Hard beds

The toilet is two feet from the drawer :thinking::wink:

I am willing to bet most of the floor sleepers here are ogres (back sleepers). As a side sleeper, between my shoulder joint and the hard floor/mattress, the floor eventually wins…

I rotate around through four basic positions for the first four hours of sleep: back, side, belly, other side. I’ve learned to prefer a hard bed, and I have wide shoulders. The key for me is that I have two large, dense pillows. When I’m on my side I keep one jammed up in my neck, to support my head and neck. I keep the down arm folded so my hand roughly cups my clavicle. I bend the up leg so the knee is forward, resting atop the second pillow, and the ankle rests just above the down leg’s knee. Then I wiggle around looking for comfort until I fall asleep.

It works for me, but tbh when I wake up in the morning I’m almost always on my belly. I think I spend most of the second four hours of sleep that way.

For me a hard mattress has lessened a situation where I would wake up with a sore lower back. Oddly enough I used to (I think) slightly dislocate my left shoulder on a soft mattress. Doesn’t seem to happen on a harder surface.

1 Like

I sleep in all positions. Sleeping on my side feels the most natural, but I toss and turn just like anyone else. When I can, sleeping on my back is the best for my back/neck, but I can’t always fall asleep like that. It’s really not a big deal.

There are plenty of articles and videos about proper back and neck position and the use or not of pillows and such. I’m no expert, but I’m old enough to have first hand experience of ironic ‘sleeping injuries.’ For me, and everyone else I know who sleeps on a hard floor, nothing else comes close as far as eliminating back, shoulder, and neck issues. I am convinced that soft mattresses play a large role in spinal pain and injury, while a good solid, flat floor does wonders to eliminate such issues.

2 Likes

Your spine and hip loses!