwan to stay connected with the outside world if and when China invades:

If China declares war on Taiwan, these ham radio enthusiasts could be crucial for civilians and officials alike — and they can offer lessons for the rest of us.