Hartzell's Proposal to Jian Guo Dang & ADT

[quote=“Chou”]Here is my proposal to Mr. Harzell.

Help Jianguo Dang to lobby the USA government to offer Taiwanese citizenship or green card.

Allow Taiwanese to hold dual citizenship or waive the residency requirement while holding green card (must live in USA territory). There will be a long line at AIT.[/quote]

There’d be no one left in Taiwan, except for maybe a few Forumosans and the old and infirm.

I agree that a clear action plan is what Taiwan Independence supporters lack. Hopefully your ideas will be given more consideration by the pan-green side.

The response from a local to this statement would be something like: “but considering that he’s not an ROC citizen and he holds a US passport, then how can we be sure he’ll be here when the shit hits the fan?” Talk is cheap. Making the commitment involved in becoming an ROC citizen is not.[/quote]

On this point I disagree. There are many people in the US who are not US citizens but contribute to its political processes. I’m sure Mr H has been here longer than most of us and has contributed thru his actions many of the things that you now benefit from.

I don’t hold myself to be any better than Hartzell just because I became an ROC national.

[quote=“wix”]You are wasting your time trying to promote the argument that Taiwan is a territory of the USA. Sure, there may be very good historic and legal reasons for your argument and I don’t doubt that you have researched it very thoroughly. The problem is it is no longer relevant or helpful. The only useful argument regarding Taiwan’s status is that Taiwan’s sovereignty rests with the people of Taiwan and only the people of Taiwan can make any decision about it…

The Taiwan Indepedence Party should be a loud voice for Taiwan’s independence. It is important that there are strong, uncompromising voices for Taiwan’s independence because it creates more po,litical space for realistic and achievable moves towards independence by the DPP and other moderate, mainstream groups.[/quote]

This is spot on. It couldn’t have been expressed any better.

The other possibility to consider is for the JGD to up the depiction of China as it really is

Perhaps a better way to position Taiwan is to make a statement that says sure, reunification is possible, but (clause #1) Only after the mainland has a government that is elected by and represents the people. This statement will lead to a more practical status quo based on reality since it implies the only way Taiwan will even think about reunification is if China changes first. Taiwan has to give the impression they don

They chopped off half his foot. I imagine he said “ouch” or something much more ruder. What is a swear word in Swahili? I certainly wouldn’t be saying “Where my toe be”?