Happy Birthday, Buddha

According to Wikipedia it’s Buddha’s birthday today, and a holiday in Taiwan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddha%27s_Birthday

Yay!! Hope he gets to eat his cake. Or will he just meditate on it?

Haha! Imagine the guy taking a deep breath, staring into the candle flame, becoming entranced, sitting there…

Oh, it’s a good day to go to any Buddhist temple then. You’ll get to wash the baby Buddha. Damn, I wish I could leave work early to head up to Zhangshan Temple in the mountains behind my house.

I thought we celebrated the day of his death? Or is that a Tibetan thing only?

there is no cake…

I’m going for a bike ride in the mountains. Maybe I’ll find a budhdist temple today…

Holiday?? No-one told my boss.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]there is no cake…

I’m going for a bike ride in the mountains. Maybe I’ll find a budhdist temple today…[/quote]

Just go to 7-11. They all have Buddhas in them. Or try a seafood restaurant.

What’s with the “we” white man? :wink:

What’s with the “we” white man? :wink:[/quote]

Some of us have evolved through religion and come out on the other side. All you infidels look the same to me from here. :smiley:

It’s a holiday in Mexico.

It’s also a holiday in China, which buggers the question, how come those godless commies get days off for religion and Taiwan doesn’t even have a Constitution Day anymore? Who’s the godless masses now then, eh? *

• Written by the defenders of the mightiest reich, ac_dropout and cctang et al and filed under my name. They can do that with PRC internet accounts you know.

HG

I always thought that the 6th was his birthday, which means it’s tomorrow.

One of the Buddhist countries (I think Thailand, but could be wrong) use the same day to celebrate his birth, death and enlightenment.

Dying on your birthday would sure suck, but I guess if you’d reached enlightenment 60 years earlier then it wouldn’t matter.

I think dying would suck, whenever you do it. But if it happened late enough on your birthday it may be preferable to the hangover…

So was it a holiday or not? I don’t usually notice these things.

Wow! Buddha’s birthday & Cinco De Mayo All At Once!
How Enlightened is that! :bravo:

Buddha would seem like to be One of the Top Deities (or their messengers)[Nordic Gods Notwithstanding, those Wild & Crazy Guys], who would appreciate the social & cultural value of A Good Party.
:notworthy:

Nah, that’s Kentucky Derby Day…at least it is this year.

Nah, that’s Kentucky Derby Day…at least it is this year.[/quote]Kentucky Derby is always the 1st Saturday in May…Be one with the Roses…OMMMmmmmmmmint julip…