Hands Across Taiwan on 2-28

What is this all about, is it a political event or just a cultural event, and can foreigners participate without breaking the law (?) about supporting political candidates, and is anyone planning to participate and where and is there a sign up fee or is it a free event?

And this: do you really think it is possible in reality to link up hand to hand from TPE to KSNG in one long link, or will there be some cheating here and there?

Added loater: Now they tell us:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003099049

twp people hand in hand would cover a length of say 3 meters (1.5 people per meter)

You would need 667 to cover one kilometre

Say Taipei to Kaoishung is over 400 KM ( you can’t use the highway)

That would mean you would need 266,800 people to go from Taipei to Kaoshiung

And the question: who exactly will be co ordinating these 266K people…

Its hard enough to get them to queue at the 711 or bus stop… how can you get them to line up and join hands at the same time?

TNT, interesting stats. Yes, this is gonna be funny, or strange. Or both. Apparently, Former Lee and present Chen will fly over the long conga line in helichoppers.

I wonder if they will pull this one off. It might offer a good re election boost for Chen if it goes well, and it will make a great international photo worlwide, but will it come off? Where can we get info on this and can anyone join in?

hand-in-hand.org.tw

The rally will span 500 km in length along the north-south highways on the west coast, from Keelung to Pingtung. All participants are expected to hold hands at 2:28:28 p.m. on Feb. 28th…

Foreigners can participate. Besides myself, I know several others who will.

I predict total shambles. There is no way this will work. However, I also predict that the organizers will claim the event to be a wonderful success.

[quote]However, I also predict that the organizers will claim the event to be a wonderful success.
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, what is the plan, Feiren? I can see lots of people showing up in Taipei, Taichung, etc., but what about the rural areas? Are they planning on shipping people out on fleets of coaches and shipping them back again or something? Who is financing this?
I think a much better idea would be to send people up onto the Central Range and build a series of huge beacons visible to each other from Ilan to Kaohsiung.
Now THAT would be a statement.

[quote=“sandman”][quote]However, I also predict that the organizers will claim the event to be a wonderful success.
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, what is the plan, Feiren? I can see lots of people showing up in Taipei, Taichung, etc., but what about the rural areas? Are they planning on shipping people out on fleets of coaches and shipping them back again or something? Who is financing this?
I think a much better idea would be to send people up onto the Central Range and build a series of huge beacons visible to each other from Ilan to Kaohsiung.
Now THAT would be a statement.[/quote]

No doubt there are alot of China hating Lee Tung Huei/A Bian loving people in the countryside…who probabily are doing there best to co ordinate this. Whether they do remains to be seen.

The population density in Tawian is pretty high even for the countryside. Also towns never really end here, they tend to flow into eachother; so they should have the nubmers along the way to do this

Are the DPP not a little worried that there aren’t going to be some KMT gangsters trying to sabatoge the event, by hiring a couple of people and leading the line of people down the wrong street to a dead end ( or is that the excuse they will have if there is a screw up)

Also is everyone going to have their watches synchronized… I would not be suprised if half the line of people dispersed prior to the remaining forming

They’re reporting that they’ve already got a million people registered to take part, and are now looking to up the number to two million, so they should have plenty all along the way to make up the chain, even if things are a little chaotic here and there.

I think it’s a great idea, and hope it will go smoothly. If the weather is half decent, it should make for an enjoyable outing and splendid spectacle. I’m half minded to take part myself, with my wife and her family, if I can possibly spare the time.

Yes. And they’re going to do it from the cities as well, otherwise they’d be far too bunched up in Taipei, etc.

Good question.

I don’t think this is going to be the total mess some are expecting. The DPP and the opposition both have lots of experience busing people around from all over the country to various events. Although this is going to be a lot trickier because it lacks a central location, that doesn’t mean it’s going to fail.

Having an absolutely solid chain of people from one end of Taiwan to the other isn’t really so much the point as having a helluva lot of people getting together to tell China to piss off. So this could indeed work.

I’ve been considering going myself. :smiling_imp:

apparently the only weak link is around miaoli (prolly cos the hakka’s aren’t that pro-dpp) so they’re bussing loads in to make up the shortfall…other big news is that evryones fav 007 sean connery is supposed to be taking part…don’t know what his connection is but thats the headline in todays Liberty Times

Sean Connery is a big advocate of Scottish independence from those evil Brits, maybe he sympathises with Taiwan ?

Yes, Sean sympathizes strongly with the cause of Taiwan independence, and has said that A-bian is one of his biggest heroes. His presence will be an excellent publicity coup for the event. I bet the mainland commies will be fuming and will ban any film he acts in from being screened in China.

scotland vs england in the 6 nations rugby at 1 am that nite…maybe we can get sean down the monkey…unfortunately after scotlands performance agst wales last week they haven’t got a snowflakes chance

whoops sorry that game is of course tomorrow nite…i guess we’ll just have to take sean to hwa-hsi jie like all the other poor big noses that pass thru :unamused:

So, are they standing on the highway (on the shoulder maybe)? I doubt I would feel safe about this after seeing the way some people drive on Taiwan’s highways. And, how about the people driving while all this is going on? I can just see someone rubbernecking and slamming into the gangster’s big black Mercedes in front of them!

i doubt connery will come over. it is all a publicity gimmick by the DPP to gain media space.

The announcement of Sean Connery’s expected appearance seems to have stemmed from a misunderstanding or miscommunication. That’s a pity.

But if he can’t come, then I’ll be willing to stand in for him and hob-nob with A-bian and other bigwigs in the VIP section of the chain (as long as I don’t have to hold hands with Annette Lu). :smiley: