Has anyone ever done one of those ancestor DNA test kits when they’re in Taiwan?

Which one offers service in Taiwan?

I used a kit from Chabuduo Genetics in Sanchong. It told me I was 100% 阿啄仔.

4 Likes

Doesn’t ancestry.com ship to Taiwan?

I was also wondering about this a couple of months back (don’t remember why). I imagine it’d be better to go with an international company rather than Chabuduo Genetics, for obvious reasons. I remember looking briefly at a few services but not finding anything that seemed both convenient and not too expensive. Would be interested to hear if you find anything though.

I tried to sign up and they said they are only offered in the US or Canada, or a short list of countries that always (predictably) excludes Taiwan.

But they still keep sending me spams.

1 Like

I tried to google Chabuduo Genetics and literally 0 results haha, did I miss the joke, or something? hahaha

1 Like

Bingo!

2 Likes

Maybe this is normal but I heard that 23andme gives an opportunity to see
any other people in the world that you are related to given their data is also available.

So not only to see your ancestry, traits, background, or to compare with child or parent, but literally anyone and it will tell you who they are.

Does 23andme or another western DNA company provide services directly in Taiwan?

What does the kit shipping container look like? Box or envelope or ???

This is a marketing pic from site.

Screenshot_20211212-021347_Chrome

Note: 23andme does not ship to Taiwan.

Is there any fine print of where they sell the DNA info to, if any? :whistle:

My impression is that they’re very Western centric… meaning if you are of Chinese descent they will likely not have any information. Plus, they are pretty much confined to western countries.

I did the My Heritage DNA and it was fun to what what I expected plus a surprise. It also explained a few minor health conditions.
My best friend from Tainan did the same test and she also was surprised. Not Han Chinese and Dutch, but Han Chinese and Korean.
It is very generic and will make suggestions about relatives of you are a user of My Heritage. It correctly found my first cousin and others.

2 Likes

That sounds a bit scary.

I think you have to want to be found by signing up for the service.

Yea, but it sounds like the company will keep your personal information for as long as they operate.

Do the different main DNA testing companies share information with each other?

In other words, will you get info about family that they all hold or do you have to DNA test with different companies to compare with that particular company on who you might be related?

So does my heritage ship to taiwan?

Yes. I ordered it from Taiwan.

Hi
I plan to do the test. How do you send the sample to the laboratory? Do you use the post office? How do you declare the package?
Thank you for your response in advance

I recall seeing someone claim they did this twice with the same company and received different results.

You might want to mention the company you’re thinking of using? I’ve never done one but I did think about it a couple of years ago.

I wonder if there are local options in Taiwan/Asia? I remember reading about some of the classifications used by certain Western companies being a bit vague and unhelpful for non-American/European people (e.g., “97% East Asian”) because their DNA databases are skewed to the samples they’ve already received. Maybe things have improved since then, but I wonder if it’s more informative to select the company based on the sender’s ethnicity.

I wouldn’t really want to pay a Taiwanese ancestry service to tell me I’m “100% 外國人”, for example. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes