Harry Potter 3

Anyone seen the new Harry Potter yet? What did you think of it?
I just saw it, and it’s definitely a new vision. It’s half kid movie, half art film.
The director is the same guy who directed “Y Tu Mama Tambien.” I love a scene about half-way through the film where Harry, Ron and Hermione huddle together in fear. Their poses are exactly the same as a certain notorious scene in “Tu Mama,” except in “Tu Mama” the two high school guys and the woman were naked and making love.
I guess the next Harry Potter is going to be called “Harry and Hermione Get Laid.”
Enjoy.

I was pleased with the new director, but how could they have gotten much worse than the plodding of Columbus? (For that matter, was Mrs. Doubtfire not a crime against all that is good in the world?)

There was still too much repetition, usually for warm and fuzzy sentimentalism. How many times does it really need to be said that Hermione is a great witch, or that Harry has his mother’s eyes? And I didn’t much care for the CGI involving Professor Lupin.

One thing I liked about HP3 was it didn’t have nearly as much tedious and artificial exposition through dialog as the previous two. (“Oh, look, a blargstark.” “A blargstark? What’s a blargstark?” “A blargstark is a …”)

Overall, nicely done. :thumbsup:

I just came from seeing it and I was bored to tears. :snore:

I loved it - finally, a Harry Potter movie that isn’t just a plain visual retelling of the book. It also worked well with the child actors being a bit older and growing into adolescence, and that kind of added to the ‘darker’ aspect of the film - they’re not little kids any more.

Adult cast were great, although Trelawny wasn’t the way I’d pictured her, and I don’t like Michael Gambon too much as Dumbledore. I was optimistic at the beginning (he looked the part better than I’d expected), but decided it wasn’t working for me towards the end.

The visuals were great - almost TOO much but I love those sweeping shots so it wasn’t a hardship. And I thought there was more humour in this one as well, or at least, I actually laughed during the movie in contrast to the creeping boredom I felt throughout some bits of the prequels.

Much, much better than the first two. I’d watch this one again :slight_smile:

[quote=“daasgrrl”]I loved it - finally, a Harry Potter movie that isn’t just a plain visual retelling of the book. It also worked well with the child actors being a bit older and growing into adolescence, and that kind of added to the ‘darker’ aspect of the film - they’re not little kids any more.

Adult cast were great, although Trelawny wasn’t the way I’d pictured her, and I don’t like Michael Gambon too much as Dumbledore. I was optimistic at the beginning (he looked the part better than I’d expected), but decided it wasn’t working for me towards the end.

The visuals were great - almost TOO much but I love those sweeping shots so it wasn’t a hardship. And I thought there was more humour in this one as well, or at least, I actually laughed during the movie in contrast to the creeping boredom I felt throughout some bits of the prequels.

Much, much better than the first two. I’d watch this one again :slight_smile:[/quote]

I heard there was some three-way action between Ron “Jeremy”, the girl, and Harry “Palms” Potter.

Not a HP fan at all. But I’m still gonna go see it for the DEMENTORS, who apparently are cousins of the NAZGUL from LotR. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

I was re-reading the book last night before bedtime after seeing the movie and looking to spot the inconsistencies (haven’t hit page 75 yet and my head is spinning around all the emissions)…however, I got to the page where Harry first sees a Dementor and I had to put it down because all I could picture where the ones in the movie…I couldn’t possibly have gone to bed with that image in my head. Michael Gambon is so-so, but he’s definitely no Richard Harris. He just doesn’t have that sparkle in his eye and voice like Harris did. Maybe as he continues the role, he’ll improve. Just watched the first one and it’s amazing how much the kids have matured since the first one. The twins were the big surprise…wow!

Overall, I think it was a great movie for the effects although I could have done without the physical comedy at the beginning. I was rolling my eyes. It’s not really a kids’ movie, or at least for ones who would find slapstick humor that funny (okay, the Whomping Willow bits were funny). The dementors should have been a clear sign of that. I can’t wait for the fifth one…okay, and the fourth one, but I really want to see how they do The Order of the Phoenix…I hope they do it in two parts to do it justice instead of cutting it apart and pasting bits and pieces like they did with this one to make it fit the right time frame for keeping kids engaged. I hope the same thing for the Goblet of Fire too. It would be wrong to take a 500+ page book where details are vital to understanding the story and make it into a 90 minute movie. Or even a 142-minute one like this one was.

To quote Nancy Reagan “Just say No.”

I was dissapointed in the movie, alot of important things were left out of the film. This said, I liked the direction it took.

er, omissions, not emissions…damn hukt on fawnix proagram. I’d blame a typo, but the ‘e’ and ‘o’ are pretty far from each other on the keyboard.

Don’t they sell Beano in Taiwan? You could pull the blanket over your head and play “covered wagon.” :wink:

Don’t they sell Beano in Taiwan? You could pull the blanket over your head and play “covered wagon.” :wink:[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: Best laugh I’ve had all day. I love a good fart joke. Thank you.

I’m waiting to see HP3 with some younger relatives. I enjoy kid movies much more when I take the kids with me.

So, does Harry really lie in bed playing with his wand under the covers?

Yes. Another instance of the too sexually-aware director. I guess it gives the parents something to think about while their kids are going, “But wait, that’s not how it happened in the book!” over and over and over throughout the film.

Sorry to those of you who liked it. It really disappointed me. Most of all the Dementors. Where was the gripping fear I was supposed to feel, like I and many others did with the Nazgul of LotR? Bleh…and don’t even get me started on the atrocious editing. I guess it’s not easy compressing a book into 2.5 hours…but LotR seemed to do it just fine in it’s timeframe.

5/10…not even worth giving a full review on. :noway:

I was more afraid of Dementors than of the Naz-gul. Nazgul can stab you with their swords to make you feel cold, but the Dementors suck away your ability to ever be happy or can give you the Kiss which sucks out your soul. Fare scarier. Their scabby, slimy hands tugging at the door, floating toward you, swooping around you to suck out your soul… :astonished:

it wouldn’t do to scare the bejeezus out of a bunch of kids Steve :slight_smile:

i enjoyed it. i thought it was true to the book. anyone was going to have a hell of a time matching up to the old dumbledore. most of the genius of this series has been the casting. as far as the new actors, i thought sirius was on the money, but lupin seemed much too snazzy and healthy, i was expecting something way different there.

looking forward to the next one! 4th book was by far my favorite.

Unfortunately, if you are stabbed by the Morgul blade of a Nazgul, much more than “feeling cold” happens, ImaniOU. You slowly and painfully become one of them and live a damned existence for all time unless your master is destroyed. Then you just fade into nothingness.

So tell me again which one is worse? :wink:

iT WAS A REAL GOOD MOVIE. Much better than the other two.

Brian

[quote=“Jack Burton”]
I heard there was some three-way action between Ron “Jeremy”, the girl, and Harry “Palms” Potter.[/quote]

I noticed this too, Jack. First, she’s all scared and jumps into Ron’s arms, but later gets into a little clinch with Harry and the time-machine/bondage necklace thing. Freudian field-day going on there, if you ask me.

Cheers,
CK

A real improvement on the earlier two. The kids can almost act now which really helps. I no longer hope beyond hope for nasty things to happen to Hermione. I also like the fact that quiditch has almost been kicked out of the film - bloody annoying non-sensical game. I reckon the next films will be even better as the characters in the books become more interesting (and less nice).