Hand-Rearing Kittens

We have a small kitten and we just finally weaned her. Her stools are gray, almost black and according to what I googled, it could be serious. Possibly internal bleeding. We took her to the vet and we got medicine for her.

Aside from the stool color, she’s doing fine. She has lots of energy but she does cry a lot. If she’s walking around the house, she doesn’t cry, only if we put her in her heated box. It’s not a heat problem either because once she’s out of the box she often settles near the heater. This to say that I don’t think she’s in pain but yet her the color of her stools is a worry. She’s been on the medicine for three days now and the stool color remains grayish and very liquid.

If anyone knows about hand-rearing kittens, any advice on this would be appreciated.

Her name is Marmalade.

bobepine

I think it’s probably round worm infected. Round worm is not actually the worm but a virus type of diseases. I think you should suggest to your vet to take the stool sample and look under the microscope to check if there are round worm cells. The sysmptoms are usually with running poo with blood, dehydration etc. If the kitty poos very very running with lots of blood. Shots would be a better suggestion.

For the crying, she is probably lonely and wants a playmate. You can give the kitty a stuffed animal with an alarm clock. She will feel more secured.

Bobepine, you’re doing an incredible job down there.

Just a quick but essential piece of advice, the kitten MUST be able to move away from the heat source as needed, as kits and pups can very easily overheat. I would strongly suggest NOT keeping her inside a heated box; instead, if she likes sleeping next to it, go with that.

I hope you get this message soon, as it could be fatal if the kitten gets too warm

Cute kitty - I’m sure she’ll go fast. Best of luck to you!

Sean

Not a vet. But, when people have purple or black stools it’s an indication that there is blood in it - and that they are bleeding in their GI tract somewhere. If a human is anemic from blood loss - their blood pressure is low their heart rate is high, their skin color is pale (if they’re white), they are lethargic. How to translate this to a kitty, dunno. But sounds like you’re getting her/him Vet care - and that’s the best you can do.

She’s a cutey! Good luck.

Bodo

About 18 months ago my friend found a kitten about the same size at yours, in the street. She was almost dead and had a badly mangled leg (probably from a street dog, we guessed). Anyway, my friend nursed the cat back to health, and she grew up just fine, aside from a crippled leg. But, like yours, she really seemed to cry a lot - she still does, in fact. Hmm, maybe “cry” is not quite the right word, because that implies distress, pain or fear. She just makes a LOT of noise. She can’t keep quiet! She’s just very vocal, more so than any cat I’ve ever met. Everything she does is accompanied by a sound, really. Maybe your kitten is also just a “vocal” cat too.

Best take a sample to the vet, he can look at it under a microscope to see what’s in it. As for hand rearing cats, here’s one I did earlier:
shinyimports.com/OtherImages/100_2090.MOV
He had about nine of those pipette things of milk for one meal, when his mouth was bigger we were able to use a bottle.

BFM, the video isn’t working for me. What player do I need? I have Quicktime and WMP.[quote]black stools it’s an indication that there is blood in it [/quote]I took another sample today and there was blood in it. :s We got more medecine for her and we are stopping the kitty milk and changing it to water instead. :idunno: We were mixing the milk with the food but now she’s off the milk completely. The stool is more black than gray now, seems like it’s getting blacker. Fingers crossed for Marmalade. I wish there was a miracle cure to make her feel better but we’ll just have to trust the vet. He crushed four different pills and dilluted it in water and some kind of oil and we have to use a seringe to feed it to her twice a day.

[quote]Just a quick but essential piece of advice, the kitten MUST be able to move away from the heat source as needed, as kits and pups can very easily overheat. I would strongly suggest NOT keeping her inside a heated box; instead, if she likes sleeping next to it, go with that. [/quote]Thanks Sean. If anything, I think she may be seeking more warmth. Here’s a couple pics of her settings to comfort your motherly instincts. :wink:

She cries a lot in her cage but when the door is open she wanders around a bit and she always settles near the heater. We put her in there at night and when her paws feel cold.

bobepine

Nevermind BFM, I got the video working. :slight_smile: That kitten looks identical to Marmalade, thanks for sharing that.

bobepine

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Best take a sample to the vet, he can look at it under a microscope to see what’s in it. As for hand rearing cats, here’s one I did earlier:
shinyimports.com/OtherImages/100_2090.MOV
He had about nine of those pipette things of milk for one meal, when his mouth was bigger we were able to use a bottle.[/quote]

BFM, nice one! But why do you feed the cat on one hand and torture it with the garbage-truck symphony on the other?

