Has anybody taken a lifeguard test in Taiwan

Heyo, is there a difference between this and the open water courses offered by the Taiwanese Red Cross?

I have taken my lifeguard test here in Taiwan. I am certified as a “surf” lifeguard and it is recognized by the International Life Saving Federation (ILS). If you already have a lifeguard certificate, you may be able to convert it to be recognized here in Taiwan via ILS.

I am in the process of establishing West Bay Nippers 西子灣兒童衝浪救生

I am a founding member of this youth lifesaving club here in Kaohsiung and our first official season starts in March 2023. I am updating my certifications. If you need more information about “surf” lifesaving, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Graeme Charles - West Bay Nippers 西子灣兒童衝浪救生

3 Likes

Reminder: All West Bay Nippers training sessions at Xizihwan (Uni Beach) are for free. You can attend as many sessions as you like.
Trial Period: SURF/PLAY

What do the training sessions involve?
Do they lead to lifeguard certification or various levels?
Is there a non-Facebook site for those without FB?

thanks-

The main focus is on surf safety. Certficates are available for different levels of competence. We have a private Line Group for updates and schedules. A Google Document of the West Bay information guidebook is also available upon request. Please PM and I will add you to the group.

The website is under construction.

I can provide more details here:

Adults and university students: Im available Wednesdays and Fridays for surf safety training. Free of charge.

Junior and senior high school students: Training is available.

Elementary school-aged children:

Welcome to our fun and friendly club, where everyone is valued and supported regardless of skill level or experience in the surf.

The West Bay Nippers activities program introduces children aged 6 to 11 to surf safety.

Your child will learn many skills throughout the program, including surf awareness, how to perform a surf rescue, and problem-solving.

Please note that West Bay Nippers is not a learn-to-swim program. We strongly encourage your child to attend swim lessons.

As with all programs involving young people, the parents/guardians and volunteers make it a success. We’d love you to volunteer your time and talents to ensure the training activities run smoothly for everyone.

Parents/Guardians can provide support and encouragement in the water with their kids. We need sufficient Water Safety personnel for our water events to go ahead.

Finally, I’d love to hear your feedback throughout the season, particularly on ways to improve the surf safety experience for you and future lifesavers.

Sincerely,

Graeme Charles - West Bay Nippers 西子灣兒童衝浪救生

2 Likes