Harper: Not going to win in Afghanistan

Harper seems to be a slow learner. For a long time he blasted critics of Canadian involvement in Afghanistan, questioned their patriotism, and vowed not to ‘cut and run’. Now he’s waking up to the difficulties.

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]Canadian and other foreign armies can’t defeat the Taliban, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in an interview broadcast Sunday.

“Frankly, we are not going to ever defeat the insurgency,” Mr. Harper said, more than seven years after the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan toppled the Taliban regime. Canadian troops have been fighting and dying in Afghanistan since 2002, but this is the first time the Prime Minister has explicitly said defeating the Islamic extremists can’t be done.

Mr. Harper, in an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria, said that despite sending thousands of soldiers to Afghanistan and suffering more than 100 troop deaths, the “success has been modest” and any gains made could be lost.

“We’re not going to win this war just by staying,” Mr. Harper said, and pointed to the long history of Afghan insurgencies successfully driving out foreign invaders – including the Soviet army in the 1980s and the British a century earlier.

“[From] my reading of Afghanistan history, it’s probably had an insurgency forever, of some kind,” Mr. Harper said.

But Mr. Harper didn’t rule out sending more troops or extending the Canadian combat commitment beyond the current 2011 deadline.[/quote]

He’s also, just now, waking up to the financial troubles.

No word yet on when he’ll wake up to how poorly his petty, partisan style plays. Maybe the day after the next election.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Harper seems to be a slow learner. For a long time he blasted critics of Canadian involvement in Afghanistan, questioned their patriotism, and vowed not to ‘cut and run’. Now he’s waking up to the difficulties.

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]Canadian and other foreign armies can’t defeat the Taliban, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in an interview broadcast Sunday.

“Frankly, we are not going to ever defeat the insurgency,” Mr. Harper said, more than seven years after the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan toppled the Taliban regime. Canadian troops have been fighting and dying in Afghanistan since 2002, but this is the first time the Prime Minister has explicitly said defeating the Islamic extremists can’t be done.

Mr. Harper, in an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria, said that despite sending thousands of soldiers to Afghanistan and suffering more than 100 troop deaths, the “success has been modest” and any gains made could be lost.

“We’re not going to win this war just by staying,” Mr. Harper said, and pointed to the long history of Afghan insurgencies successfully driving out foreign invaders – including the Soviet army in the 1980s and the British a century earlier.

“[From] my reading of Afghanistan history, it’s probably had an insurgency forever, of some kind,” Mr. Harper said.

But Mr. Harper didn’t rule out sending more troops or extending the Canadian combat commitment beyond the current 2011 deadline.[/quote]

He’s also, just now, waking up to the financial troubles.

No word yet on when he’ll wake up to how poorly his petty, partisan style plays. Maybe the day after the next election.[/quote]

I’ve also heard they’re going to play the anti-American card in their attacks on Ignatieff in the runup to the next election(using videotapes of Ignatieff against him where he calls himself an American). If that happens, I’ll hold my nose and vote Liberal. Canada has enough parochial nativists without the Conservatives stoking the fires. That being said, I’ve been impressed with the Conservative’s economic policies in steadfastedly opposing the trade protectionism being espoused by the protectionist wing of the Democratic Party. I particularly like this Wall Street Journal article: