Hard for non-native speaker to get teaching job in Taipei?

Dear fellows,
I just moved to Taiwan to live with my wife and am looking for a teaching job { anything reallly} but with not much success. Mostly it boils down to the fact that I am not a native speaker of English, which is enough for the potential employers to turn me down :aiyo: . I have a MA in teaching English and 6 years of teaching experience from 3 different countries. If you can give me some tips, I would be grateful. Thanks.
email: cara.kubalik@gmail.com

You’re going to have problems unless your passport is from an English speaking country. I assume that you have a marriage visa, so emphasise to the schools that they won’t need to get you an ARC. If you look like the Taiwanese stereotype of an American that will also help. If I were you I’d be tempted to say to potential employers that I’m American and have a marriage ARC, so they don’t need to use my passport to get a work visa. That’s what they’ll say to students anyway. You will also be more likely to get an illegal kindy job, so target kindergartens.

With a masters you can also look at possible lecturer jobs in universities. These are often just glorified ESL jobs anyway.

tomthorne@bitteroldcynic.com

Thank you! I ll see about it…