Has anyone been burgled?

Nice Swedish umbrellas are as collectable as Trekkie paraphernalia.

[quote=“marboulette”]You could just get a big dog. When surveyed, burglars were almost anonymous to say that the best burglar deterrent is a barking dog. It was on National Geographic TV a little while ago. I guess my house is bombproof-burglar-safe. :slight_smile:

marboulette[/quote]

A dog like this? :laughing:
youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA

[quote=“Brendon”]
*: How do you say 騎樓 in English?[/quote]

I am guessing porch.

Well, my department is certainly reacting to our recent laptop theft - I arrived this morning to find wires everywhere as video cameras were being installed at the end of each hallway. Not sure how much that’ll actually help, as it kind of depends on the police being competent enough to actually catch any thieves caught on tape. Hmmm, unless they think it’s an inside job. :ponder: Or maybe the theft is an excuse and the cameras are really for monitoring the grad students (gotta make sure they’re here 14 hours a day, not off being slackers)… :slight_smile:

We have a rottweiler and a sign that says we have a rottweiler in English and Chinese, so no we have never been burgled.

My next-door neighbour awoke one afternoon to find two kids rifling through his bedroom drawers. The old boy’s in his 70s but he jumped out of bed and gave them both a right good panelling before frogmarching them down the street to the copshop.
Strange thing is, HIS place has barred windows and he was at home, while our side of the semi-detached property has no bars and was empty at the time.

Where can I buy one of those? (the sign, that is. Any dog bigger than the one I have now would have me running for the hills)

The local cops pasted an ad giving safety tips and their office number to call in case we see anything suspicious on every building in our neighborhood. There have been a couple of incidents and I personally blame them on youngsters from the nearby technical high schools. Most kids cut through our neighborhood on the way to and from school, and they make such a mess either them or someone dressed in their uniforms might be able to take advantage of teh situation and grab things that are not bolted down.

Thanks man that just made my day…

My dictionary gives ‘arcade; covered way; overhang’. It’s not very colloquial in English, the way it is in Mandarin, is it?[/quote]

portico?[/quote]

But that’s a little different, I think:

e.g.

How about “overhanging roof over the sidewalk” or “covered sidewalk”? Or covered sidewalk arcade, especially if there are supporting columns with arches atop.

Where can I buy one of those? (the sign, that is. Any dog bigger than the one I have now would have me running for the hills) .[/quote]

My wife just bought some stickers and letters at the local book shop and did it herself.

Where can I buy one of those? (the sign, that is. Any dog bigger than the one I have now would have me running for the hills) .[/quote]

My wife just bought some stickers and letters at the local book shop and did it herself.[/quote]

My wife just bought some stickers and letters at the local book shop and did it herself.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha, thankfully she doesn’t suffer from the fuck assed cha bu duo mentality, however have a dog does sound nice doesn’t it?

Doesn’t sound especially nice to me. “Dogs for tracks.”

mmm… dogs…

Saw a sign in the US once:

“Please break into my house so I can legally kill you”.

[quote=“cake”]Saw a sign in the US once:

“Please break into my house so I can legally kill you”.[/quote]
Wonder if that applies here in Taiwan. My baseball bat is collecting dust.

Although there are some break-ins in Taiwan, it is still, in my opinion, much safer than the old country. i never had a break in, but my car got stolen once. The bastrds held it for ransom, but when i didnt pay the ransom, the police found the car in a parking garage where it was parked [underground, nontheless] for a couple of weeks. Ended up paying a massive parking fee of about $6000!