Handy iPhone tips

Good tip worth a try. :thumbsup:

A question related to Mother Teresa’s above: what’s the best way to manage two iPhones in one household?

I’ve got an iPhone and a Mac: I use Mobileme, the Mac address book, Mac calendars, etc. Lots of music and apps.

My wife will be getting an iPhone. She’ll use the same account as me for music and apps, but we’re not sure what to do about her contacts and her calendar. She lives in the Windows world.

What should she do for calendar and contacts? Would Google’s calendar and address book work well for her? Neither of us know much about those programs. At the moment her contacts are scattered across several phones and SIM cards, and are probably going to need retyping anyway.

I sync my iPhone to my Google calendar and address book. Took some time to weed out duplicates, but it works.
Google info

Yes, it is possible. My wife and I have a similar setup. Different iPhones sharing the same iTunes account. Different contacts on each. Different apps on each. Mine are synced with Google / Gmail. It works relatively well. If I download a new app, it will sync it to both devices unless you manually tell it not to.

+1 on putting your contacts into GMail Contacts and synching the calendar to Google Calendar. The sync works well on iOS and allows you to use one iTunes account for the music and apps while keeping the phones separate in terms of Contacts, Calendars and E-mail and other accounts. The bonus is whenever you migrate phones or add another device to your stack, setting up the device with your contacts, etc is as simple as hooking up the phone to GMail sync.

I tried something similar, but it didn’t quite work for me: my wife’s Google contacts have “contaminated” my Address Book on my Mac.

Rundown: I have an iMac, and my iPhone has always been synced through Mobileme and the iMac. My wife just got an iPhone; I plugged it into my iMac (to use my apps, and all our music is on the computer too). Chose to sync her iPhone’s contacts with gmail, and entered her information - that was all fine, and her phone has the correct information on it.

Then a few minutes later my computer suddenly warns me that syncing with Google is going to change lots of my contacts - it’s trying to mash her contacts and mine together, which would be a bit of a disaster. No option to just “not do it” - it’s either sync now or sync later. I don’t understand why my computer is also trying to sync with Google; all I asked was for the one specific device, the iPhone, to do that. I seem to have temporarily solved the problem by plugging her iPhone back in and turning off the Address Book/ Google sync, but I assume my wife will want to keep that sync going!

What I’m looking for: one iPhone on Mobileme syncing basically everything with my iMac; a second iPhone syncing music and apps with the same iMac, but syncing mail and contacts and calendars through Google. Any ideas?

You should be able to set both Google sync and Mobile Me contact sync through the air, as opposed to when you sync with iTunes. Go into Settings / Mail to see the options for each mail account. Turn off contact sync in iTunes when either device is plugged in.

I also get the Gmail contacts popup whenever I plug my iPhone into iTunes, but I just cancel it each time (not sure why it pops up even though I have unchecked the option in iTunes).

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]You should be able to set both Google sync and Mobile Me contact sync through the air, as opposed to when you sync with iTunes. Go into Settings / Mail to see the options for each mail account. Turn off contact sync in iTunes when either device is plugged in.

I also get the Gmail contacts popup whenever I plug my iPhone into iTunes, but I just cancel it each time (not sure why it pops up even though I have unchecked the option in iTunes).[/quote]
Thanks: I tried to do that with my wife’s iPhone, but while I was able to sync mail and calendars through the air, I couldn’t find a way to do it for the contacts. I’ll give it another look tonight.

Are you doing this just through Gmail, or through Exchange? I’ve been trying with Gmail.

To sync your iPhone contacts with Gmail using Exchange, follow the steps here.

The WSJ just ran this 10 Tips article.

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 … 55170.html

Here are my favorites.

[quote]Tap to Scroll Up

Give your pointer finger a rest from scrolling up, up, up to get back to the top of a page. Tap once on the status bar—where the time and battery life are displayed—at the top edge of the iPhone or iPad screen and you’ll jump up to the top. This works for websites, email, Contacts and many other apps

Speed from App to App

The iPhone and iPad have many apps running in the background. There are shortcuts for jumping around apps without going to the home screen. Double tap the Home button (a physical button below the screen) to see a pop-up tray of apps and swipe to the left to scroll through them. Select one to jump to it.

Take Screenshots

Ever see something on your iPhone or iPad screen and wish you could save that image, but can’t figure out how? Press the Home button and the On/Off button (top right edge) simultaneously to take a screenshot of whatever you see on the device. You’ll hear the same sound as when you take a picture with the Camera app. You can find all of your screenshots stored in Camera Roll, along with your photos, and share them via email or social networks as you do regular photos.

A Smarter Camera (iPhone)

If you’ve ever wished your iPhone camera had a physical shutter button, look no further. The phone’s volume up (+) button doubles as a shutter button whenever the Camera app is opened. This hard button feels sturdier all around, plus it makes it a cinch to take self-portraits or to tell strangers how to take a photo of you and your friends.

And speaking of handing your phone to strangers, don’t forget about the lock-screen shortcut for opening the Camera: Slide up the camera icon (found at the bottom right of the home screen) to open Camera without unlocking the phone. You can do this with anyone’s phone, regardless of whether or not you know their password because it only opens the Camera app[/quote]