Has anyone been able to open a bank account with LINE Bank using an ARC?

I imagine there’s a ticket for it on someone’s JIRA board, but it just got pushed back a few more sprints because the product manager wants to rebuild the home page screen again.

3 Likes

Woah. Just read about the guy. Richard Hartzell is the man.

2 Likes

Companies that use Jira = :poop:

Accurate :smiley:

There is another practical problem on the government’s end that if fixed would help speed this up. MOI does not provide a API-based system to automatically validate ARC numbers, whereas one exists for nationals.

7 Likes

To clarify, not just validate (in algorithmic way), but also verify that an A(P)RC number is assigned to that person by checking in government database(s).

It is too easy to generate valid ARC/Taiwan nationals ID numbers. Banks want a 100% guarantee that the ID number provided is correct for online applications.

5 Likes

That’s the one, thanks!

1 Like

Just checking…
Are the rules still the same? No foreigners allowed in Line Bank?

I have initiated an administrative appeal against the FSC since after a complaint I have lodged against Line bank for discriminatory practice the FSC just couldn’t be bothered to do their job.

1 Like

Neither banks nor the government are moving quick on this to help foreigners fix the issue. Hopefully next year we have Fido extended to be a usable online identification for foreigners as well, then banks have to implement this into their online applications.

Foreigner online bank applications 2030 is on the way!

Meanwhile you have time to do something else, like Seven years in Tibet Taiwan.

2 Likes

With whom?

The administrative appeal is lodged with the FSC against their banking bureau, this is the procedure. If unsatisfied, can escalate to the executive yuan.

4 Likes

Does anyone who has been able to open a Line or other online bank account know whether they ask FATCA information?

1 Like

I tried opening an account back when I was living here on a TARC but it wouldn’t let me. It said TARC and ARC not accepted.

In any case, I don’t think you’ll like them. Lots of stores (including 7-11, iirc) won’t take cards issued by Line Bank because they’re not a “合作銀行”

1 Like

I’m just curious whether these online banks have been able to get around FATCA reporting obligations by refusing service to foreigners (but not taking into account dual nationals). Maybe it reduces a lot of paperwork for them so they don’t want to bother. Also curious if they ask CRS information.

1 Like

they try to limit that as much as possible by allowing currently on TW nationals born in taiwan to apply. pathetic

2 Likes

I wonder if they are being compliant here, since Line has business operations in the US and they are supposed to be reporting FATCA for dual Taiwanese/US nationals using Line bank or Line’s US assets may be subject to FATCA penalties. I’m sure their tax lawyers reviewed this though.

currently on a fight with FSC to make them compliant to TW financial laws, which they r not.

5 Likes

I believe one of the questions they ask is citizenships, and if the answer is anything beyond Taiwan, the app doesn’t allow you to continue with the sign-up process.

1 Like

It would be possible for a Taiwan-born Taiwanese citizen to have tax obligations in the U.S. and for LINE Bank to need to report info under FATCA though, I think (?). Excluding all foreigners from using LINE Bank doesn’t seem to completely remove their FATCA reporting obligations, although it might reduce them.

Yeah, I guess it’ll take some time for them to refuse to entertain our appeals. :whistle:

I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that the only purpose of filing administrative appeals with the FSC, who appears to consistently reject them, is that it seems to be a necessary step for commencing administrative litigation under the Administrative Litigation Act. I seriously doubt our appeals in themselves are going to accomplish much.

I’m contemplating submitting an MOI complaint against LINE Bank and the others when I have time (although that won’t necessarily be more productive).

5 Likes

You will find any appeals will slow down significantly, they will make you wait months even years to get back to you. They are hoping to wear the person down until they no longer care. Then it will be denied.
It’s eventually going to take lawsuits but even then I doubt judges will side against the government for us.

2 Likes