Harper's, Taiwan and dog meat

Harper’s Magazine’s list of Events Related To Taiwan

What is Harper’s trying to do with this peculiar timeline?

That’s hilarious. What a nutty country. Lot’s of good stuff, but my favorite:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]That’s hilarious. What a nutty country. Lot’s of good stuff, but my favorite:

Yeah, I remember that. Coming back from vacation and asking people if anything interesting had happened since I’d been gone. The stock answer, “Nope. Nothing.” Then to discover later that a damn sperm whale had exploded in town… Nothing??? :loco: Got to love Taiwan.

As to the sequence of events? How are they related? Seems a little pointless (although slightly interesting) to me…

The political instability on Taiwan were foreshadowed by the sperm whale incident?

[quote=“Quirky”]Harper’s Magazine’s list of Events Related to Taiwan

What is Harper’s trying to do with this peculiar timeline?[/quote]

Is that a one-time article that appears in a recent edition of the magazine, or is it a permanent Internet wesbite archive they are doing for all countries? and WHO wrote it?

OH, I realized now that it is complied from Harper’s “odds and ends” way of presenting news. If I remember correctly, it is a society magazine meant to be light or mentally enticing stuff. I thought at first that they were picking on Taiwan, but they do it for the whole world.

I don’t like this comment:

Number of years this century in which Taiwan has been directly controlled by mainland China: 4

Really? We’re directly controlled by the mainland?..interesting.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I don’t like this comment:

Number of years this century in which Taiwan has been directly controlled by mainland China: 4

Really? We’re directly controlled by the mainland?..interesting.[/quote]

I don’t think that means presently. Isn’t that referring to some time in the past? 4 years in this century. But I couldn’t guess when they believe those 4 years were.

Edit: oops, I guess This Century begins in 2000. I was thinking it said in the past Century. Would that make sense?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Mordeth”]I don’t like this comment:

Really? We’re directly controlled by the mainland?..interesting.[/quote]

I don’t think that means presently. Isn’t that referring to some time in the past? 4 years in this century. But I couldn’t guess when they believe those 4 years were.

Edit: oops, I guess This Century begins in 2000. I was thinking it said in the past Century. Would that make sense?[/quote]

You realise we’re in the 21st century, MT. Right? So that means there’s only been approximately 6 years (actually more like 5, depending how you look at it).

Unless that was written before 2000 (or they REALLY mean in the LAST/PAST century, rather then THIS century.)