[quote=“bobepine”]BFM, the video isn’t working for me. What player do I need? I have Quicktime and WMP.[quote]black stools it’s an indication that there is blood in it [/quote]I took another sample today and there was blood in it. :s We got more medecine for her and we are stopping the kitty milk and changing it to water instead. :idunno: We were mixing the milk with the food but now she’s off the milk completely. The stool is more black than gray now, seems like it’s getting blacker. Fingers crossed for Marmalade. I wish there was a miracle cure to make her feel better but we’ll just have to trust the vet. He crushed four different pills and dilluted it in water and some kind of oil and we have to use a seringe to feed it to her twice a day.

bobepine[/quote]

Da Ding!! If it’s not milk formulated especially for cats - the kitten might not be able to digest the stuff - also I’ve heard of cow’s milk causing intestinal inflammation in cats (humans too) - and this could be exacerbating whatever condition she’s got - might even be the problem. Good idea to go off milk.

Bodo

Do you have a history with this vet. Maybe a second opinon is in order. It feels really great to have a competent vet you can trust. She’s a beautiful kitty. Maybe she would like another kitty for a friend. I too have a very vocal kitten, that is just part of her personality. Kind of like people I guess, my girlfriend never stops talking and loves to add her two cents.

Yes, always use kitty milk and kitty food, especially if that’s all they’re having. They have different nutricial requirements to humans. Has to be warm milk too. I was using kitty milk in that video.

[quote=“Bodo”]Da Ding!! If it’s not milk formulated especially for cats - the kitten might not be able to digest the stuff - [/quote]I was using powdered kitty milk made especially for kittens but I read that some kittens will not digest it well either.

[quote]Do you have a history with this vet. Maybe a second opinion is in order.[/quote]I agree but we’re afraid that seeing a second vet may result in drug over-use and it would be awkward to ask one vet to call another vet to find out what was prescribed. She also was given one injection which was meant to protect her bowels and intestine and my Chinese is too poor to explain all this.

I do trust this vet quite a bit though, he helped another kitten and one pup we brought home that also had problematic stools. The good news for now is that for the first time this morning her stools aren’t as black, it was more like a very dark brown. Her energy level is high and she’s eating and drinking well. So far so good. :slight_smile:

bobepine

What kind of kitten milk are you using now, if you don’t mind I ask.
I use KMR everytime when I take in kittens that need to be bottle fed.
KMR doesn’t seem have any problems. Here is a website of KMR. Just it out.

petsmart.com/global/product_ … 25573&Ne=2

I still have some if you’d like to try out.
Just let me know.

Ginger above was drinking KMR milk, there’s even a picture of him on the tin :slight_smile: I think kittens can digest that better than any cow milk. If there is a problem, there is always other brands.

Hi Minou,(God that’s weird, it’s like I’m typing to my cat…)

My cat’s name is Minou BTW. In French it means…Hmmm. Nah, I don’t want to out you. :wink:

The kitty is off the milk now and I just looked, the kitty milk we used is made by BIAPHAR. Different stuff. I got back from work and she had her best stool so far today. Even browner and it looked more solid. I fed her some cooked ground chicken mixed with water for dinner, my wife read that it’s easy on their tummies. More so than fish. She loved it! :slight_smile:

bobepine

[quote]What kind of kitten milk are you using now, if you don’t mind I ask.
I use KMR everytime when I take in kittens that need to be bottle fed.
KMR doesn’t seem have any problems. Here is a website of KMR. Just it out.

petsmart.com/global/product_ … 25573&Ne=2

I still have some if you’d like to try out.
Just let me know.[/quote]

hi bobepine

In fact, I regestered here with my 2nd cat’s name. LOL~
My husband gave this name to her…anyways, sounds like the kitty is doing better and better. Fingers crossed. Just keep your eye on her. I am sure she will be fine. Chinck brests boiled just in water is fine for kittens too. I think you are doing a good job with the kitty.

:notworthy:

Can anyone show me how to post pictures BYW?!

You have to host your pictures first. Register for free with www.photobucket.com and upload your pictures. You’ll get three links. The bottom link is ready to use. Just cut and paste in the reply window and the pic will show up. You basically need the URL to your hosted picture in between the following brackets thingies: The bottom link on photobucket already has the codes/brackets thingies. Pm me if you need help.

bobepine

Good news, little Marmalade is doing very well. She’s now off the medication. She’s eating solid food, having solid healthy stools and very energetic. :slight_smile: She’s still very small though. Here’s a recent pic.

The following are pics of Trooper, for those of you who remember him. He’s on AT’s website as “adopted” btw.

This is the before picture:

This is the after picture:

And this is what he looked like last week. :slight_smile: The Lady who adopted him is doing a great job.

She’s also adopted another kitten and the two of them get along well and they keep each other’s company.

bobepine