Happy Pi-Day to all Forumosans

Today is not only the long awaited Happy Hour at “The Italian Job”,

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=45966

no, there is another celebration almost unnoticed. Today is Pi-Day. For those of you who don’t know who Pi is, or what this is all about, you can find it here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_day

Imagine, a world without Pi.

1. All circles would be polygons.

2. No traffic roundabouts.

3. We would have to eat square pies.

4. We would spill the beer by trying to drink out of a square glass when already drunk

5. Rectangularly pulsed music sounds terrible.

Any other thoughts why we should appreciate Pi?

Well it wouldn’t matter that there were no roundabouts, since we wouldn’t have any wheels. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s why the egg is not round.

That’s why the egg is not round.[/quote]

That depends how you look at it.

That’s why the egg is not round.[/quote]

That depends how you look at it.[/quote]

I guess I have to rephrase my original statement.

That’s why the egg is not spherical.

EDIT: I just realized, now we are going into the 3D dimension with this. By the end of Pi-Day we would be in the 8th or 9th dimension.

Ahh. That adds a whole new dimension to the conversation!

I guess you were quicker than me editing my post.

I guess you were quicker than me editing my post.[/quote]

So I’ll be the chicken and you can be the egg. Who would you say came first?

[quote=“ratlung”]EDIT: I just realized, now we are going into the 3D dimension with this. By the end of Pi-Day we would be in the 8th or 9th dimension.[/quote]According to string theory there are 10 dimensions.

That means we are too slow. Or maybe Pi has no significance in the 10th dimension. But there should be circular strings, no that is only in 2D? Question, what is the proper term to describe the shape/appearance of a 10D object that can be reduced to a circle by transformation into two dimensions.

Basically,

1D → line
2D → cirlce
3D → sphere
4D → ???
5D → ???
6D → ???
7D → ???
8D → ???
9D → ???
10D → big ???

I got an emergency call from a friend who said: “Quick, tash, get on f.com! There’s all this geek talk in some Pi thread! I have no idea what they’re on about, but you’ll love it!”

And here it is.

And I love it.

But, don’t let me interrupt. Go on. I’m listening.

A Hypersphere is a sphere of more than 3 dimensions. a 10 dimensional sphere is called a 9-sphere
A “normal” 3d sphere is a 2-sphere, and a circle is a 1-sphere, a 0-sphere is hard to describe.

Pi is still used, the volume of such a sphere is where n is the number of dimensions-1

[quote=“tash”]And I love it.[/quote]I love chicken pies, yummy.
What pie do you like ?

1. All circles would be polygons.
    So wheels would be square? Or triangular, which reduces the number of bumps.

2. No traffic roundabouts.
    Like in America?

3. We would have to eat square pies.
    Alleycat’s Pizza is never round. I’m sure we could adjust to polygonal pies.

4. We would spill the beer by trying to drink out of a square glass when already drunk
    How can you drink beer that’s already been drunk? Sounds like a circular argument to me.

5. Rectangularly pulsed music sounds terrible.
    How does that work? I thought sound waves were sine curves, and that sines were made out of triangles. Or am I being needlessly stupid today?

You forgot the one about pendulums (penduli?) and the implications for measuring time. Actually I suspect that Taiwan must have redefined the value of Pi in this regard anyway.

[quote="Me, being stupid, "]3. We would have to eat square pies.
Alleycat’s Pizza is never round. I’m sure we could adjust to polygonal pies.[/quote]

D’oh. There wouldn’t be any Pies!!

[quote=“Loretta”]I thought sound waves were sine curves, and that sines were made out of triangles. Or am I being needlessly stupid today?[/quote]Huh ? I think you’re being needlessly stupid, a sine wave the most common wave shape, but there are also square waves which jump from high to low and back, and sawtooth waves (because the wave looks like the teeth on a saw)… and many other shapes probably. Sines and cosines come from circles, not triangles. They used to use log tables, but now they tend to be made of plastic because they’re flatter and easier to write on.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]A Hypersphere is a sphere of more than 3 dimensions. a 10 dimensional sphere is called a 9-sphere
A “normal” 3d sphere is a 2-sphere, and a circle is a 1-sphere, a 0-sphere is hard to describe.

Pi is still used, the volume of such a sphere is where n is the number of dimensions-1[/quote]

Hypersphere, that’s what it was. I was always fascinated by the fact that a hyper-surface area reaches a maximum and then decreases towards 0 as the dimensions increase.

BFM, you must have a topologist background then, since under geometers, a circle is a 2-sphere, where the regular soccer ball is a 3-sphere. But those are details that can be argued about, whether it is useful or not. But it simplifies the argument of the gamma function to (n over 2)

[quote=“Loretta”]1. All circles would be polygons.
So wheels would be square? Or triangular, which reduces the number of bumps.
[/quote]

Technically spoken, a circle is a polygon just with an infinite number of vertices (bumps). So the more vertices you have, the closer the approximation of a polygonial pizza to it is commonly know 2-spherical (topologists: 1-spherical) shape.

That reminds me, what does a mathematican eat on Pi-Day. Of course, PIZZA PIE :smiley: :smiley:

My favorite pie…Moms Apple Pie

friends.s5.net/mazzini/plosce/pie.html

mmmm pie :homer: