Hartzell's column in Taiwan News weekly news-magazine

In early November 2004 I was invited to do a small weekly column in the (Chinese language) TAIWAN NEWS weekly news-magazine. My topic is the Taiwan sovereignty question, and I write roughly 2000 words a week.

I have had six columns published so far. For anyone who is interested, I believe the current TAIWAN NEWS weekly edition #164 is a very good one. I have a chart which explains Taiwan’s international legal status, sovereignty, ROC’s position, etc. in elaborate detail, and from various different points of view. The accompanying wordage then explains the formation of an “independent self-governing overseas territory” under international law.

I regret that these weekly articles are not posted online, nor do I have English translations available.

As for how to locate a copy of this magazine, it is probably better to visit the bigger outlets, such as your local bookstore or department store. Some local convenience stores also carry the TAIWAN NEWS weekly news-magazine, but I have never found it in 7-11.

It’s a shame 95% of the foreigners here won’t be able to read it. It sounds like an interesting topic and one the foreigners would be interested in. :frowning: Best of luck.

Going to the office of the Taiwan News is worth it for the pics that they have in the window of some fashion thing some time ago. A couple of those babes have amazing balconies! And I am not kidding!

(Dec. 23rd issue) – This week in issue #165 I am discussing the various international laws which are “more important” to the USA, in terms of dealing with Taiwan, than the founding fathers’ ideals of liberty, freedom, human rights, etc.

I believe that many Taiwanese people are confused about this.

My mistake, the pics are in the window of the Taiwan Times, not the News.

(Jan. 6th issue) – This week in issue #167 I am discussing the primary strategy whereby Taiwan can defeat the PRC’s proposed anti-sucession law. Importantly, there must be the clear recognition that October 25, 1945 was not “Taiwan Retrocession Day,” and much closer examination of the true nature of the functioning of the Taiwan Relations Act and the US Constitution in regard to US aadministrative authority over Taiwan.

I believe that many Taiwanese people are confused about this.

What better possible strategy can there be than just to ignore the frigging thing and keep an eye on China’s militarization? Why argue until you are blue in the face over legal niceties about which China does not care one jot and will ignore if the day comes?

Which is to say, there is no primary strategy when it comes to the rantings of Chinese aggression masquerading as law. If Taiwan is not prepared to defend itself, US aid or no US aid, then it is screwed. That’s it. Argument over.

You would be far better off, methinks, trying to tell any legislator who actually takes you seriously that Taiwanese at the end of the day are on their own, or at least must assume so, and that little pieces of paper with a PRC stamp are a complete distraction from the main game.

Can you get the English paper to take it up. I would be interested in reading this.

You think and type this out in Chinese or think it out in English then translate?

[quote=“zhujianlun”]What better possible strategy can there be than just to ignore the frigging thing and keep an eye on China’s militarization? Why argue until you are blue in the face over legal niceties about which China does not care one jot and will ignore if the day comes?

Which is to say, there is no primary strategy when it comes to the rantings of Chinese aggression masquerading as law. If Taiwan is not prepared to defend itself, US aid or no US aid, then it is screwed. That’s it. Argument over.[/quote]
I suppose that I am being immodest, but I believe you would be well advised to read my article.

If your Chinese is less than fluent, then you could read it in the accompaniment of a Taiwanese associate.

You must have a pre-publication or published version available in your files. How about posting that? Then everyone can see it. If there is a copyright issue then just post the core of the article and call it a “citation.”

But in any case I suspect my original post still stands. No amount of legalese is going to stop China from taking what it thinks is rightfully its own

sir,
are your articles generating much feedback from taiwanese?